Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


View Poll Results: The greater fighter...
Jose Aldo 15 51.72%
Jon Jones 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I ask again. Who besides Edgar on Aldo's resume is better than anybody that Jones has beaten? Faber? Mike Brown? Florian, who looked like he trained for the fight in a concentration camp? Manny Gamburyan?

I'll also point out again that Aldo looked like he was a weight class larger than the guy from the higher division.
I hadn't even commented on who should be considered better, but I'll take the other side just for fun.

Who, on Jones' resume, is a fighter in his prime? Hell, how many fighters are under 30? I'm asking this without knowing. I'm going to look it up before my next post in this thread.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I hadn't even commented on who should be considered better, but I'll take the other side just for fun.

Who, on Jones' resume, is a fighter in his prime? Hell, how many fighters are under 30? I'm asking this without knowing. I'm going to look it up before my next post in this thread.


Oh **** off with this silly shit. Edgar is 31 and has taken several beatings in row over the past two years. Is he past prime? How old was Florian when he fought Aldo? How old was Brown? What about Faber? Those are all of Aldo's best wins. You might want to rethink this horseshit argument.

If you want to pick apart Jones opposition, I can do it even worse to Aldo's. The fact is that he's cutting a massive amount of weight to fight in a garbage division and is content to keep on doing so even after his victory over Edgar.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I hadn't even commented on who should be considered better, but I'll take the other side just for fun.

Who, on Jones' resume, is a fighter in his prime? Hell, how many fighters are under 30? I'm asking this without knowing. I'm going to look it up before my next post in this thread.

Shotgun had destroyed Machida coming into the Jones fight. Most picked Shotgun for the victory. He wasnt at all shot at that point. NO ONE expected him to get utterly wrecked like that

Machida was close to prime, and a great fighter. He was disposed of like a used nappi

No one subs Rampage..... Jones did


What does under 30 have to do with it?

How old is that middleweight champeen again?


And you were commenting on who was better. You thought Aldo was better. But now you're backtracking. So i believe i'm owed an apology.....

Beouche is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 692
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Jones is above him.

Just to add, Aldo won 4 rounds last night.

Frankie didn't do shit outside of a round for the most part.
afterglow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
And you were commenting on who was better. You thought Aldo was better. But now you're backtracking. So i believe i'm owed an apology.....

No, I'm not backtracking. My initial post in this thread was in response to you saying that Edgar had "handed his(Aldo's) ass to him." I saw nothing like this happen last night.

I then pointed out that Jones has never been in this type of match-up.

You owe me $5000 for being awesome.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
No, I'm not backtracking. My initial post in this thread was in response to you saying that Edgar had "handed his(Aldo's) ass to him." I saw nothing like this happen last night.

I then pointed out that Jones has never been in this type of match-up.

You owe me $5000 for being awesome.

Come on champ, i cant help being awesome
Beouche is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #22
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Oh **** off with this silly shit. Edgar is 31 and has taken several beatings in row over the past two years. Is he past prime? How old was Florian when he fought Aldo? How old was Brown? What about Faber? Those are all of Aldo's best wins. You might want to rethink this horseshit argument.

If you want to pick apart Jones opposition, I can do it even worse to Aldo's. The fact is that he's cutting a massive amount of weight to fight in a garbage division and is content to keep on doing so even after his victory over Edgar.
Fighters are cutting massive weights to fight in every division. A lot of the top lightweights are cutting from 170 and 180. If they could make 145, they would. What is your point?

Next, are you ****ing stupid? I just mentioned that Edgar was in his prime in an earlier post in this thread.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #23
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
Come on champ, i cant help being awesome


Nice, I like what you did there.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #24
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Fighters are cutting massive weights to fight in every division. A lot of the top lightweights are cutting from 170 and 180. If they could make 145, they would. What is your point?
My point is that Aldo is cutting more weight than most fighters and is the size of an average LW, yet he insists on fighting at 145 in spite of the fact that he's reportedly been struggling with the weight since he came to the UFC.

Quote:
Next, are you ****ing stupid? I just mentioned that Edgar was in his prime in an earlier post in this thread.
You're the one insinuating that any fighter over 30 doesn't count as a legit win while trying to talk up a guy who's best victories all came against guys in their 30s.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 434
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Oh **** off with this silly shit. Edgar is 31 and has taken several beatings in row over the past two years. Is he past prime? How old was Florian when he fought Aldo? How old was Brown? What about Faber? Those are all of Aldo's best wins. You might want to rethink this horseshit argument.

If you want to pick apart Jones opposition, I can do it even worse to Aldo's. The fact is that he's cutting a massive amount of weight to fight in a garbage division and is content to keep on doing so even after his victory over Edgar.
He just won against a fighter who arguably should still be the LW champion and you are complaining that he is cutting weight to duck fighting the stellar opposition of the stacked division above? Also the fact that we are comparing him to Jones, hardly the smallest LHW out there, makes your point all the more baffling.
benebox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: InYourMouth, NC
Posts: 6,552
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
My point is that Aldo is cutting more weight than most fighters and is the size of an average LW, yet he insists on fighting at 145 in spite of the fact that he's reportedly been struggling with the weight since he came to the UFC.

You're the one insinuating that any fighter over 30 doesn't count as a legit win while trying to talk up a guy who's best victories all came against guys in their 30s.
Please attach your proof showing that Aldo is cutting more weight than most, and show he is the size of the average lightweight.

Then show me where I insinuated that any fighter over 30 doesn't count as a legit win while trying to talk up anyone.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,337
vCash: 816
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Who the **** has Aldo fought besides Edgar? Look, Edgar is a legit P4P fighter and that was a great victory for Aldo, but who else has he beaten than puts Jones' resume to shame? Fact is that Aldo is an oversized 145er (who looked ****ing huge compared to the former LW Edgar last night) wasting his time in a shallow division full of B-level fighters. Last night is more proof that he should move up to LW.


So Jones loses face for getting caught in a sub for ten seconds but Aldo doesn't for getting mounted for an entire round by a mediocre kickboxer?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
People were picking Brown and Mendes against Aldo. Many picked Edgar as well.

Aldo via fighting better opponents > Jones fighting old names
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebox View Post
He just won against a fighter who arguably should still be the LW champion and you are complaining that he is cutting weight to duck fighting the stellar opposition of the stacked division above? Also the fact that we are comparing him to Jones, hardly the smallest LHW out there, makes your point all the more baffling.

FW is an inferior division to LW that's largely populated with B-level fighters and guys who couldn't hack it at 155. My point is that given the way he handled Edgar and his documented history of weight struggles, he should move up.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Please attach your proof showing that Aldo is cutting more weight than most, and show he is the size of the average lightweight.

Then show me where I insinuated that any fighter over 30 doesn't count as a legit win while trying to talk up anyone.
If you're going to post silly shit then play dumb about it, I'm not going to bother with you.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
People were picking Brown and Mendes against Aldo. Many picked Edgar as well.

Aldo via fighting better opponents > Jones fighting old names

Brown was a slight favorite over Aldo, but he's also older than everybody that Jones has faced on his championship run and he went on a losing streak against C-level opposition after the Aldo fight. That's what you call a better opponent than the "old names" that Jones fought?

Re Mendes, Aldo was a heavy favorite over him, and LOL @ Mendes being on a different level than Jones' opposition.

Last edited by Thom; 02-03-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013