Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #76
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Shit, really? Live or do you know of some additional video floating around?
Nah just on youtube, against an American and a Uzbek from memory.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #77
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Nah just on youtube, against an American and a Uzbek from memory.
Oh OK, same ones already posted here then. Thompson and Husanov?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #78
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

I'm just not sure where you see 1-dimensionality or ugliness, tbh.

He could fight moving in either direction, and while there was lots of holding in all 3 extant viewable bouts I think overall he didn't initiate a majority of it. Against the bigger man in Husanov he did understandably employ a lot of the hit/clinch/break/reset pattern, but with Mayweather it was 50-50 with them constantly slamming together (and Aragón largely playing counter-puncher, which is rare against Floyd) and Thompson held every time Aragón tagged him flush.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #79
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Oh OK, same ones already posted here then. Thompson and Husanov?
Yeah I just looked them up again and those are the ones, didn't realise they were posted in this thread.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #80
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I'm just not sure where you see 1-dimensionality or ugliness, tbh.

He could fight moving in either direction, and while there was lots of holding in all 3 extant viewable bouts I think overall he didn't initiate a majority of it. Against the bigger man in Husanov he did understandably employ a lot of the hit/clinch/break/reset pattern, but with Mayweather it was 50-50 with them constantly slamming together (and Aragón largely playing counter-puncher, which is rare against Floyd) and Thompson held every time Aragón tagged him flush.
I just see a lack of variety in his punches and no inside game, all of his punches are at the same speed and rhythm which is unusual for a Cuban fighter, plus the clinching as you mention (I see Aragon instigating most of it). Each to their own, I don't see anything exceptional about him based on what I've seen (only a handful of fights). His accomplishments and level of opposition defeated back up your point of view more than mine so I could be missing something...
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #81
Mamerto
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 302
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
I'm just not sure where you see 1-dimensionality or ugliness, tbh.

He could fight moving in either direction, and while there was lots of holding in all 3 extant viewable bouts I think overall he didn't initiate a majority of it. Against the bigger man in Husanov he did understandably employ a lot of the hit/clinch/break/reset pattern, but with Mayweather it was 50-50 with them constantly slamming together (and Aragón largely playing counter-puncher, which is rare against Floyd) and Thompson held every time Aragón tagged him flush.
Andre Berto was another victim to Aragón.
Mamerto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #82
Mamerto
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 302
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Llegó a ganar en diez ocasiones el campeonato cubano, en seis divisiones diferentes (de 51, 57, 60, 63.5, 67 y 69 kilogramos), lo que ningún otro boxeador en Cuba ni en el mundo, ha podido lograr.

He won the Cuban championship ten times in six different divisions (51, 57, 60, 63.5, 67 and 69 kilograms) something no other boxer in Cuba or the world has been able to achieve.

Aragón fue seleccionado para los Juegos Olímpicos de Atlanta, Estados Unidos. No estaba convenientemente preparado, e incluso tenía 10 kilogramos de sobrepeso que tuvo que rebajar en solo dos semanas. Tampoco pudo hacer junto a sus compañeros el entrenamiento habitual en la altura mexicana.

Aragón was chosen to participate in the Atlanta Olympic Games. He wasn't completely ready and he even was 10 kgs above his weight, he had to lose them in 2 weeks. He could not participate in the usual high altitude training along with his teammates in Mexico.


It does make you wonder what would have happened if he had fought Mayweather after proper training.
Mamerto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #83
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamerto View Post
Andre Berto was another victim to Aragón.
Yeah, I mentioned that in the OP.

I would love to see it.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #84
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamerto View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Llegó a ganar en diez ocasiones el campeonato cubano, en seis divisiones diferentes (de 51, 57, 60, 63.5, 67 y 69 kilogramos), lo que ningún otro boxeador en Cuba ni en el mundo, ha podido lograr.

He won the Cuban championship ten times in six different divisions (51, 57, 60, 63.5, 67 and 69 kilograms) something no other boxer in Cuba or the world has been able to achieve.

Aragón fue seleccionado para los Juegos Olímpicos de Atlanta, Estados Unidos. No estaba convenientemente preparado, e incluso tenía 10 kilogramos de sobrepeso que tuvo que rebajar en solo dos semanas. Tampoco pudo hacer junto a sus compañeros el entrenamiento habitual en la altura mexicana.

Aragón was chosen to participate in the Atlanta Olympic Games. He wasn't completely ready and he even was 10 kgs above his weight, he had to lose them in 2 weeks. He could not participate in the usual high altitude training along with his teammates in Mexico.


It does make you wonder what would have happened if he had fought Mayweather after proper training.
Great info, Mam. Thanks.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #85
Mamerto
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 302
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Great info, Mam. Thanks.
Welcome.

Somewhere in here he mentions that to be a good boxer, you have to be a good dancer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mamerto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #86
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamerto View Post
Welcome.

Somewhere in here he mentions that to be a good boxer, you have to be a good dancer.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #87
Mamerto
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 302
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post


Errrr.. more like:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mamerto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #88
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamerto View Post
Errrr.. more like:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #89
angry cuban
Huge Boxing Fan
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: hialeah, miami, FL
Posts: 409
vCash: 650
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragon, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Interesting to note: Aragon took the 1st and 3rd in the view of both the judges and yours truly. So going by rounds instead of total hit-count he bested Mayweather 2:1.

Taking it a step further, if we apply the professional style scoring system it could well be a 30-26 shutout for Aragon! (since Mayweather landed more in the 2nd but did get dropped, making it automatically 10-8 for Aragon)

Clearly this Lorenzo Aragon was one of his generation's most excellent products of the Cuban amateur program. A forgotten stud.

Also impressive is the way he out-muscled Mayweather in the clinches. Mayweather was just a kid, but he was a strapping, athletic, hungry kid.
Yes he was great Cuban amateur..probably top 30..we had many good amateur champions..you are a huge boxing fan so you probably know them...Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon, Lorenzo Aragon, Mario Kindelan, Enrique Carrion, Hector Vinent, Roberto Balado, Jorge Gutierrez, Hector Millian, Ariel Hernandez, Daniel Regalado,Emilio Correa, Maikro Romero, Joel Casamayor, Yan Barthelemy and lately Odlanier Solis, Erislandy Lara, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Robeisis Ramirez and Roniel Iglesias..
angry cuban is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #90
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 124,457
vCash: 41998
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragon, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry cuban View Post
Yes he was great Cuban amateur..probably top 30..we had many good amateur champions..you are a huge boxing fan so you probably know them...Teofilo Stevenson, Felix Savon, Lorenzo Aragon, Mario Kindelan, Enrique Carrion, Hector Vinent, Roberto Balado, Jorge Gutierrez, Hector Millian, Ariel Hernandez, Daniel Regalado,Emilio Correa, Maikro Romero, Joel Casamayor, Yan Barthelemy and lately Odlanier Solis, Erislandy Lara, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Robeisis Ramirez and Roniel Iglesias..
Yes, proud tradition.

I just found it odd that Aragón isn't mentioned very often.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013