Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Dynamito_2012
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Why do us British hype up our fighters so much, only to be let down?

Well, we aren't always let down, but we have been many times before. I see people on here hyping up the Brook/Alexander fight and it's just cringey. Why do we rarely see this with other country's fighters? The Americans are always bias about their fighters, but they never seem to hype many of them up.

Thoughts?
Dynamito_2012 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Lazarus
Realist
East Side VIP

vCash: 238
Default Re: Why do us British hype up our fighters so much, only to be let down?

Why are you saying it as if it's a bad thing?

We pay a lot more attention to a fighters development during the younger stages of their career. Over there, they don't get public exposure till they hit a network which is usually when they're about to fight for some significance or be tied to a good promoter.

As they're naturally a much higher population, they have a helluva lot more boxers that come out of different states. Over here, the different areas of the country are almost a community in comparison to over there, so people hear and get to know about the boxers a lot more, for example, Manchester being for Hatton, Sheffield being for Brook and so on. Over there, they just have hundreds coming out of each state and it goes back to the exposure thing. None of them are watched in the early parts of their careers because they have no exposure whereas we have broadcasting channels that show boxers from the get-go.

Comes down to the popularity of what they like as well. The mainstream channels over there show Soccer and Basketball, so it's no surprise when you hear about how big them sports are in comparison. There's many more reasons why but that's the gist of it, in my opinion.
Lazarus is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Default Re: Why do us British hype up our fighters so much, only to be let down?

I think because we don't have a whole host of fighters operating at world level. There's some patriotism as well. Lets face it the England football side has been pony for years but we pretend most players are world class when in reality there's only 2-4 who are genuinely world class.

Obviously this is a bigger scale as it's Britain but i think as a Island we like to back our fighters/sportsman. When they lose there scumbags .

I don't think the hype's that bad though TBH. I think it's more level headed then it has been. Some people do genuinely feel fighters are world class. And i think Haye, Froch, Khan, Brook,Burns, Bellew, Cleverly are world class. Some obviously better then others then you got guys like Macklin, Barker, Murray who have shown there world class operators as well. I don't personally feel the hype is bad and think the Yanks are worse they are desperate for a star to follow Mayweather.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamito_2012 View Post
Well, we aren't always let down, but we have been many times before. I see people on here hyping up the Brook/Alexander fight and it's just cringey. Why do we rarely see this with other country's fighters? The Americans are always bias about their fighters, but they never seem to hype many of them up.

Thoughts?
looks like you got it all the the wrong way around, Americans forever over hype, British fans are far more critical of their boxers
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Real simple really, the fighters think they are better than they really are, which leads to deluded blind fanboys jumping on the bandwagon thinking they really are better than they really are. It stems from the fighters ultimately. The attitude of British fighters seems to be one of "I'm the best......because I am and I say so" rather than "I'm the best because I'm holding this this this and this, and I've beaten him, him, him and him, here, here and here and here, all over the world on foreign ground, against world class ELITE level fighters"

The fact is "our" fighters dont fight at that level all the time like they used to, and when they do, they tend to get utterly exposed, left wanting, short, and found out.

It must be something in the water!

But also, a question stems from this debate. For instance, I dont have "favorite" fighters as such, I support the sport of boxing, not a particular fighter. When I pick fights, I dont lean to either because of affection or support, I pick fights straight down the middle and how I see it going. So in turn, on here, I get jumped on for "always being on British fighters backs, and I never give them any credit" which is simply not true, far from it even, I give plenty of British fighters credit when its due. I just pick who I think is going to win a fight. If that means I pick a foreigner for any reason, that doesnt mean I'm not giving UK fighters any salt for that.

Only 1 can win. And if I dont think "our" fighter is going to win, then I shall say so and why.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Real simple really, the fighters think they are better than they really are, which leads to deluded blind fanboys jumping on the bandwagon thinking they really are better than they really are. It stems from the fighters ultimately. The attitude of British fighters seems to be one of "I'm the best......because I am and I say so" rather than "I'm the best because I'm holding this this this and this, and I've beaten him, him, him and him, here, here and here and here, all over the world on foreign ground, against world class ELITE level fighters"

The fact is "our" fighters dont fight at that level all the time like they used to, and when they do, they tend to get utterly exposed, left wanting, short, and found out.

It must be something in the water!

But also, a question stems from this debate. For instance, I dont have "favorite" fighters as such, I support the sport of boxing, not a particular fighter. When I pick fights, I dont lean to either because of affection or support, I pick fights straight down the middle and how I see it going. So in turn, on here, I get jumped on for "always being on British fighters backs, and I never give them any credit" which is simply not true, far from it even, I give plenty of British fighters credit when its due. I just pick who I think is going to win a fight. If that means I pick a foreigner for any reason, that doesnt mean I'm not giving UK fighters any salt for that.

Only 1 can win. And if I dont think "our" fighter is going to win, then I shall say so and why.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Every country is guilty of it. It's certainly not exclusive to the Brits.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would say we under hype our fighters to be honest. Especially on this forum.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
McGuinty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboyes***uk View Post
looks like you got it all the the wrong way around, americans forever over hype, british fans are far more critical of their boxers

ha!
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
ha!
The Irish are terrible for it. They even 'claim' British fighters!
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Can you explain what 'letting us down' means?

Last I checked fighters didn't have a duty to perform to a certain level for our benefit. We ask that they give 100% which the majority of the time they do, and it may or may not be enough.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

With the exception of lacking the mainstream appeal of past years, pro boxing in this Country has never had it so good.

When I was growing up, I do not remember having Olympic Gold medalists turning pro, we were just excited when Richie Woodhall turned pro after sneaking a bronze (two years later).

I do not remember having possibly a dozen world class fighters. We were just grateful that Charlie Magri sneaked a portion of the Flyweight crown for a few months.

I do not remember having arguably three Heavyweights capable of competing at world class. I just remember looking on in awe at Greg Page flattening Funso Banjo, or hearing about Hughroy Currie lasting eight rounds with Adilson Rodrigues.

Personnel wise, British boxing is in a superb place. And with a world class amateur system to back it up, the sport is in pretty good health. If anyone says otherwise, they are either 140 years old, deluded or out and out lying...

Last edited by TBooze; 02-03-2013 at 04:16 AM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #14
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

ken buchanan who is arguably britains greatest ever fighter was always more appreciated more in the states.
they probably know more about boxing over there.
our over hyping of limited frank bruno is evidence of this
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
pikecubic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yanks are worse for hyping certain fighters. It's the job of the promoter to hype the fighter in order top get the casual fans who don't know better, on the bandwagon. If im honest it does wind me up when I hear casuals talking about certain brit fighters like there the best thing ever because they've been told so by sky/boxnation. But what winds me up even more are the miserable know it all cunts, including some on here, who sit behind there desks wanting brit fighters, many of which are nice hard working kids, to get beat, just so they can turn round and say 'I told you he was a hype job bla bla bla'.
pikecubic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum