Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #16
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why don't we allow soccer kicks in MMA again?

I am ok with soccer kicks to a downed opponent, as long as it at the higher levels. I'm ok with a lot of things at the higher level. Elbows of all varieties, knees at any time, headbutts, etc...

I am not ok with these being universal rules. I am not ok with someone making $500 for a fight, and risking the type of injury(ies) that can come from this. Headbutts and elbows can lead to nasy cuts, and I think that only the fighters making enough to fight once or twice a year should face these dangers.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #17
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 View Post
i say you shouldnt punch a downed attacker. You kick him, it's easier. At least that was what I was taught in Combat Ju-Jit-Su (not this BJJ lol)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
i dont care much for displays of unbridled violence i care more about seeing combatants overwhelm their opponents with skillfully applied technique. not just punting for the goalposts and hoping one lands
Indeed.

That's a divide in the sport's fanbase for sure. Guys who want to see a sporting contest versus guys who just want to watch two animals curb-stomping each other.

When the ruleset makes half the knockouts look like ****ing serious criminal assaults, the sport is always going to be completely irrelevant in the West. People have enough problems seeing guys get sliced open by elbows, and that's not nearly as uncomfortable as watching a half-conscious guy get soccer kicked in the head and stomped out.

If Western MMA wants to be anything other than an irrelevant sideshow, it can't have stomps and soccer kicks. Because that shit it just too tough to defend as being part of a legitimate sporting contest.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Soccer kicks and stomps for Championship bouts?

Headbutts too?
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #19
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Soccer kicks and stomps for Championship bouts?

Headbutts too?
Don't forget allowance of the dick in your mouth.

Yes, you can tongue the anus if you want.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
i dont care much for displays of unbridled violence i care more about seeing combatants overwhelm their opponents with skillfully applied technique. not just punting for the goalposts and hoping one lands
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #21
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Indeed.

That's a divide in the sport's fanbase for sure. Guys who want to see a sporting contest versus guys who just want to watch two animals curb-stomping each other.

When the ruleset makes half the knockouts look like ****ing serious criminal assaults, the sport is always going to be completely irrelevant in the West. People have enough problems seeing guys get sliced open by elbows, and that's not nearly as uncomfortable as watching a half-conscious guy get soccer kicked in the head and stomped out.

If Western MMA wants to be anything other than an irrelevant sideshow, it can't have stomps and soccer kicks. Because that shit it just too tough to defend as being part of a legitimate sporting contest.

#ing A', but I don't believe that the sport is irrelevant here in the West... Maybe 75% of the bars in town (basically the ones that can afford to) play free UFC and ppv cards, lots of UFC gear being worn in the gym, and a few gyms started in the past 10 years are fairly popular now. Don't know about Down Under, but the sport is very much tolerated in these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Don't forget allowance of the dick in your mouth.

Yes, you can tongue the anus if you want.
Oh, I won't
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
#ing A', but I don't believe that the sport is irrelevant here in the West... Maybe 75% of the bars in town (basically the ones that can afford to) play free UFC and ppv cards, lots of UFC gear being worn in the gym, and a few gyms started in the past 10 years are fairly popular now. Don't know about Down Under, but the sport is very much tolerated in these parts
No, I wasn't trying to say that it's irrelevant now.

But a big part of that has been the unified rules. Take it back to the days of stomps and soccer kicks and there's no Fox deal, no Nike sponsorships for Jon Jones, no PPVs showing in packed bars. It would be back to the days where nobody gives a ****, the sport is not taken seriously, it's not seen as a valid pro option for a serious athlete, and there's no ability to become a mainstream, respected sports star in the West.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

because its for cunts
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #24
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtieDrake View Post
because its for cunts

Quality, absolute quality posting! Thanks for that insightful gem!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 AM   #25
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

lol
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #26
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It would DEFINITELY stop Jon Jones from doing his down on all fours monkey attack!
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #27
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Because people seem to like Gay Guido and his body hair subdue guys than watch actual fighting where people try to finish one another.

Gay Guida didn't fight, he played to win an MMA match, everything he did was predictable.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Because people seem to like Gay Guido and his body hair subdue guys than watch actual fighting where people try to finish one another.

Gay Guida didn't fight, he played to win an MMA match, everything he did was predictable.
It's a sporting contest, not a pure fight.

And nobody likes Guida's last couple of performances. His career has suffered for it as well. Everybody knows that guys who push the action and go for finishes get more opportunities, earn more money through bonuses, and have more leeway when it comes to not getting cut after losses. Because of his "effort" against Maynard, Guida found himself frozen out of the main card and buried on the prelims of a free-to-air card - just one fight removed from an exciting, competitive back-and-forth fight with Bendo.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #29
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:

nobody has earned the right to change his style more than guida
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:

I, and most people that I've listened to, do not like watching Guida fight. He does not have an entertaining style. However, he is just using the skill set he has to work with. Guida has little striking skills, and comes from a wrestling background. His goal is to take you down, and try to beat you up.

I'll give him a little credit for trying to pass his opponent's guard. Some of the wrestlers are content on staying there and trying to punch away. Attempting to pass means he is trying to advance his position, which gives evidence he is trying to win by doing more than just laying on his opponent. The problem is he is in a very competitive division, and he often can't pass his opponents' guards. This leads us to that wonderful stalemate that most of us enjoy watching so much.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum