Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Thumbs up The Sunday Clinic: A treat! James Toney vs Gerald McClellan Sparring Video

Did this a few years ago under my old username, Was a decent thread but time for a fresh start. The board has gained a fair few quality posters who like nothing more then to sit back and enjoy high level technicians at work.

The thread back then was every sunday, I'd post a fight and people would post thoughts and scorecards if it went to points.

Something to pass the time.

If you'd like a fight to be the choice of topic PM me with the fight and link to it . There's no guarantee's it will be choosen for that week, the more choices for a certain fight the more chances it will be picked.

Today i will start it off with this fight.

Previous Weeks:
Calzaghe vs Kessler

Today we go with something a little different, a treat for all you technicians out there.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Enjoy.

Last edited by SkillspayBills; 02-24-2013 at 10:37 AM.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: The Sunday Clinic: The Comeback

I'll try and have a look later Skills.
Well done with the thread.Should make for some interesting reading.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
1PunchKO95
The Irish Drunk
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 375

Yeah i'll definitely look at this in a bit i can imagine it's going to cause some interesting arguments and debates in the future though.
1PunchKO95 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

But I think this fight holds a few keys to the outcome of the Froch vs. Kessler 2nd fight. Technically, speed wise and boxing skill wise, Calzaghe is so far ahead of Carl Froch, its like chalk and cheese.

Yet, as we can see in the Kessler vs. Calzaghe fight, Kessler was no pushover for Joe, and he is a better boxer than Carl Froch, as we saw in their 1st fight.

Its the reason Kessler won the first fight, and it may well be the reason he wins the second. Carl Froch is a good fighter, let that be known, but he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, let that be known also.

If Froch vs. Calzaghe happened years ago, Joe Calzaghe would have blown Carl Froch away, and if you want the reason for that, just look how badly Carl was exposed by Andre Ward. Now Andre Ward and Joe Calzaghe are totally different fighters, but Ward was able to slip Carl's slug like jab, and land 2-3 crisp punches while Carl was still hanging the arm out there. Joe would have worked that out in round one, and beat Carl to the punch. And the volume of punches and accuracy would have been overwhelming. Carl would have been frustrated and made to miss so much.

(IMO it would have been another Lacy toying around laughing stock over 12 rounds)

Kessler will not be fazed by fighting here, just look at the Calzaghe fight. Although Kessler seems to have dropped of a bit, and Carl improved a bit, I dont think it will be enough for Carl to beat Kessler. Calzaghe was on another level. Whereas Froch clearly isnt.

Anyway, I dont want to derail the thread Skills, or send it of in another direction. I know you are discussing Kessler vs. Calzaghe.

But to summarize, even though it was CALZAGHE vs Kessler. I think that fight shows enough signs to me that Kessler can beat Froch for a second time. I think it will be very close again, maybe only a round in it. But Kessler is just better, and when he throws the jab, he throws it with intent and speed, Carl's jab is decent, but he uses it more as a measuring stick, but it doesnt help, because elite level fighters slip it as if it is second nature, and pummel him when his arm is outstretched. Kessler will beat Froch to the jab. I am certain of it. And that will dictate the fight.

Question for you Skills or anybody else for that matter: How do you think the Froch vs. Kessler fight is gonna pan out? And do you think the Kessler vs. Calzaghe fight holds some of the answers? ( If you want to keep this thread strictly Kessler vs. Calzaghe, then drop me a PM)

Cheers.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Have a go at this one...

BORKED
Trail is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Dinamita85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Only rewatched this again the other night - cracking fight that i feel simultaneously shows Calzaghes greatest strengths and weaknesses.

Scored it something like 8 rounds to 4 to Calzaghe , the fight starting off very cagey but calzaghe doing that little bit more , joe feeling he is well on top by the 3rd round and starting to showboat for the fans, in the 4th round he goes in wild with a 2 fisted attack (which he used to do frequently and im suprised more people didnt catch him coming in more frequently as he was there to be hit) and gets caught by a few huge uppercuts from kessler,from then on the adjustments he makes are superb , he stopped showboating and started to throw quicker pity pat shots and working kesslers body at the same time manoevering kessler around the ring and with his footwork putting him on the back foot,then using his high punch punch output to pull away... kessler from then on despite being a great boxer looked lost and didnt really know what to do.....Great performance

People can say what they want about calzaghe being a stay at home fighter and a bum but fact of the matter is he is thee best supermiddle of all time and his ability to change his game plan and the sheer workrate would make him a nightmare for nearly anyone around his weight throughtout history.

btw skills this is a great idea. i reckon a good one of these to do would be Barrera v Marquez , 1 of the finest technical fights ive ever seen which is sure to divide opinion.
Dinamita85 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

But I think this fight holds a few keys to the outcome of the Froch vs. Kessler 2nd fight. Technically, speed wise and boxing skill wise, Calzaghe is so far ahead of Carl Froch, its like chalk and cheese.

Yet, as we can see in the Kessler vs. Calzaghe fight, Kessler was no pushover for Joe, and he is a better boxer than Carl Froch, as we saw in their 1st fight.

Its the reason Kessler won the first fight, and it may well be the reason he wins the second. Carl Froch is a good fighter, let that be known, but he is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, let that be known also.

If Froch vs. Calzaghe happened years ago, Joe Calzaghe would have blown Carl Froch away....
Cheers.
I agree.

Everything technically suggest that Carl Froch should be a European level fighter at best.

He's a over achiever!!!!

He's tough, and has a decent power.

But in almost every other department he's average.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Craney your cool to ask questions bro . Will try answer that question later on it's a good one. I think Froch beats Kessler this time.

Trail will bear that fight in mind for future weeks .

Dinamita will also bear that fight in mind .
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Skills puts great threads up. Check his The Vault thread, some great stuff on there.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
Skills puts great threads up. Check his The Vault thread, some great stuff on there.
Cheers Bro . I did this thread few years back and thought it be nice to bring it back as forums back running well with plenty of discussion.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Cheers Bro . I did this thread few years back and thought it be nice to bring it back as forums back running well with plenty of discussion.
Put a link to The Vault thread up on here S. Maybe it can run alongside this thread.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
Put a link to The Vault thread up on here S. Maybe it can run alongside this thread.
Good idea mate .
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
I agree.

Everything technically suggest that Carl Froch should be a European level fighter at best.

He's a over achiever!!!!

He's tough, and has a decent power.

But in almost every other department he's average.
The biggest misconception about Carl Froch IMO.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Bump Hope you all enjoy..
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
SuspiciousChees
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: The Sunday Clinic: A treat! James Toney vs Gerald McClellan Sparring Video

I remember reading somewhere that Mclellan put down Toney in sparring with a left hook to the body.
SuspiciousChees is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum