Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Rate Beau Jack Please

I noticed he wasn't in ESB's top 20 lightweight rankings before they were taken down, which is ridiculous IMO

Sammy Angott
Fritz Zivic
Bob Montgomery
HANK ARMSTRONG,
Willie Joyce
Lew Jenkins
Bummy Davis
Tip Larkin and avenged Janiro.

He could only ever NOT BEAT Ike Williams.


That's a ridiculous resume.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 0
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Top 20, easy. Wouldn't look out of place in the lower end of the top 10, though I personally would be inclined to place him just outside (like, 12-13)
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

He was a beast.
Yeah, he'd have to be top 20.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Lightweight is so deep.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 1054
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I noticed he wasn't in ESB's top 20 lightweight rankings before they were taken down, which is ridiculous IMO

Sammy Angott
Fritz Zivic
Bob Montgomery
HANK ARMSTRONG,
Willie Joyce
Lew Jenkins
Bummy Davis
Tip Larkin and avenged Janiro.

He could only ever NOT BEAT Ike Williams.



That's a ridiculous resume.

cant remember a top 20 ranking off the top of my head I can remember rummy,s top ten . top twenty yeah, top ten not for me . h2h a beast I would think as when at the top of his game he would of no doubt been an amazing sight a swarming volume puncher and with great upper strength .off the top of my head though how long was his prime
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,062
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Jack didn't make the 20 of the ESB poll organised by Rummy, but look how deep:

1. 605 Roberto Duran (15)
2. 593 Benny Leonard (14)
3. 348 Joe Gans (2)
4. 243 Pernell Whitaker
5. 230 Henry Armstrong
6. 217 Ike Williams
7. 168 Carlos Ortiz
8. 87 Tony Canzoneri
9. 51 Barney Ross
10. 47 Jack McAulife (1)
11. 38 Alexis Arguello
12. 15 Julio Cesar Chavez
13. 14 Joe Brown
14. 10 [tie] Packey McFarland
14. 10 [tie] Sugar Shane Mosley
16. 9 Ken Buchanan
17. 7 Jack Blackburn
18. 5 Freddie Welsh
19. 4 [tie] Lou Ambers
19. 4 [tie] Bob Montcomery
19. 4 [tie] Sammy Mandell


Bloody nightmarish. McFarland is fourteen.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 1054
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Jack didn't make the 20 of the ESB poll organised by Rummy, but look how deep:

1. 605 Roberto Duran (15)
2. 593 Benny Leonard (14)
3. 348 Joe Gans (2)
4. 243 Pernell Whitaker
5. 230 Henry Armstrong
6. 217 Ike Williams
7. 168 Carlos Ortiz
8. 87 Tony Canzoneri
9. 51 Barney Ross
10. 47 Jack McAulife (1)
11. 38 Alexis Arguello
12. 15 Julio Cesar Chavez
13. 14 Joe Brown
14. 10 [tie] Packey McFarland
14. 10 [tie] Sugar Shane Mosley
16. 9 Ken Buchanan
17. 7 Jack Blackburn
18. 5 Freddie Welsh
19. 4 [tie] Lou Ambers
19. 4 [tie] Bob Montcomery
19. 4 [tie] Sammy Mandell


Bloody nightmarish. McFarland is fourteen.

as I thought this was taken from our top 10 lists . if rummy had asked for a top twenty I am sure he would of made mine and probably a few other list's

lightweight really is a deep division the boxers in danger of slipping out for me as I think I would have jack and another boxer in near the bottom the list are Blackburn, mandell and ambers
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 475
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

6/10 would not bang.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

IMO he is forgotten, I mean, even in here he is not discussed enough, I would put him in a top 15 easily if I have a list...
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Wow, Lou Ambers only made the bottom run of the top 20.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

when i saw this thread, I thought this poem might be appropriate:


Philadelphia, 1946.
Night. My father and I are walking home
along a pavement raked by swirling snowflakes
wherever the wind kicks up. Having just emerged
from under the beamed shadows of the El
we cross to the Arena, heading home
– to mashed potatoes, sisters, downcast eyes,
anger and sullen silence – past the wall
in which a door stands open and I see
in luminous blackness hundreds of black shapes,
heads and shoulders, the sides of faces silvered
in swirls of smoke, the embers of cigars
glowing an instant and then blacking out –
far off in the black depths the source of light,
the canvas square of ring circled by kliegs
and a slim brown man who has a bigger man
pinned on the ropes, digging blood-red gloves
methodically, like a man chopping wood,
into his ribs, the white skin splotching pink.
Could I have seen at that distance the rocking
and ripple of muscle under the bronze skin
or did I just imagine all of this?
It couldn’t have been much more than a second –
my father was a very impatient man –
but there it is, as radiant as just now.
My arm was jerked hard, I was dragged away
wondering desperately who the man was – then
there he was on a poster, fists ****ed, poised,
smiling behind his gloves. I have forgotten
the name of his opponent but not his name.
I loved him, and I wanted what he had –
not the jeweled belt, the title, money, fame –
what could they mean to an eleven-year-old?
No, what I wanted was the pride and power,
prowess and speed and grace, and even more,
fearlessness in the face of bigger men.
And that most beautiful of names – Beau Jack.
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

I've read that poem before, JG. Great stuff

Top 15 for me. Buchanan makes the cut and Jack not making it is pretty outlandish IMO
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,752
vCash: 500
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

How do I do justice to the name Beau Jack ? Other than to repeat that Beau Jack
headlined the first pro main event I saw at St. Nicholas Arena in New York City, and Beau
was the most exciting action packed fighter I ever saw. So exciting was he that I a yoingster, and my buddy traveled by bus to Philadelphia to watch the fading Beau Jack
fight the murderous punching Ike Williams almost decapitate Beau Jack, before the
referee finally stopped the fight with Beau out on his feet with his arms dangling in back of him ensnared in the ropes, and Jack was unabled to fall...I saw Beau whip Henry Armstrong ,ans many other times...One fight I will never forget was in 1947 when Beau Jack broke his kneecap in the ring with Tony Janiro ,and was literally hopping on one leg
determined to continue until the referee stopped the fight...Beau Jack, very powerful
threw every punch in the book,in clusters, in volleys and always on the attack, who sokd out MSG 7 times in ONE year... Too bad that todays fans only see him on film when he was fading, against Ike Williams... When Beau was younger and fresher he was a helluva
lightweight to behold...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,583
vCash: 1054
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
How do I do justice to the name Beau Jack ? Other than to repeat that Beau Jack
headlined the first pro main event I saw at St. Nicholas Arena in New York City, and Beau
was the most exciting action packed fighter I ever saw. So exciting was he that I a yoingster, and my buddy traveled by bus to Philadelphia to watch the fading Beau Jack
fight the murderous punching Ike Williams almost decapitate Beau Jack, before the
referee finally stopped the fight with Beau out on his feet with his arms dangling in back of him ensnared in the ropes, and Jack was unabled to fall...I saw Beau whip Henry Armstrong ,ans many other times...One fight I will never forget was in 1947 when Beau Jack broke his kneecap in the ring with Tony Janiro ,and was literally hopping on one leg
determined to continue until the referee stopped the fight...Beau Jack, very powerful
threw every punch in the book,in clusters, in volleys and always on the attack, who sokd out MSG 7 times in ONE year... Too bad that todays fans only see him on film when he was fading, against Ike Williams... When Beau was younger and fresher he was a helluva
lightweight to behold...

Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Rate Beau Jack Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
How do I do justice to the name Beau Jack ? Other than to repeat that Beau Jack
headlined the first pro main event I saw at St. Nicholas Arena in New York City, and Beau
was the most exciting action packed fighter I ever saw. So exciting was he that I a yoingster, and my buddy traveled by bus to Philadelphia to watch the fading Beau Jack
fight the murderous punching Ike Williams almost decapitate Beau Jack, before the
referee finally stopped the fight with Beau out on his feet with his arms dangling in back of him ensnared in the ropes, and Jack was unabled to fall...I saw Beau whip Henry Armstrong ,ans many other times...One fight I will never forget was in 1947 when Beau Jack broke his kneecap in the ring with Tony Janiro ,and was literally hopping on one leg
determined to continue until the referee stopped the fight...Beau Jack, very powerful
threw every punch in the book,in clusters, in volleys and always on the attack, who sokd out MSG 7 times in ONE year... Too bad that todays fans only see him on film when he was fading, against Ike Williams... When Beau was younger and fresher he was a helluva
lightweight to behold...
Insane memories, b
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013