Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744
Default Re: Benn ''I wish I had Calzaghes power'', talking about prime Joe.

This is that post. It's from this thread [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and was posted by Serge

Quote:
How do you recall the (Joe) Calzaghe fight?

''The main thing I remember about Calzaghe was how hard he punched. I thought he had bricks in his gloves at one point. On top of that - he was big, he was strong, he was hearty, he had fast hand speed and he had a very awkward southpaw stance.

He was unbeaten, he didn't know how to lose. I actually lost 20 pounds in a week and was preparing for a righty light-heavyweight. (Laughs) Has there ever been many more difficult tasks?

On top of all that, he puts me down in the opening 15 seconds, for only the second clean knockdown of my life. (Laughs) .''

''I've never been knocked down in the first round before Joe hit me with a powerful left-hand punch, which I never saw, and within half a minute of the bell ringing I was having to pick myself up and deal with the realization that I was in for a long night. That punch really hurt and thereafter it was a tough fight.''

Joe obviously went on to be an exceptionally great world champion.''

Chris Eubank

''I started out [professional] with the Ingles. I used to do a lot of body sparring with the likes of Bomber Graham, Johnny Nelson and Naseem Hamed. Nelson never had any bottle: he used to nick fights running away. But Naz was ****ing brilliant - so elusive and he hit really hard. Even when he were just 15, he told my uncle to get his autograph 'cos he were going to be a superstar.

Nigel Benn used me seven times over in Tenerife, including for the Gerald McClellan fight. I had a big bet, three figures, on McClellan to win in the first round at about 10-1. And he would've if the ref hadn't kept interrupting. Nige and me would spar half-an-hour a day, then both go out on the piss. We always had a headguard and 16 oz gloves and often I'd outjab him. Nigel weren't a liberty-taker.

But the best I've been inside the ring with was Joe Calzaghe in sparring. Beforehand, I thought he were quite boring to watch and looked as if he slapped but, **** me, he punches hard. If he slapped, Bernard Hopkins would've stood toe-to-toe with Joe, but he [Hopkins] got on his bike, didn't he? If Joe and Nigel had fought, I think Joe would have been able to take the pain and would've ended up hurting Nigel, bit like Michael Watson did.''

Tony Booth

''I thought I'd been hit by a lorry''

Karl Barwise

''This kid has everything''

Spencer Alton

''I've never been hit so hard and so often''

Andy Flute

"After working with Robin Reid last month I was already buzzing, but when the call came to work with Joe, well he's the best on the planet," he told Seconds Out.

"I was invited down to work with Joe for five days and I've enjoyed every minute. This has been a fantastic opportunity for me.

"I can see why he's the champ now. Joe punches hard and fast''

Tony Quigley

''Calzaghe can punch very hard''

Nicky Piper

''A lot of people think Joe can't punch but he's actually very heavy handed''

Enzo Maccarinelli

“The hardest puncher I fought (long pause) that’s a real tough one. I dished out a lot more punishment than I ever took. But I’d have to say Joe Calzaghe. Joe was not a one-punch KO kind of guy, but he overwhelmed guys; he had those ridiculous combinations!''

Charles Brewer

Glen Catley, Dean Francis, and Robin Reid said he hit hard to

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MAJR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
Calzaghe certainly hit harder than it appeared. There was a post on this website - I'll see if I can find it in a moment - where a whole host of fighters Calzaghe beat talked about his power and how hard he hit, and most of them said, if I remember correctly, that he hit harder than they expected him to.

Though I doubt he had the raw power of Benn the accumilation of punches could be just as effective.
Thats odd considering he only had two real KO's on his resume.
The Akbar One is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Akbar One View Post
Thats odd considering he only had two real KO's on his resume.
I didn't say he had KO power, I said he hit harder than it appeared he did. Calzaghe was never a KO puncher and I make no claims that he was, but when a guy as durable as Eubank says someone hits hard, then that person hits hard and that's all there is to it.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #34
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKY BALBOA View Post
Not if he was out cold on the floor because he most certainly would have been had he fought Benn in his prime.
Benn was a warrior and a very hard puncher but he didn't have a high boxing IQ. Prime for Prime Benn might manage to knock Calzaghe out in the early rounds but if it last beyond the fourth or fifth rounds then there's only going to be one winner and it's not going to be Benn.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Calzaghe is more than likely shot now..

He wasn't when he retired..
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

I don't get it..

If Joe had so much power, where are all the actual knockouts? where his power actually stopped a fighter from standing on their own two feet?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Slappy Joe the coward from Whales? HAHAHA! He had more premature TKO stoppages than anyone in history!

Calzaghe was very well looked after and his record was padded out with the Tocker Pudwills of this world. LOL!

Lets name at least a few of the requirements a fighter needs to have to land a fight with Calzaghe.

1) collects social security

2) holds down a job in a fast food joint

3) is either a fan of the Contender or has been on the show

4) puts his teeth in first and then his mouthpiece

5) fought in WWII

what else?
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The13thRound View Post
benn is just over polite about calzaghe but who knows maybe he was being a bit tongue in cheek saying i hit eubank with my best shots and nothing but feather fisted calzaghe decks him

benn had murderous power calzaghe just caught an older eubank off balance and landed a nice shot eubank wasn't that dazed tbh

Yeah, after watching it myself, I noticed a slight bit of sarcasm when he said that, I can't tell if he is complimenting Calzahge or poking a joke.. Not to mention, the version of Eubank he was talking about was on another level than the one Calzaghe beat. Benn was a murderous puncher, his power was on another level than Calzaghe's.. That much is crystal clear.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
TheHogan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 425

Calzaghes wishes he was slick and black
TheHogan is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
I don't get it..

If Joe had so much power, where are all the actual knockouts? where his power actually stopped a fighter from standing on their own two feet?
If that's aimed at me then again I have to point out that I didn't say he had KO power, I only said he hit harder than people expected, that he had decent power that made him a legitimate threat.

If Calzaghe had no power at all - which is what his haters say - then guys like Eubank and Kessler would have walked through his punches without a care about him. He had enough power to make his opponents respect him and treat him with some caution but not enough to knock someone's lights out.
MAJR is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #41
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
If that's aimed at me then again I have to point out that I didn't say he had KO power, I only said he hit harder than people expected, that he had decent power that made him a legitimate threat.

If Calzaghe had no power at all - which is what his haters say - then guys like Eubank and Kessler would have walked through his punches without a care about him. He had enough power to make his opponents respect him and treat him with some caution but not enough to knock someone's lights out.
No, it wasn't aimed at you. And I am not saying Calzaghe had no power, that would be ridiculous. I just wouldn't call him a power puncher, sure he obviously had some power when combined with his speed and work rate, I am sure fighters felt flat out overwhelmed.. But he certainly should not be compared to a guy like Nigel Benn when it comes to who had more power, he could put people to sleep with either hand in a single punch.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
EdgarAllenPoop
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Calzaghe had power?? This must be big, this is the first I have heard on this.
EdgarAllenPoop is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #43
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Benn says some dumb things. He is a well spoken guy but he really says some out there things sometimes.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #44
Alo2006
R.I.P Sean Taylor
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

He had to be on something to say this lol
Alo2006 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #45
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

thawk888 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum