Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #16
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why do us British hype up our fighters so much, only to be let down?

The Hype comes from the media, and it's not exclusive to boxing. It's undeniable that it happens. Skills has already mentioned the football, and he's spot on, but I remember when the England cricket team achieved the number one ranking. Cricket writers started asking the question of whether that England side could become as good as, if not better than Australia under Steve Waugh, or the West indies in the 80's. Of course they lost the number 1 ranking soon after.

Boxing is the same. Promoters will talk up their fighters in their weekly columns, and Sky/boxnation are the same. They all talk shit. Look at how much flack Bunce gets these days, even from people that used to like him. The hardcore fans aren't stupid, and people on this forum rarely over hype British fighters, but it's the joke boxing media that does it. Certain victories are also overblown. When Carl Froch beat Lucian Bute Sky sports went mental. They devoted an entire show to that fight, and made it sound like Froch had just beaten a prime Hopkins. It was a very good win, and Froch deserves credit for getting in with Bute straight after a loss, but c'mon now. It's the way they hype things as well. Posh boy Adam Smith with lines such as "one of the great nights in British boxing" is what makes it "cringey".

With the boxing fans, it's just patriotism and the underdog mentality. The thinking is "look at these yanks, all arrogant. They look down on us and don't respect us" TBH I think they just know how to get under our skin and are good at trolling. Brits bite every single time. Yanks don't give a **** about looking silly if they can't back up their words. They'll trash talk, and if they lose, oh well. It's just a bit of fun. See James Toney talking trash to Eubank and Benn for what I mean, and watch the reaction of the two brit fighters. The fans react the same way and become all "Go on mate! Shut those arrogant yanks up and bring home the belt for us!"

As for the fighters "letting us down", we're never gonna have as many elite level fighters as the yanks since we're a much smaller country and boxing is a niche sport. I think we do well. Certain Champions will fall short because they've been facing nothing but Latvian teachers and teak tough Ghanaians and then they suddenly get a shot at the elite. These guys are the ones that were over hyped by the media, just because they owned a belt, but they were just paper champs to begin with.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why do us British hype up our fighters so much, only to be let down?

Think about it...

"Britain is probably the second most successful boxing nation on the planet behind America"

That's why!
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
smjm089
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 108

Every country hypes up there fighters and as for Americans not hyping up there fighters come on look at Jeff Lacy and now Adrien Broner just as an example and theres plenty of others aswell.
smjm089 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Real simple really, the fighters think they are better than they really are, which leads to deluded blind fanboys jumping on the bandwagon thinking they really are better than they really are. It stems from the fighters ultimately. The attitude of British fighters seems to be one of "I'm the best......because I am and I say so" rather than "I'm the best because I'm holding this this this and this, and I've beaten him, him, him and him, here, here and here and here, all over the world on foreign ground, against world class ELITE level fighters"

The fact is "our" fighters dont fight at that level all the time like they used to, and when they do, they tend to get utterly exposed, left wanting, short, and found out.

It must be something in the water!

But also, a question stems from this debate. For instance, I dont have "favorite" fighters as such, I support the sport of boxing, not a particular fighter. When I pick fights, I dont lean to either because of affection or support, I pick fights straight down the middle and how I see it going. So in turn, on here, I get jumped on for "always being on British fighters backs, and I never give them any credit" which is simply not true, far from it even, I give plenty of British fighters credit when its due. I just pick who I think is going to win a fight. If that means I pick a foreigner for any reason, that doesnt mean I'm not giving UK fighters any salt for that.

Only 1 can win. And if I dont think "our" fighter is going to win, then I shall say so and why.
Bore off, you **** munching twat
icemax is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Think about it...

"Britain is probably the second most successful boxing nation on the planet behind America"

That's why!
But that's just not true. There's this nation south of the U.S that has more world champions than both Britain and the U.S.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Evil Rick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
But that's just not true. There's this nation south of the U.S that has more world champions than both Britain and the U.S.
That's not true either, the US had over four hundred, the Mexicans (of which I'm suspecting you're referring to) has only had a 100 or so.
Evil Rick is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum