Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: if you were a boxer, who would you pattern your style after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmers612 View Post
In my years in the golden gloves I mixed Buchanan, Louis, Pep and Moore together,,,well as decent as I could anyways. I threw in Ali's anchor punch along the way so he was in there also.
With that combination, t, would love to have seen you in action
john garfield is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #32
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
With that combination, t, would love to have seen you in action
Thanks. I'm 57 now and still working on the nuances of each of their styles, and still far from what they could do. Pep is the hardest, one has to be born a gymnastic to do what he could!
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Thanks. I'm 57 now and still working on the nuances of each of their styles, and still far from what they could do. Pep is the hardest, one has to be born a gymnastic to do what he could!
Trained 'n pub crawled with Willie 'n Rocky Graziano. Willie could do those amazing things when he was half in the bag sparring at Stillman's Gym.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #34
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I'd want to be my idol Marco Antonio Barrera, throwing short, company combinations. ...But...I'd probably end up looking like Nick Diaz in his sparring video with Omar Henry.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #35
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Trained 'n pub crawled with Willie 'n Rocky Graziano. Willie could do those amazing things when he was half in the bag sparring at Stillman's Gym.
Interesting stuff on Willy! I worked for years on some of his moves, and it drove me nuts not to be able to duplicate them the way he did. I can see why Burt says along with Robinson he was the best he ever saw.
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #36
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
In my years in the golden gloves I mixed Buchanan, Louis, Pep and Moore together,,,well as decent as I could anyways. I threw in Ali's anchor punch along the way so he was in there also.
How in the hell did you throw all of those together?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #37
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I borrowed some punches and tricks here or there...But my style was remarkably simple: Damage, damage, damage.

I was bigger, stronger, heavier handed, and more explosive than 99% of all the men I have ever fought. I went out to move my hands and end the fight. Had a decent defense when I used it, but most times, I just couldn't be bothered. Bomb with both hands, collect the paycheck, go home.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #38
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
I borrowed some punches and tricks here or there...But my style was remarkably simple: Damage, damage, damage.

I was bigger, stronger, heavier handed, and more explosive than 99% of all the men I have ever fought. I went out to move my hands and end the fight. Had a decent defense when I used it, but most times, I just couldn't be bothered. Bomb with both hands, collect the paycheck, go home.
I know you want to be anonymous seeing how you were/are a pro (understandable wanting to be unknown), but whose style were you most like?

By the sounds of it you were/are a bit like 1970s George Foreman or Aaron Pryor. Decent defencse when concentrating on it, but overall more concerned with hitting.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #39
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Jersey Joe Walcott or J Dempsey cant decide and kinda hard to meet in the middle with those two
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #40
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
I know you want to be anonymous seeing how you were/are a pro (understandable wanting to be unknown), but whose style were you most like?

By the sounds of it you were/are a bit like 1970s George Foreman or Aaron Pryor. Decent defencse when concentrating on it, but overall more concerned with hitting.
Most like? Probably a bigger, clumsier Young Foreman. I throw great lefts up and down, really my best asset. Allows my right hand to become a factor, if the fight lasts that long. George could bomb with both hands, all punches, but I'm very much a power jab/hook till I can throw the big right cross kind of guy. A commentator once called me a sort of "heavyweight Roy Jones", which is hilarious, because my feet are cement, but the way I like to throw lots of left hands and really load of the right is similar, I guess.

Pryor worked constantly. I wish I could say the same. Too often, I abandon my jab and get caught looking. My head stays stationary WAY too often, because I like to watch for my own openings rather than think like about the incoming, and my feet stay stationary because I want them planted, and I don't move them that well to begin with. Get around me or move me back, I don't have a ton of offer outside my pet counters.

Start going backwards and let me open up, though, and you are going to sleep, and early. Not many have survived me at all, much less more than two or three rounds, but when they do, it's because they get off line or get me off my base.

My defense is really my shoulders and my range. I have a huge reach; Keeping a guy at the end of my offense, I can usually roll and bob and lean and avoid most of what comes back at me. I also turn a guy pretty well, when I think too, which is almost never. Lower class fighters barely hit me at all, mid class fighters hit me a bit more than I'd like, world class hit me more than is really healthy.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #41
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i tried unsuccessfully to box like ken buchanan
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Jersey Joe Walcott or J Dempsey cant decide and kinda hard to meet in the middle with those two
Yeah, they're almost imcompatible...great choices though. Of the two, i would try to emulate Walcott.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #43
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would have devoted myself to learning as much about the technical side of boxing as much as possible using Tommy Loughran and Harold Johnson as role models.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #44
Nagabilly
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

If I could choose I'd be like Duran, Chavez or Barrera. Great technique, smart, skilled yet always coming forward and exciting. Also they all have roughly the same size, weight, height and reach as I do.

Realistically, during my few experiences of sparring I was Winky Wright with Parkinsons.
Nagabilly is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #45
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Arguello, Ricardo Lopez or McCallum for me. Guys that were superb at boxing from range, but also could mix it up if need be. I'm 6'0 and would be in the 140-148 lbs range if I was competing (right now I'm 75 kg).
Bokaj is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum