Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #136
supremo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Not read all the thread but agee with what the OP said.

I think the main problem in boxing is coahes try to be all things.

I used to work at Glasgow Rangers's training ground and seen the vast array of staff they had there trying to achieve peak performance.

You have a manager and assistants dealing with all aspects of footballing technique, the welfare of the players and managing them as people.

But you also have strength and conditioning coaches assessing body fat levels, VO2 max, Heart rate etc and advising the coaches on the required intensity/ medium/ long term planning of training.

They had dieticans advising players on their energy requirments.

They had sports psychologists to prepare players mentally.

Physios to deal with injuries and reovery on a daily basis.

In boxing gyms you have one or two guys trying to run a gym and all the fighters in it. 99% of coaches expertise is in strategy and skills, they arent experts in bio mechanichs, psychology, nutrition and pyshiology etc but they either put themselves up as experts or are expected to have all the asnwers. Boxing is ruled by the ancient mind set that "more = better"
supremo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #137
Jakemilo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: "About 90% of boxers in this country in my opinion, lead unprofessional lifestyle

Bit hard comparing the money in football to boxing most lads get next to nothing money wise 6 rounder 1200 English title fight 2250 and the majority work full time so a lot of trainers rightly or wrongly try to do too much mainly to save boxers money
Jakemilo is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #138
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremo View Post
Not read all the thread but agee with what the OP said.

I think the main problem in boxing is coahes try to be all things.

I used to work at Glasgow Rangers's training ground and seen the vast array of staff they had there trying to achieve peak performance.

You have a manager and assistants dealing with all aspects of footballing technique, the welfare of the players and managing them as people.

But you also have strength and conditioning coaches assessing body fat levels, VO2 max, Heart rate etc and advising the coaches on the required intensity/ medium/ long term planning of training.

They had dieticans advising players on their energy requirments.

They had sports psychologists to prepare players mentally.

Physios to deal with injuries and reovery on a daily basis.

In boxing gyms you have one or two guys trying to run a gym and all the fighters in it. 99% of coaches expertise is in strategy and skills, they arent experts in bio mechanichs, psychology, nutrition and pyshiology etc but they either put themselves up as experts or are expected to have all the asnwers. Boxing is ruled by the ancient mind set that "more = better"
But that's boxing....

The day when you walk into a boxing gym, and you have experts in bio mechanics, psychology, nutrition and physiology walking around wanking off kids..? Its the day the culture of boxing die's.

I have no problem with how gyms are run! Its just the advice and the education level of boxing coaches! The Governing body could put these guys on courses, if sports like Athletics do this on amateur level! so can boxing.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum