Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Fuming....

I trained a lad from when he was 11 - he was really good, loved boxing- and whilst he wasn't the most talented kid I've ever had he put the graft in and I was certain he'd have a good few fights.

At the time I was unattached to an amateur gym so I made provision for him to an amateur gym I sometimes trained at myself. When he first went the trainer dismissed him even though I knew he had talent anyway they let him fight and he strung together an amateur record of 11-3 which is a good start by any standards. Further to this he was improving despite only working with me once a week.

His amateur trainer then decided to stop allowing him to train with me because he suggested the style I was trying to get him to box him was too professional. Apparently slipping and rolling and countering falls into too professional. Anyway to save aggro I stopped training him and subsequently he had lost four in a row.

His problem was his defence and when his dad asked his trainer about it he said I can't help him - he doesn't listen. So he's come back to me.

He listens fine- too much it seems.

He came back to train with me tonight after 7-8 months away- I'm so disappointed - he's totally lost his spark and imagination. He's boxing like a clone of some of the older lads at the gym who enjoy moderate success but certainly not to the standard I'd hoped for him when I started training him as an 11 year old.

I also see a dip in his enthusiasm and he's terrified to try anything new in case he does something the coach doesn't approve of...

What do you guys think?

Greys? Scrap? Or any of the other coaches on here had similar problems. Feel like im going to struggle to get him back to where he was... Or where he should be.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Fuming....

Jeff, take Him away from the actual Boxing Theme for a while. Train His Proprioceptive ability, and His coordination and Posture. One Leg Squats on a wobbly board, that sort of thing, That thing on a Roller, Squating going forward, and back on Roller Skates that sort of thing. Make it Fun.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
I trained a lad from when he was 11 - he was really good, loved boxing- and whilst he wasn't the most talented kid I've ever had he put the graft in and I was certain he'd have a good few fights.

At the time I was unattached to an amateur gym so I made provision for him to an amateur gym I sometimes trained at myself. When he first went the trainer dismissed him even though I knew he had talent anyway they let him fight and he strung together an amateur record of 11-3 which is a good start by any standards. Further to this he was improving despite only working with me once a week.

His amateur trainer then decided to stop allowing him to train with me because he suggested the style I was trying to get him to box him was too professional. Apparently slipping and rolling and countering falls into too professional. Anyway to save aggro I stopped training him and subsequently he had lost four in a row.

His problem was his defence and when his dad asked his trainer about it he said I can't help him - he doesn't listen. So he's come back to me.

He listens fine- too much it seems.

He came back to train with me tonight after 7-8 months away- I'm so disappointed - he's totally lost his spark and imagination. He's boxing like a clone of some of the older lads at the gym who enjoy moderate success but certainly not to the standard I'd hoped for him when I started training him as an 11 year old.

I also see a dip in his enthusiasm and he's terrified to try anything new in case he does something the coach doesn't approve of...

What do you guys think?

Greys? Scrap? Or any of the other coaches on here had similar problems. Feel like im going to struggle to get him back to where he was... Or where he should be.
It sounds as though they have made a good decision coming back to you - Clearly, you want the best for this young lad.

It's probably just a case of making things fun and supporting him during the first few weeks till he settles in the gym. Plenty of praise and encouragement and hopefully you can get him back on track.

Good luck.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] /watch?v=8HMIu0VPCBg
scrap is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] this sort of thing.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I did that a bit today had him messing about with different blocking styles and stuff - he's got absolutely no muscle function for the rolling slipping motion if you get me- what have they been doing? These 'experts' really annoy me.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Thank you rich and scrap
Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
scrap is online now  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Plenty of fun and encouragement,i know this has worked for me in the past.
Make things interesting cause it seems he got stuck in monotonous regime.
IYou are a good coach and a person so im sure you will do just fine.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Thank u
Old 01-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dempsey1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 03:03 AM   #12
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

How old is he now?
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Haven't you noticed that in most amateur programs they all think they can copy the Cubans? So whether you are 6 foot 2 or 5 foot 2 they try and teach you the same style. I find it hilarious when they try and explain that everybody should box with a long style.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

If your hitting and not getting hit - how can you be losing? Thats the way I look at it. I've gone really heavy defence of late- people don't teach it or understand it.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
How old is he now?
Only 14 mate