Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Josh Barnett: "BJJ is not a Fight, Boxing is"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger3000 View Post
We are cool... Im sorry. I just don't like when people put down MMA. I've been very protective lately over the UFC.. Im starting to understand the sport more!
it wasnt actually a attack on MMA, Barnett was commenting on BJJ...BJJ is good to know and definitly needed in mma (or at least some kind of submission grappling..even if its just knowing enough to avoid submissions and take downs and get back to your feet)..but when you go and do BJJ..it really isnt like a fight...it can be tough, but it just doesnt feel like a fight. For one, you only go to tap...if you are going to use BJJ in a fight..you really have to choke a guy out, or break a bone (clearly if the guy taps in a street fight...and you let go, there is nothing to keep him from trying to hit you back).
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
(PimpThaSystem)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I went to a BJJ school in my area for the first time a couple years ago and heard someone say "are you fighting in the tournament tomorrow?" and refer to tournament matches as "fights". It felt odd to me coming from a wrestling background. I could never imagine calling a wrestling match a fight. But I guess in some perspectives it makes sense.

Like if a fight in the UFC ended with a flying armbar at 10 seconds into the first round and no strikes were thrown, would Josh consider that a "fight"?
(PimpThaSystem) is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Not what he's saying at all is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Trying to get a rise out of the mma forum? You will have to do better. Most people around here won't care that you are saying bjj is not fighting.

Those quotes are taken out of context, and are referring to BJJ style tournaments and submission grappling. Still, I'll bite. BJJ is also not mma. The major architects of BJJ, the Gracie Family, may be the greatest impetus for the creation of mma; but they are not the reasons for the watered down version we have today. That is all due to trying to grab fans with little to no fighting knowledge, and sell the product in new areas. Still, mma is closer to a real fight than any other form of competition.

I know it looks gay, but just watch this video. It is part of a BJJ instructional series on how to deal with the guard in a no holds barred situation.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is an example of what this looks like in an mma bout:

Is BJJ about fighting, or not?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

i kinda agree actually. BJJ is like a supportive skill to amplify the more punishing fighting skills. even watching a person get a quick sub victory is anticlimactic, i don't really feel like the other guy won a "fight". Though he did indeed win.
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Good for Josh.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delroc View Post
i kinda agree actually. BJJ is like a supportive skill to amplify the more punishing fighting skills. even watching a person get a quick sub victory is anticlimactic, i don't really feel like the other guy won a "fight". Though he did indeed win.
Barnett means pure BJJ only. If you sub someone when that person is allowed to strike you then you've been in a fight!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #23
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Not what he's saying at all is it?
Actually, it is. BJJ is not a sport grappling competition, it is a complete martial art. Submission grappling tournaments allow competitors to perform without worrying about being struck. The rules of a fight are altered to allow people to perform the positional and submission aspects of BJJ. He should have said sport bjj, or submission only grappling events, or rolling without striking are not really fighting.

BJJ is about fighting.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #24
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Barnett means pure BJJ only. If you sub someone when that person is allowed to strike you then you've been in a fight!
Funny that you worded it like that, because I was just getting ready to bring up Combat Jiu Jitsu. It looks like an interesting way for grapplers to test their ground skills when punches are involved. Or maybe a step people with grappling only experience can take without jumping all the way into mma.

Would any of you classify this as fighting?

Personally, I don't feel like I was watching a fight; but I'm sure the competitors hearts are pumping a little harder than they do for a sport bjj match.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

The main thing JB is addressing, is the terminology used. As a fighter, he feels BJJ matches should not be called "fights".

I kinda feel the same way as Johnstown was referring. When I fought a MT smoker, I was edgy and nervous. When I competed in a BJJ match, it was fairly casual, like waiting in line to use the treadmill. Not denigrating the sport but its 2 different types of competitions.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

does anyone here actually call grappling contests "fights", i heard it a few weeks back for a no gi ADCC tourny coming up and it made me cringe
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Remove the etiquette of people releasing a submission when someone taps...then is BJJ not a ****ing fight?

Torn knees, broken arms and being choked out are just as brutal as strikes imo...thats why there is a mutual respect that when someone taps its over...y'all forgetting that

There's no 8 count in BJJ is there? It's the same thing isnt it?
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Remove the etiquette of people releasing a submission when someone taps...then is BJJ not a ****ing fight?

Torn knees, broken arms and being choked out are just as brutal as strikes imo...thats why there is a mutual respect that when someone taps its over...y'all forgetting that

That's like saying Olympic fencing is a fight if they used unabated swords.

Sliced off arms...pierced hearts.

Get the **** outta here!
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brixtonbeat View Post
That's like saying Olympic fencing is a fight if they used unabated swords.

Sliced off arms...pierced hearts.

Get the **** outta here!
True..but if you apply the rules which are in place to prevent a guy getting hurt in one skill set as a reason as why it doesnt compare to a real fight, then to be objectionable you should apply it too all...Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA whatever...

You are obviously picking the most extreme example here possible to make a point when you are missing a very simple point Im bringing up. Every combat sport has restrictions. these restrictions are applied to ensure that the promoters can draw the most money with thier best fighters as ofter as possible...

How would Muay Thai guy do against a fully armed member of the local archery club...that is a total strawman my friend
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

This really isn't even a subject of controversy and something worth debating.

If grapplers want to call their contests "fights" then go ahead if it makes them feel good.

however, anyone with any sense whatsoever recognizes the difference. And it wouldn't take more than a second in the squared circle to know the difference.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum