Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Pound4PoundG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Prime Hatton Vs Current Matthysse

Not sure if this has already been done but they both have very similar styles both came in very heavy for their weight both had good power who was better? who would have won?
Pound4PoundG is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Pound4PoundG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Hatton Vs Current Matthysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus tomato View Post
hatton in his prime would win handily.prime hatton had a cast iron chin was a better boxer brilliant footwork to get in and out and to force the angles,he lost only to the best fighter on the planet and all time great fighters
I agree but whatabout power Hatton did get knocked out in all his losses? could Mathysse have stopped him?
Pound4PoundG is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound4PoundG View Post
I agree but whatabout power Hatton did get knocked out in all his losses? could Mathysse have stopped him?
I think Hattons losses came when he was already on the decline (not that May and Pac wouldnt beat him at his peak peak best, but I dont think Floyd stops the Hatton that fought KT)

I think punishment, looooots of booze and some drugs really took a toll on Hattons form in the ring and his ability to absorb a solid punch, that a young Hatton would be able to take. He might get buzzed by it for sure, but I think theres a difference in how peak hatton and slightly past it hatton could hold a good shot.

I have to think that a young Hatton could beat Matthysse. Hatton did a lot of things well in his young days, and between controlling distance, jumping in and out, grabbing and mauling, I think he would have enough to get the W, but it would be one hell of a fight and if Matthysse continues to improve, and win impressively in a big fight, I might start edging Matthysse here.

But as of now, I dont see how a peak and prime Hatton doesnt win this, despite Lucas's power.
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

I think Hatton would smother and frustrate Mattysee to a UD win, similar to how he did Zoo.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
hatton in his prime would win handily.prime hatton had a cast iron chin was a better boxer brilliant footwork to get in and out and to force the angles,he lost only to the best fighter on the planet and all time great fighters
Hatton in his prime got dropped hard by Eamon Magee and rocked on another ocassion. Vince Phillips and Ben Tackie also seemed to ring his bell when they were past their best. His chin was solid, but nowhere near being cast iron.

Hatton vs. Matthysse would be a very good fight, and I'd probably lean towards the current version of Lucas.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
I1T2BOX
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I1T2BOX is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Quote:
if we're talking prime hatton watch him against kostya tszyu.one of if not the biggest puncher the division has seen hit hatton flush round after round and couldnt budge him i dont think mathysse would either imo
Exactly. If he can smother Zoo and take away his power he could do the same to Lucas, who's not in Zoo's class.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

I feel like Prime Hatton was unstoppable by styles similar to his own. He was relentless and rough. I would pick Hatton by decision in a fairly close fight, with Matthysse bitching about the decision at the end.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru

lucas hasnt faced anyone of prime hatton's caliber but I have the sneaking suspicion that he would catch hatton with many power shots before ever folding to hatton's pressure, and that just might spell a KO ending in lucas' favor.
m8te is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Antwuan Maxx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
watch hatton vs tszyu.who has mathysse fought that is worthy of note ?
Ricky said himself after the Tszyu fight he never truly felt his power because Kostya needs extention on his shots to do damage. The pop on Tszyu's punches come from the snap on the end. But Hatton was smothering him all night, taking off most of the steam on the shots. Though Tszyu did land a few shots here and there; it's not as anytime Kostya lands flush on a opponent they'll automatically show the effects of it, even with him being a murderous puncher.

It's funny, though, because a few weeks before Mayweather-Hatton there was an article where Hatton stated Mayweather couldn't hurt him, since Tszyu was a bigger puncher than Floyd and he couldn't. I thought that was foolish of Hatton to say after the Collazo scare. That fight should have taught him that speed and timing was just as deadly as pure power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
Exactly. If he can smother Zoo and take away his power he could do the same to Lucas, who's not in Zoo's class.
Matthysse doesn't need distance to get power on his punches, though. Just look at that short counter he KO'd Dalls with this weekend. Matthysse also isn't 36 years old or plagued by injury and inactivity, like Tszyu was when he fought Hatton.
Antwuan Maxx is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Brilliant to see mostly common sense prevail in this thread.

Saves me from having to write a long arse reply.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2964

Lucas absolutely murders Hatton. Please stop comparing prime Lucas to a shot to shit Kostya. I would bet my house that Lucas stops Ricky "no defense" Hatton. Hatton is absurdly overrated on here due to nostalgia and nationalism; for someone in his position in the boxing world, his skills were TERRIBLE.

Lucas by KO.
Slyk is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan Maxx View Post
Ricky said himself after the Tszyu fight he never truly felt his power because Kostya needs extention on his shots to do damage. The pop on Tszyu's punches come from the snap on the end. But Hatton was smothering him all night, taking off most of the steam on the shots. Though Tszyu did land a few shots here and there; it's not as anytime Kostya lands flush on a opponent they'll automatically show the effects of it, even with him being a murderous puncher.

It's funny, though, because a few weeks before Mayweather-Hatton there was an article where Hatton stated Mayweather couldn't hurt him, since Tszyu was a bigger puncher than Floyd and he couldn't. I thought that was foolish of Hatton to say after the Collazo scare. That fight should have taught him that speed and timing was just as deadly as pure power.

Matthysse doesn't need distance to get power on his punches, though. Just look at that short counter he KO'd Dalls with this weekend. Matthysse also isn't 36 years old or plagued by injury and inactivity, like Tszyu was when he fought Hatton.
Even that faded version of Zoo is still better and more complete than Mattysee IMO. Dallas has a glass jaw lesser punchers than Lucas have KOed him or hurt him, so that KO is suspect at best. Hatton's ability to close the distance and roughhouse and swarm would have been a nightmare for Lucas to deal with. He would have been frustrated and fatigued both mentally and physically by it. This would have led to him being outworked and losing a decision.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Hatton SD
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

Could go either way in my opinion, but I'd probably favor Matthysse to rise to the occasion and stop Hatton late. Hatton's not above getting beat by somebody with the one-punch power, body work, and chin of Matthysse, especially now that he's starting faster. Hatton was good, but far from being something special. Certainly no great at 140. Lesser fighters hurt him and dropped him. And Tszyu was shot and injured by the time Hatton beat him in that ugly foul-fest of a fight.
JMP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum