Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998
Henry by KO 1 7.14%
Holy by KO 4 28.57%
Draw 0 0%
Henry W12 2 14.29%
Holy W12 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Default Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

They were scheduled to fight in mid 1998. Holyfield had stopped Tyson (KO11) in late '96, beat Tyson by 3rd round DQ in '97, and stopped Moorer (8th round KO in late '97. The fight never happened and in late '98 Holyfield beat Bean by decision.

To be honest, I think the layoff between Moorer and Bean hurt him. He never seemed to have the momentum he had during the two Tyson fights and the Moorer rematch again.

Akinwande had clearly beat Axel Schulz, Tony Tucker, and Orlin Norris by decision. He had stopped Jeremy Williams (KO3) and Alexander Zolkin (KO10). He didn't look very good vs. Lewis (he didn't look too bad either) but Lewis really wasn't able to hurt him... he did rock Lewis though. Akinwande got DQd for excessive holding (DQ5).

Anyway, who would have won?
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Baclava
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
They were scheduled to fight in mid 1998. Holyfield had stopped Tyson (KO11) in late '96, beat Tyson by 3rd round DQ in '97, and stopped Moorer (8th round KO in late '97. The fight never happened and in late '98 Holyfield beat Bean by decision.

To be honest, I think the layoff between Moorer and Bean hurt him. He never seemed to have the momentum he had during the two Tyson fights and the Moorer rematch again.

Akinwande had clearly beat Axel Schulz, Tony Tucker, and Orlin Norris by decision. He had stopped Jeremy Williams (KO3) and Alexander Zolkin (KO10). He didn't look very good vs. Lewis (he didn't look too bad either) but Lewis really wasn't able to hurt him... he did rock Lewis though. Akinwande got DQd for excessive holding (DQ5).

Anyway, who would have won?
Hard question. I always liked Akinwande: tall guy, very skillful, great jab, great handspeed. He is the type of guy who could give anyone big problems. I could see him upset Holyfield. Maybe...
Baclava is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

I had a pretty fair amount of $$$ on Henry for the upset. This is the exact type of opponent that Evander seemed to bring his B game into the ring. And realistically, just how many other guys would have bothered to get razor sharp for Henry Akinwande at the time?

But I think he was a difficult guy for Evander to get to and land his combos. Holyfield loses a bunch of rounds with a paltry punch output. And I don't see a Weaver--Tate type ko for Evander to salvage the fight and he drops a decision to a guy he'd lick in the rematch. But it looks like a 1-2 and hold for Henry. And Evander landing his head more than punches.

Ugly fight though and remember another potential ugly Evander title bout cancelled---Damiani. That one would have been horrible to watch as well.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Tough fight for Holyfield but I think he wins a close decision.
Hookie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
lefthandlead
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Roids or no roids?
lefthandlead is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,876
vCash: 765
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Akinwande/Holyfield was not on the table. Henry was massively damaged from the Lewis fight. There was no way he was going to be fighting anyone that mattered at that time.
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
jont
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Laramie, Wyoming
Posts: 256
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Akinwande/Holyfield was not on the table. Henry was massively damaged from the Lewis fight. There was no way he was going to be fighting anyone that mattered at that time.
I think that the fight was actually scheduled and that Henry pulled out due to having Hepatits.... I thought that Henry would show up and do his grab and 1-2 and win the fight about 7-5
jont is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

I quite liked Akinwande. Could never see him beating Holyfield,though.

The Real Deal by 7-5 in rounds thereabouts.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,876
vCash: 765
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by jont View Post
I think that the fight was actually scheduled and that Henry pulled out due to having Hepatits.... I thought that Henry would show up and do his grab and 1-2 and win the fight about 7-5
I stand corrected, if memory serves me right Mercer was also scheduled on the bill and he too failed a Hep test.
TBooze is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Momus
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Akinwande 1998

Coming into the fight, I thought it had upset written all over it.

With Holyfield at heavyweight though, it was always difficult to predict. He rarely had an easy night against any top 10 guys other than Douglas.
Momus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013