Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default luke campbell to matchroom

i have 'heard' he is going to matchroom as he has turned down golden boy?

He , like ogogo , has got plenty of media attention due to dancing on ice

How far can he go in the pro's? I always thought his style was more for am's and seems to lack power ??
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
fortysixando
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: luke campbell to matchroom

he will go further than ogogo imo.i think he will do relatively well maybe a euro title
fortysixando is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Fileepe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 125

Lovely lil stable Eddie's putting together. Just hope he backs it up with decent cards.
Fileepe is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaboilc lion View Post
i have 'heard' he is going to matchroom as he has turned down golden boy?

He , like ogogo , has got plenty of media attention due to dancing on ice

How far can he go in the pro's? I always thought his style was more for am's and seems to lack power ??
Was this for the mooted GBP UK arm? Or was it an international deal?

I suppose it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than what happens to many GBP fighters - they just get lost in the push.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Good luck to him. Team Matchroom is becoming the A Team .
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Was this for the mooted GBP UK arm? Or was it an international deal?

I suppose it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than what happens to many GBP fighters - they just get lost in the push.
we haven't really seen what GBP are gonna do with the UK fighters they have signed so hard to know if it will be a bad move, but i can imagine it will be like your thinking DF.

Matchroom is the best place for young British fighters right now.

Joshua is still out there.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
we haven't really seen what GBP are gonna do with the UK fighters they have signed so hard to know if it will be a bad move, but i can imagine it will be like your thinking DF.
Ogogo apparently fighting in Both the US and UK next year so not sure if that'll be their plan for the longer term with all their signings. Good exposure while coming through the ranks on both sides of the ocean seems to be a good plan.
Broony is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broony View Post
Ogogo apparently fighting in Both the US and UK next year so not sure if that'll be their plan for the longer term with all their signings. Good exposure while coming through the ranks on both sides of the ocean seems to be a good plan.
they have said there not interested in doing small hall shows. Other than Amir Khan they don't have a fighter that would be able to headline an arena. So can't see how its going to work.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
they have said there not interested in doing small hall shows. Other than Amir Khan they don't have a fighter that would be able to headline an arena. So can't see how its going to work.
Good point bout not having a main event fighter other than Khan, didn't think about that. They defo said he'd fight 4 times here and 4 is the US next year tho so no idea.
Broony is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:

Matchroom is the best place for young British fighters right now.

Joshua is still out there.
I genuinely don't see what GBP is doing with these plans. It's done a decent job of mounting good local cards and getting them some smaller broadcast deals in the US, but how will that work in the UK?

There's only three channels - and two of them are on pay platforms and one of those is already locked down to one contractor. Unless that's the point...

But there's no outlet, so unless GBP is looking to subcontract to others like Coldwell, Hatton and Hayemaker... I just don't get the point.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I genuinely don't see what GBP is doing with these plans. It's done a decent job of mounting good local cards and getting them some smaller broadcast deals, but how will that work in the UK?

There's only three channels - and two of them are on play platforms and one of those is already locked down to one contractor. Unless that's the point...

But there's no outlet, so unless GBP is looking to subcontract to others like Coldwell, Hatton and Hayemaker... I just don't get the point.
Hearn did say he had met with Schaefer this week so maybe there looking to work together. Hearn did say he thinks Schaefer is overestimating the opportunities in the UK.

the amount of money Sky pay Matchroom for a world title fight is a fraction of what HBO/Showtime pay them. So if they were to stage a fight such as Leo Santa Cruz vs Jamie McDonnel over here, its not going to make as much money.

If they were going to work with Coldwell, Hatton and Hayemaker etc there fighters still won't be on TV.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Of all the olympians Campbell has the most "amateur" style, King Edward needs to match him very carefully.

Luke is gonna have to make a lot of adjustments if he's gonna be a successful pro.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Of all the olympians Campbell has the most "amateur" style, King Edward needs to match him very carefully.

Luke is gonna have to make a lot of adjustments if he's gonna be a successful pro.
will you be the same guy calling him shit when he isn't british champ after 6 months?
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Good signing if it's true. The only two promotional companies for a young fighter are Hennessy and Matchroom. You look at a fighter like Scott Quigg, who is on the verge of a world title shot, and nobody knows who he is, nor does he even have anything on the horizon. It's sad that careers can go to waste so suddenly because the promoters can't or won't do their jobs properly. The only stability out there is with either Hennessy or Matchroom, who both have very good contracts. A fighter signing to them knows that they'll get regular action, get paid on time and have lots of exposure. None of the other promotional companies can offer that a young boxer like Campbell should be after.

Hopefully Campbell does sign with Matchroom. I wonder how big of an attraction he'll be in his hometown? A new market, perhaps?
Jack is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Hearn did say he had met with Schaefer this week so maybe there looking to work together. Hearn did say he thinks Schaefer is overestimating the opportunities in the UK.
It seems Eddie's suffering the same thing when it comes to Froch...
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum