Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #61
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,893
vCash: 75
Default Re: Double standards among boxing fans, at its finest

If he usually comes in at early 150s, and then has suddenly turned up in early 160s, then I have to say that's pretty strange. Maybe a mistake was made with the scales or this time round he was wearing a lot of clothes, but **** me, 164 is a hell of a lot for a junior welterweight to be coming in at. It can be argued that perhaps he's having to kill himself to make weight, but if he's not and stripping weight for him is easy, then he's got himself a massive advantage there.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #62
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 15,760
vCash: 162
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Nothing wrong.

Not his fault the rules allow for/encourage it.

Ortiz entered vs. Mayweather at 164 as a WW and that was a huge balloon as Ortiz was mammoth. Matthysse, a JWW, at 164?!?!
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #63
Dipset
Dipset4Ever
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 639
Default Re: Double standards among boxing fans, at its finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONSENSE2002 View Post
so i woke up this morning and i saw the results from the matthyse-dallas fight, and i gotta say some of you guys who are giving matthyse a free pass for coming in as a middleweight deserve to be ashamed of yourself, its funny how the same people hate on chavez jr for doing the same thing. coming into a contest 3 divisions above you're divisional weight is shameful. chavez jr and matthyse deserve equal criticism for it.
Absolutely right, same with Mayweather out weighing JMM BY 4 pounds but nobody said anything when pacquiao was exactly 4 pounds bigger than JMM...

Straight BS.
Dipset is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #64
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: It's Like I'm a Movie Star
Posts: 22,948
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySteward View Post
When they weigh in on fight night they are wearing all their clothes and jewelry etc. Doubt the reading is accurate

Yea this varies. Some fighters take off to the their boxers, others hop on fully clothed.

He could of been clothed with accessories etc.
eze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #65
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 3000
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

I'm not having it, there's no way he was that weight in the ring last night that's insane.
Chappy112 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #66
jeromejones
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Anyone who supports mayweathers "protect yourselves at all times" shenanigans should have no problem with this. Rules are rules and morals dont play a part in these folk
jeromejones is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #67
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Double standards among boxing fans, at its finest

Sorry,what rule(s) has LMM broken?
Has he been caught using diuretics?
Yet another laughable thread about **** all.
And I don't care if he comes in at 170 without his clothes or jewellery.He has't been caught cheating and is operating within the rules.
Wasn't it found to be 153? Earlier on someone said it was 153 fully clothed and 163 was a typo.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #68
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Something that I've never got my head around...can someone explain to me how it's physically possible to gain 25lbs in 1 day? And I guess the other half of the question- if it's just "rehydration", how much water weight can you drain from your system while still retaining the same "real" weight on fight night and not actually losing mass? What are the limits to this?
Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #69
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Also, applying this logic- if Mayweather enters the ring at a hydrated 150lbs, isn't he theoretically still a "blown up featherweight/super-featherweight" who just doesn't bother cutting like some guys do? There seems to be massive double standards when it comes to assessing someone's "natural weight class".
Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #70
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: It's Like I'm a Movie Star
Posts: 22,948
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post
Something that I've never got my head around...can someone explain to me how it's physically possible to gain 25lbs in 1 day? And I guess the other half of the question- if it's just "rehydration", how much water weight can you drain from your system while still retaining the same "real" weight on fight night and not actually losing mass? What are the limits to this?

It varies, what one person can do another can't.

Usually most people can shed 10lbs of water weight easily. Some can shed 15lbs easily etc.

I have a friend who cuts 20lbs for his MMA bouts. But he doesn't eat for a whole day, and is forced to sit in a sauna for hours on end.
eze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #71
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: It's Like I'm a Movie Star
Posts: 22,948
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post
Also, applying this logic- if Mayweather enters the ring at a hydrated 150lbs, isn't he theoretically still a "blown up featherweight/super-featherweight" who just doesn't bother cutting like some guys do? There seems to be massive double standards when it comes to assessing someone's "natural weight class".


No, Mayweathers grown into his body. He's fighting at his ideal weight. (he could cut to 140)

Being blown up, is guys who don't belong at higher weights.

It'd be like if Pacquaio added 15lbs of muscle and fought at middleweight. He'd be a blown up fighter.
eze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #72
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
It varies, what one person can do another can't.

Usually most people can shed 10lbs of water weight easily. Some can shed 15lbs easily etc.

I have a friend who cuts 20lbs for his MMA bouts. But he doesn't eat for a whole day, and is forced to sit in a sauna for hours on end.
Out of interest, would you say your friend cuts simply to give himself the best opportunity against smaller guys, or because he only reaches his "natural weight class" by cutting 20lbs?

In other words, are people who naturally carry more water weight actually "naturally" smaller and therefore it makes sense for them to cut? So with e.g. Chavez, if his dehydrated state is a middleweight, doesn't that mean he's still really a middleweight?
Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #73
Manu Vatuvei
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze View Post
No, Mayweathers grown into his body. He's fighting at his ideal weight. (he could cut to 140)

Being blown up, is guys who don't belong at higher weights.

It'd be like if Pacquaio added 15lbs of muscle and fought at middleweight. He'd be a blown up fighter.
I understand what the terms mean, I'm more questioning the way they are applied by fans.

Ultimately we don't really know how much each guy is capable of cutting, right? We only know what they weigh in at and what they weigh in ring (unofficially). So as far as we know, a 150lb welterweight (e.g. Mayweather or Pacquiao in some fights) is no naturally "bigger" than e.g. a 150lb lightweight.

All we know is one cuts more weight, but that isn't the same as knowing for sure that the welterweight COULDN'T cut more if they desperately wanted to.
Manu Vatuvei is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #74
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: It's Like I'm a Movie Star
Posts: 22,948
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sorry but Matthyse was a disgrace tonight. Which other JR WW comes in @ 164? Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Vatuvei View Post
Out of interest, would you say your friend cuts simply to give himself the best opportunity against smaller guys, or because he only reaches his "natural weight class" by cutting 20lbs?

In other words, are people who naturally carry more water weight actually "naturally" smaller and therefore it makes sense for them to cut? So with e.g. Chavez, if his dehydrated state is a middleweight, doesn't that mean he's still really a middleweight?

My friend cuts because he's not built to compete with 205lbs. He's built to fight at 185.


No they aren't smaller. Some people can just cut the weight. Everyone can cut a tremendous amount of weight, it's a matter of how a persons body holds up during the process. If you do it right you can take off a lot of the weight, if you do it wrong, you can hurt your body.


As for the Chavez comment. Whatever a fighter can cut down to is what they can fight at.

I would much prefer to get rid of weights where people have to "cut".

Maybe a few lbs at most to help set up fights but the cutting process needs to be taken out.
eze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #75
Tyler-Durden
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Karabagh
Posts: 5,601
vCash: 75
Default Re: Double standards among boxing fans, at its finest

Look who the **** is talking. You're one of the biggest POS on ESB Ironsense ...
Tyler-Durden is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013