Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fantasy Fight.If you had to choose only one against early Clay/Ali.WHOS IT GONNA

I suppose I've already had a bit o Ali-Marciano what with the computer fight so maybe I go for Ali versus Dempsey
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Fantasy Fight.If you had to choose only one against early Clay/Ali.WHOS IT GONNA

Gimme Holmes.

You'd NEED a great jab to do it. It's mandatory.

Holmes had the best ever, was fairly mobile himself, and usually(In his prime) had terrific stamina. He could possibly win the boxing match at a distance, land heavy when Ali drifted close, and hold on over the distance.

I wouldn't bet on it, mind you, but I think Larry of Shavers II/Cooney is in with a terrific shot.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #18
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Ali vs Holmes id say as well, id like to see Ali vs Dempsey but i think Holmes has the best shot
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

I think the most interesting match up is with Mike Tyson
Floyd Patterson who had seen better days when he fought Ali was able to touch him. Patterson was trained by D'Maatto who also devloped Mike Tyson. Tyaon is also a lot like Joe Fraizer, who beat Ali in 1971, when he was not too far removed from his best. It's not hard to see Tyson beating Ali.

On the other hand tall rangy boxers gave Tyson problems, such as Bone Crusher (Posssibly the best boxing nick name of all time) Smith, and Buster Douglas. Maybe Tyson just had problems with boxers named James. James Tills was the first guy to go the distance with him.

No disprespect to Ali, but Tyson is better than Patterson and Fraizer. In the sense that he's bigger, stronger and faster. Sure Ali can frustrate Tyson, but it's not going to cause the Tyson of 86-89 to give up. Tyson lost to Douglas because he was facing a bigger stronger and skilled oppoent. Ali on his biggest night was 214 Douglas was 231. Even if I'm underating Ali's power. He still dose not have enough fire power to keep Tyson away. Holmes was a crafty boxer who frustrated Tyson, than he got careless. With Tyson it takes one mistake, and Ali isn't known to be humble. Even if focused for 12 or 15 rounds, Tyson is going to be hell.

If I could have a second choice it yould be against a younger Patterson.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
What kind of sicko are you?! It is disgracful to go from a FRAZIER avatar one to day and then to sink to depths of depravity by now brandishing one of the boxer formerly known as Clay! Ths is akin to having a bumper sticker of the Yankees and Red Sox on the same car or EAGLES and cowboys...this is disgraceful, I excpected beter from you. Some things don't mix, like Catsup and Chocolate Ice cream...Remember a house divided against itself cannot stand!
I am a cowboy fan and I cheer for the eagles. Booing them would be like booing a crippled, retarded puppy. I always think, whenever the 'boys are losing (which is often), at least i'm not an eagles fan. Then I would wait for Andy reid to blow a timeout and say, Atta boy, you be iconoclastic!
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I am a cowboy fan and I cheer for the eagles. Booing them would be like booing a crippled, retarded puppy. I always think, whenever the 'boys are losing (which is often), at least i'm not an eagles fan. Then I would wait for Andy reid to blow a timeout and say, Atta boy, you be iconoclastic!

LOL!

i remember a few years back when Switzer was coaching the Cowboys, and ran the ball the ball on 4th and one, only to be given a new chance when the refs blew the call to run the exact same play and again miss the first down....The party lasted all night....Philly talk radio paid tribute to Switzer, by composing a song called So they told us, that Switzer was dumb (To the tune of the little drummer boy!)....The Cowboys rank right beside satan for me in terms of evil (Although you are probably OK).

Somehow my bother like Philly in every thing, but he embraces the cowboys instead of the EAGLES...I blame it upon his parents and his upbringing!

By the way...How do you get a Dallas Cowboy to stand up?

You say will the defendant please rise.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #22
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
LOL!

i remember a few years back when Switzer was coaching the Cowboys, and ran the ball the ball on 4th and one, only to be given a new chance when the refs blew the call to run the exact same play and again miss the first down....The party lasted all night....Philly talk radio paid tribute to Switzer, by composing a song called So they told us, that Switzer was dumb (To the tune of the little drummer boy!)....The Cowboys rank right beside satan for me in terms of evil (Although you are probably OK).

Somehow my bother like Philly in every thing, but he embraces the cowboys instead of the EAGLES...I blame it upon his parents and his upbringing!

By the way...How do you get a Dallas Cowboy to stand up?

You say will the defendant please rise.

I like the joke and am in point of fact evil (and your brothers a cowboy fan...). Switzer was terrible but its not like the man has more Super Bowl rings than all the eagles coaches combined. Oh wait...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Ali vs. Tyson is the best possible matchup
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I like the joke and am in point of fact evil (and your brothers a cowboy fan...). Switzer was terrible but its not like the man has more Super Bowl rings than all the eagles coaches combined. Oh wait...
Hey we won the championship back in 1960.....
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hey we won the championship back in 1960.....
You beat Lombardi. Props.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You beat Lombardi. Props.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #27
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I meant that sincerely but since you brought it up...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #28
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I think the most interesting match up is with Mike Tyson
Floyd Patterson who had seen better days when he fought Ali was able to touch him. Patterson was trained by D'Maatto who also devloped Mike Tyson. Tyaon is also a lot like Joe Fraizer, who beat Ali in 1971, when he was not too far removed from his best. It's not hard to see Tyson beating Ali.

On the other hand tall rangy boxers gave Tyson problems, such as Bone Crusher (Posssibly the best boxing nick name of all time) Smith, and Buster Douglas. Maybe Tyson just had problems with boxers named James. James Tills was the first guy to go the distance with him.

No disprespect to Ali, but Tyson is better than Patterson and Fraizer. In the sense that he's bigger, stronger and faster. Sure Ali can frustrate Tyson, but it's not going to cause the Tyson of 86-89 to give up. Tyson lost to Douglas because he was facing a bigger stronger and skilled oppoent. Ali on his biggest night was 214 Douglas was 231. Even if I'm underating Ali's power. He still dose not have enough fire power to keep Tyson away. Holmes was a crafty boxer who frustrated Tyson, than he got careless. With Tyson it takes one mistake, and Ali isn't known to be humble. Even if focused for 12 or 15 rounds, Tyson is going to be hell.

If I could have a second choice it yould be against a younger Patterson.
Ali wasn't far removed from his best in '71? It seems like we're all super careful not to discredit anything Joe Frazier ever did, who was a great fighter himself, but nobody can honestly look at Ali post-exile and say he was the same animal he had been three years prior. I know what you're saying, Ali was still a remarkably good fighter in '71, but a fight with pre-exile Ali would have been a completely different assignment altogether. There would be no laying on the ropes for rounds on end. More movement, slightly more speed of hand and foot, and we can safely assume his stamina would better than it was too. Ali's combinations seemed to become less varied too. Before he was throwing 5-6's, after exile he was throwing 2-3's.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #29
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

I still think that Joe Frazier would be the one whose style would push a prime Muhammad to the absolute limit. I would throw Marciano into the mix,but Ali's razor like punches would cut Rocky up so badly that the fight would have to be stopped.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Holmes and Lewis.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum