Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #47
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: luke campbell to matchroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
He look's like he's afraid to get hit. Doesn't look like he has a tough bone in his body either.
He's got a Gold medal from the olymic games your move
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #48
BUSTER
Contender
ESB Senior Member

hel suprise a few ppl class boxer hit but dont get hit is the name of the game and the most decorated amatuer boxer in gb history 'he doesnt have a tough bone in his body' dont be a clown
BUSTER is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #49
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
He look's like he's afraid to get hit. Doesn't look like he has a tough bone in his body either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Which is what, exactly?

People criticise Frank because he puts on poor shows for the fans, often with one decent fight and then an undercard of mismatches, such as the Gavin card. He's also criticised for putting on horrible main events, such as Burns/Laryea or Burns/Evensen. Fans rightly criticise him for things like not paying fighters too.

So I'm not sure how this PPV is remotely similar to the reasons Frank gets criticism.

You have an issue with this fight being on PPV because you don't personally see it as worthy of it. That's fair enough, people will always have different opinions on whether a fight is worth it or not. However, the promoter is the one who takes the risk by putting it on PPV. If people agree with you and it's a flop, it'll bite Eddie on the arse. If he's right and it's a success, he'll make money off it. Neither of those things are problematic for the fans. We aren't being tied into a contract or anything like that, we're being offered the choice of whether we want to see the fight or not. If we do, pay the 15 and if not, don't pay it. Simple. It's not like we're being ripped off or conned.

When Eddie starts refusing to pay fighters, ties fans down to a long contract, offers awful undercards and mismatches in the main event, they'll be comparable. Until then, they're not.
Froch vs Mack
The Christmas ******* card
Prizefighter

Haye vs Chisora
Burns vs Mitchell
Mag 7 (VVarren's last PPV)
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #50
GJM
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 295

Matchroom have an exclusive boxing deal with Sky and a much wider deal that covers a huge amount of content. (Darts, fishing, snooker, poker etc.) The odd event or show that loses money would be viewed as a cost of doing business and maintaining that deal. If they're losing money here, it's more than likely in the knowledge that they're getting it back somewhere else. Sky clearly are going to demand the odd major event.

I'm not the Hearn's biggest fan, but they didn't get to where they are by being idiots.
GJM is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #51
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post

Froch vs Mack
Prizefighter

Haye vs Chisora
Burns vs Mitchell
People have drawn lines when it comes to Eddie and Frank, it seems. Unwilling to see a balanced view. The only reason this fight is on ppv is because Hearn has overpaid. Froch is barely a name in the UK.

As a fan, you should want ppv to fail.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #52
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Matchroom have an exclusive boxing deal with Sky and a much wider deal that covers a huge amount of content. (Darts, fishing, snooker, poker etc.) The odd event or show that loses money would be viewed as a cost of doing business and maintaining that deal. If they're losing money here, it's more than likely in the knowledge that they're getting it back somewhere else. Sky clearly are going to demand the odd major event.

I'm not the Hearn's biggest fan, but they didn't get to where they are by being idiots.
Then Eddie shouldn't complain about not making much profit. I also doubt that Sky is looking to put its biggest events away from its general viewership.

I thought St Eddie was trying to grow the sport? This seems a contradictory approach. If this was the cost of doing business, then why not speculate the accumulate?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #53
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
As a fan, you should want ppv to fail.
The financial reality is that certain fights cannot/will not happen without PPV & the income it generates. If no PPV= no big fights for British fighters & fans then that cant be a good thing.

Nobody wants to see the return of shit PPV fights like Khan-Salita but if its the only way to bring a big star to the UK for a major fight then I'll support it with my 15.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #54
GJM
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 295

Eddie trying to grow the sport? Eddie's trying to make money. Sometimes the two go hand in hand, sometimes they don't, but it will always be profit first.

On Sky not wanting to put it's biggest events away from customers... that ones a bit more difficult. Only thing I can think is they know time's up on Froch. He's got 1 or 2 more big nights left in him and his stock isn't going to get dramatically bigger. Cash in now. Someone like Brook would get treated differently as he's so much younger. You have time to build up his following and cash in over a longer period. Sky have also had some changes at senior management level since the Matchroom deal was done - it's not inconceivable that they're softened their attitude to PPV.
GJM is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #55
ashedward
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post

Froch vs Mack
Prizefighter

Haye vs Chisora
Burns vs Mitchell
I might be wrong but wasn't franks last ppv groves-degale which had no credibility as a ppv event
ashedward is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #56
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Wink Re: luke campbell to matchroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
The financial reality is that certain fights cannot/will not happen without PPV & the income it generates. If no PPV= no big fights for British fighters & fans then that cant be a good thing.

Nobody wants to see the return of shit PPV fights like Khan-Salita but if its the only way to bring a big star to the UK for a major fight then I'll support it with my 15.
I don't think that's entirely right. Kessler-Froch II could have been made in Denmark. It's because Eddie and Carl want it over here that it's on ppv.

I'm fine with ppv like Hatton's mayweather and Manny fights. Those are huge and well worth it. This is a rematch with very little on the line where one if the fighters has been looking very faded.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #57
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashedward View Post
I might be wrong but wasn't franks last ppv groves-degale which had no credibility as a ppv event
That was a farce and had no place on ppv. But it got a lot more media attention than Froch/Kessler II is...
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #58
Dennison
Guru
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashedward View Post
yes
Dennison is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #59
AndyPaterson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 625

personally felt that Campbell would have been more suited to the WSB.
AndyPaterson is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #60
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I don't think that's entirely right. Kessler-Froch II could have been made in Denmark. It's because Eddie and Carl want it over here that it's on ppv.

I'm fine with ppv like Hatton's mayweather and Manny fights. Those are huge and well worth it. This is a rematch with very little on the line where one if the fighters has been looking very faded.
Fair enough but I think you're selling this fight a little short, Froch-Kessler 1 was by far the best fight of the super6. What the rematch lacks in significance it makes up for in terms of entertainment.

Froch has a belt & Kessler has a paper one, Mikkel is a little faded but this fight will almost certainly be an entertaining, competitive & all action affair between 2 very good, evenly matched world class operators. The winner will probably get another fight with Ward.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum