Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
mjl78
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default World Rankings voted for by the fans

We all know that the number of sanctioning organisations means that there are a number of different ‘world rankings’ whic are pretty meaningless as each organisations ranks fighters based on looking after their own interests. The ‘Transitional boxing rankings‘ are doing a decent job in trying to establish a meaningful and true world rankings system but it doesn’t seem to be getting that much recognition in wider boxing circles.
Do any of you think that there is therefore a place for divisional world rankings voted for each month by the fans - fans would be able to visit a website and rank their top ten fighters as many divisions as they wanted (as well as pound for pound). If it were promoted correctly (with all of the main websites allowing a link the website/voting polls each month in the same fightscore collector promotes his site through the main websites) and fans voted regularly in sufficient numbers through web polls it might gain the wider recognition that the likes of the Transitional Boxing Rankings haven’t . For one, the boxers themselves as well as their promoters would surely be keen to be able to say that their fighter is ‘ranked number X by boxing fans around the world’. Of course there is always the possibility of ‘tactical voting’ or of it turning into a ‘popularity’ contest but I think that if people voted in biggish numbers then the number of people voting this way would be so outnumbered that their votes would be lost in the bigger scheme of things.
Feel free to shoot me down (as I’m sure you will!) but I think it could be an idea that could work well and would catch on if promoted properly.
mjl78 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
jas
★ Lucas - True Warrior ★
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: World Rankings voted for by the fans

yes.
jas is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
mjl78
Journeyman

Cheers jas . Its something I would like to try but don't think I could committ to through time it would need to run it
mjl78 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
jas
★ Lucas - True Warrior ★
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjl78 View Post
Cheers jas . Its something I would like to try but don't think I could committ to through time it would need to run it
i would only do it for the "hottest" divisions. e.g. welterweight .

for the other divisions, i would only do a top 5. it should take you that much time to compile your own lists but having fans vote for their top 10 in their order is near impossible.
jas is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Rangersfan1982
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If you could make it only one vote per person then yes.
Rangersfan1982 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
mjl78
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan1982 View Post
If you could make it only one vote per person then yes.
Yeah, it would onky be one vote per person, I think the way these polls are set up they will only allow one vote per computer address (sorry dont know the technical terminology!)
mjl78 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum