Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hearns Vs Hutchins. The best and most Brutal ive seen Hearns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Oh yes. Hearns was at his peak around this time. 154 lbs was his optimum weight.
yeah he was peak and strong at the weight and his power was great. But Hagler called and that took him away from his best weight. Yet, I guess what would have been better-not having the Hagler fight or Tommy fighting 5 or 6 fights at 154 the next 2 years? I think Hagler helped his career more as far as his legacy and the four guys Hearns,Duran,Leonard,Hagler having that link to each other.. The link to all 4 and Benitez helps them all as though all 4 guys accomplishments are one. I am not sure who planned it that way, but it worked well for them all. Maybe the "Four Kings" book did it, yet I heard that stuff mentioned in the 1990s. I hope we have another era someday where 4 great fighters with different styles and personalities fight and have those kinds of fights. Hasn't really happened since in that way.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Just watched it. Tommy let him do all the leading and just sat back and countered with that whipping left hook. It was probably one of the few times Hutchings did not enjoy a height and reach advantage. Hearns was outstanding.
Hearns knew how great Duran was and beating him gave him a confidence that nothing else could. That fight he went for it, unlike the Sutherland or Minchillo fights in 1983 and 1984 where Tommy went 10 and 12 rounds. As a matter of fact, Tommy's 3 fights before Duran were all decisison. Wilfred Benitez 15 rounds, Murray Sutherland 10 rounds and Luigi Minchillo 12 rounds. Yeah there was talk about hand injuries, but he still threw the right, it just was not doing as much damage since he was not as confident and didn't commit as much. Duran started a momentum with Hearns get more knockouts which continued until Doug Dewitt in 1986, but after Hagler, Hearns never looked quite as great as before Hagler. His balance was not the same and his countering was not as effective. He still won but he struggled. I am not sure if that was the confidence issue being beaten by Hagler or being diminished or moving up in weight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Just watched it. Tommy let him do all the leading and just sat back and countered with that whipping left hook. It was probably one of the few times Hutchings did not enjoy a height and reach advantage. Hearns was outstanding.
He really was!..and Tommy was hittin him HARD!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
The Pumper....one of the truly great nicknames

Hutchings had beat Drayton and Geraldo as well, both in sparring partner mode though.Laing came back from a year out doing god knows what after beating Duran, and looked like keeping sharp had been the last thing on his mind.Pathetic, really.

I think he was thrown in with Hearns too early.Never likely to develop into the talent or style needed to beat someone like Tommy, but he might have come back better from the KO with a bit more seasoning.As it was he went right back in against another great puncher...baek...and was finished off.
It might have been a little early for Hutchins, but he was a top contender...the no1 contender if im not mistaken.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Full Fight ( about 12 mins )..In HD!...Great footage!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
quintonjacksonfan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Wasn't the owner of the gas station his manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
True also.

Oh.........the "Pumper" thing. I read an article on him years ago that said that nickname was sort of a double meaning; the jab thing certainly, but it was really chosen because he worked as a gas station attendant in Stockton, California in between fights to make ends meet.
quintonjacksonfan is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
It might have been a little early for Hutchins, but he was a top contender...the no1 contender if im not mistaken.
Not quite that high, but he's up there:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And it's "HUtchings" not "Hutchins"
Surf-Bat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum