Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
These are the risks fighters take, there will never be a time when taking punches is 100% safe! Never! The risks the fighters take is the reason why people are compelled to watch such a dangerous sport.

Its a Warrior way of life, being forgotten in this ever changing civilised world.
You have done a wonderful job of stating the obvious.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 9,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
You have done a wonderful job of stating the obvious.
So why are you struggling to defend the sport..? against what...?

You have just stated that its..

"Getting harder and harder to defend the sport".
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
So why are you struggling to defend the sport..? against what...?

You have just stated that its..

"Getting harder and harder to defend the sport".
It's a sport where people are actively inviting others to bash their brains about. The purpose of the sport is to land blows on another, ideally knocking him unconscious, for the pleasure of spectators.

It's a pretty ****ed up concept when you get down to it. It's just hard to think of a good reason for it when someone asks.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #19
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 9,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's a sport where people are actively inviting others to bash their brains about. The purpose of the sport is to land blows on another, ideally knocking him unconscious, for the pleasure of spectators.

It's a pretty ****ed up concept when you get down to it. It's just hard to think of a good reason for it when someone asks.
Its human nature to challenge, to be competitive and test ourselves. And fighting is one way of testing oneself "Thats the way i look at it", its still evokes respect and admiration because its in our instincts to be drawn to such competitive raw nature. Its a combat sport it will never be safe, that's part of the thrill and the challenge, whether you are competing, or just a hardcore fan.

All other sports relate to boxing, life relates to boxing, its life played out before our eyes.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
sniffmybadger
trust me I'm a stomach
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hammersmith
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 75
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Really didn't want to watch it, but I felt as boxing fan I should witness it, as its a horrible reminder that it can go wrong and it id a dangerous sport. I'm not one to come on here to belittle any boxers bravery or courage and I sure as well won't be in the future.

It's no compensation for a loss of a young life, but I hope it will make some people on here show a bit more respect for all those who lace up the gloves.
sniffmybadger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Why on Earth was this kid fighting twelve rounders anyway.

For what its worth, I totally get what dftaylor is getting at. You can't defend the sport in light of things like this to be honest.
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
itsmeagain1
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,027
vCash: 500
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

opponent was classless.
Ref sucked
Medics sucked
It was a rabbit punch and the kid held the back of his head repeatedly

all round disgrace
itsmeagain1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
I TuCKeR 93 I
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 1176
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Boxing is a mugs game. An entertaining one though.
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW via Leeds/London
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 1885
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Not sure If I want to watch it but I will later on, as someone said out of respect to the sport. I disagree about it being hard to defend the sport. Of course its a tragedy and no one thinks that a young mans life is worth the enjoyment of a few punters. However, the reason it is shocking is because we see things like this so rarely (thankfully). That is little consolation to the family and friends of the lad in the video but you cannot judge a sport on anomalous events, there are dangers in life more people die from drunken fights on a night out than in boxing rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Its human nature to challenge, to be competitive and test ourselves. And fighting is one way of testing oneself "Thats the way i look at it", its still evokes respect and admiration because its in our instincts to be drawn to such competitive raw nature. Its a combat sport it will never be safe, that's part of the thrill and the challenge, whether you are competing, or just a hardcore fan.

All other sports relate to boxing, life relates to boxing, its life played out before our eyes.
This post really sums up how I feel about boxing. My thoughts with his family and friends I hope they can make peace with such an unnecessary loss of life.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #25
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Nags Head
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 185000
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

RIP, very difficult to watch, tragic.
perspicacity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #26
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Very sad- looked a good fighter too. Which country was this guys?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #27
AndyPaterson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 475
vCash: 625
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Very sad- looked a good fighter too. Which country was this guys?
fight was in Indonesia
AndyPaterson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #28
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPaterson View Post
fight was in Indonesia
Terrible. Their safety record is absolutely awful. Whatever the board are doing here - it's largely working ... In the last 20 years there have being a few serious injuries in UK boxing but this has certainly being the safest spell I can remember.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #29
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Almost everybody on this thread is being a hypocrite.

On plenty occasions people here in the British forums have called countless boxers bums & cowards.
It's a pet hate of mine to see any boxer called a coward PK,and if anybody's being hypocrytical here then hopefully this incident will make them think again.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,600
vCash: 1500
Default Re: stark reminder about boxing

tragic
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013