Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Anyone on here a vegan/gone vegan?

I'm getting sick of eating meat, looking at it, buying it etc. And I've always had an eye on going vegan... Thoughts on taking the plunge?
Brixton Bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone on here a vegan/gone vegan?

Go for it.

Vegan is abstaining from all animal products. For me that compromises protein requirements, although plenty would disagree and say you can get all your protein from other sources, such as shakes etc, and I'm sure they're right. Not being one for supplements I prefer to stay with 'real' food.

I eat only VERY limited quantities of chicken, tuna, and salmon. The protein makes up 30% of my plate, pasta, rice, or potatoes 20%, and veg the other 50%. I never eat red meat, bacon etc and only eat an egg or two a week at most, and drink maybe a couple of pints of milk, if any at all. I eat no other dairy.

Personally I think if I wanted to I could easily go vegan without compromising my training, as long as I switched to protein shakes. And even that might not be necessary. I'd just have to do a bit more research into other sources of high quality protein. We don't need anywhere near as much protein as we're led to believe by the supplement companies.

Last edited by ant-man; 01-10-2014 at 07:15 AM.
ant-man is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant-man View Post
Go for it.

Vegan is abstaining from all animal products. For me that compromises protein requirements, although plenty would disagree and say you can get all your protein from other sources, such as shakes etc, and I'm sure they're right. Not being one for supplements I prefer to stay with 'real' food.

I eat only VERY limited quantities of chicken, tuna, and salmon. The protein makes up 20% of my plate, pasta, rice, or potatoes another 20%, and veg 50%. I never eat red meat, bacon etc and only eat an egg or two a week at most, and drink maybe a couple of pints of milk, if any at all. I eat no other dairy.

Personally I think if I wanted to I could easily go vegan without compromising my training, as long as I switched to protein shakes. And even that might not be necessary. I'd just have to do a bit more research into other sources of high quality protein. We don't need anywhere near as much protein as we're led to believe by the supplement companies.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I feel that the whole 'You need x-amount of grams of Protein per day' is a bit outdated too.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind just eating Salmon and Chicken/Turkey on a Saturday for Dinner and then doing the Vegan thing solidly for the rest of the week. Saying that, I'm even thinking of the process (the gruesome bits) that the animal that I'm eating has gone through, and it's too much to handle.

What does your daily meal plan look like?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton Bomber View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I feel that the whole 'You need x-amount of grams of Protein per day' is a bit outdated too.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind just eating Salmon and Chicken/Turkey on a Saturday for Dinner and then doing the Vegan thing solidly for the rest of the week. Saying that, I'm even thinking of the process (the gruesome bits) that the animal that I'm eating has gone through, and it's too much to handle.

What does your daily meal plan look like?
I just realised I got the maths wrong and edited it lol.

I don't eat breakfast and like to train fasted for bodyfat control (although it can affect performance obviously). I have tuna, rice 'n veg (mange toutes/sugar snaps/broccoli/green beans) or half a skinless chicken breast 'n veg for lunch, and a salmon + cucumber (or the rest of the chicken breast) sarnie later in the day. I graze on apples, grapes, bananas and raw carrots. I try to eat as little processed as possible, stay away from sauces, sweets, biscuits etc etc, and don't add salt.

Meat's overrated and the industry's cruel. You got me thinking about the vegan trip now lol.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I don't eat breakfast and like to train fasted for bodyfat control (although it can affect performance obviously). I have tuna, rice 'n veg (mange toutes/sugar snaps/broccoli/green beans) or half a skinless chicken breast 'n veg for lunch, and a salmon + cucumber (or the rest of the chicken breast) sarnie later in the day. I graze on apples, grapes, bananas and raw carrots. I try to eat as little processed as possible, stay away from sauces, sweets, biscuits etc etc, and don't add salt.

Meat's overrated and the industry's cruel. You got me thinking about the vegan trip now lol.
Nuts are a very good source of protein and good fats you could add them into your grazing snack stuff.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Nuts are a very good source of protein and good fats you could add them into your grazing snack stuff.
That's true I could. I'm a bit of a calorie watcher though and nuts can quickly push 'em up. I love cashews for example but daren't touch the buggers.

Then again I guess if you were subbing yr meat with nuts for the protein, as long as you didn't go too mad that'd be a good way to go.

Here's a good nutrition link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
good boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I also train fasted Heavy ass weights with low reps work for me. Keeps my strength high and my muscles never feel flat. I cant for the life of me do cardio fastest it kills me so i do the high performance cardio shit in the evenings when im full of beans

Works a treat

I eat a ton of meat, but it is overrated, plently of bad shit in that now days. But i like the taste.

Your diet sounds good, i havent got the time nor patience to bother with grazing. I eat between 12 - 8 and tend to have 2 massive decently healthy meals and il just snack on a bit of fruit. Nuts are great for that. Dont be mistaken in thinking the high fat content of nuts will be detremental to you either.

Its all about what works for you. Peace

Oh and btw my mate is a vegan, he lifts, runs and does gymnastics his body is rocking (no homo)
good boy is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by good boy View Post
I also train fasted Heavy ass weights with low reps work for me. Keeps my strength high and my muscles never feel flat. I cant for the life of me do cardio fastest it kills me so i do the high performance cardio shit in the evenings when im full of beans

Works a treat

I eat a ton of meat, but it is overrated, plently of bad shit in that now days. But i like the taste.

Your diet sounds good, i havent got the time nor patience to bother with grazing. I eat between 12 - 8 and tend to have 2 massive decently healthy meals and il just snack on a bit of fruit. Nuts are great for that. Dont be mistaken in thinking the high fat content of nuts will be detremental to you either.

Its all about what works for you. Peace

Oh and btw my mate is a vegan, he lifts, runs and does gymnastics his body is rocking (no homo)
Exactly.

I try to eat little and often because 1. It staves off the hunger pangs and 2. I feel it puts less strain on liver, kidneys etc.

I love food especially all the rubbish (well who doesn't) but I just think why bother with all the hard work training if you won't man up in the kitchen. It's where the vast majority fail, even supposedly pro boxers.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
good boy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly.

I try to eat little and often because 1. It staves off the hunger pangs and 2. I feel it puts less strain on liver, kidneys etc.

I love food especially all the rubbish (well who doesn't) but I just think why bother with all the hard work training if you won't man up in the kitchen. It's where the vast majority fail, even supposedly pro boxers.
You are probably right, at times im feeling starving so indulge in the naughties. Thats my biggest downfall so i agree that if your training hard but falling short in the kitchen then you are letting yourself down.

Too bad my work place has a strict 'no eating on site' policy... (chemicals etc)

Im glad someone else is into a bit of fasted training too it works wonders
good boy is online now  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
Brixton Bomber
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Ha Ha!

It's the whole 'Absolutely ANYTHING could be pumped into this...' no matter how Organic etc it is that gets me too.

But fair play though - I thought I was going to get tore apart for the topic! Cheers for the replies so far lads!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by good boy View Post
Im glad someone else is into a bit of fasted training too it works wonders
Too right. The body can do far more, on far less, than we're conditioned to believe by the food industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton Bomber View Post
It's the whole 'Absolutely ANYTHING could be pumped into this...' no matter how Organic etc it is that gets me too.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I go pescatarian and limited dairy whenever I can, but would like to try vegan once I've done the research and have enough $$ to buy the crazy shakes and whatnot.

Tim Bradley describes being vegan as feeling like a superhero all day or something, and even when I'm pescatarian I feel like I have some sort of happy, super-capable buzz all day. Definitely worth trying I'd say.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's true I could. I'm a bit of a calorie watcher though and nuts can quickly push 'em up. I love cashews for example but daren't touch the buggers.

Then again I guess if you were subbing yr meat with nuts for the protein, as long as you didn't go too mad that'd be a good way to go.

Here's a good nutrition link: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Cheers for the link.

Snacking on nuts will keep you feeling fuller for longer due to the protein content.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
The Peasant
Crops
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 204

have fun drying out like an autumn leaf

say goodbye to muscles

say goodbye to manhood

The Peasant is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #15
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peasant View Post
have fun drying out like an autumn leaf

say goodbye to muscles

say goodbye to manhood

I don't think so.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And has Tim Bradley said goodbye to muscles?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing