Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: The greater fighter...
Jose Aldo 15 51.72%
Jon Jones 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Jose Aldo's body of work cannot be ignored.... A fifteen fight win streak since his only loss and two different titles are enough for me. Both men have defended UFC Gold four times, and although JJ appears to be more dominant, know that it's only because he is finishing these opponents. JJ may very well be a Greater fighter when it's all said and done, but to say so right now is ignorant or just a very, very bold statement. Take your pick, but mine is with Jose Aldo.

If the two men continue to win Jose Aldo will just be that much further ahead p4pl. Again, this is from my view.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #32
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Jose Aldo's body of work cannot be ignored.... A fifteen fight win streak since his only loss and two different titles are enough for me. Both men have defended UFC Gold four times, and although JJ appears to be more dominant, know that it's only because he is finishing these opponents. JJ may very well be a Greater fighter when it's all said and done, but to say so right now is ignorant or just a very, very bold statement. Take your pick, but mine is with Jose Aldo.

If the two men continue to win Jose Aldo will just be that much further ahead p4pl. Again, this is from my view.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #33
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Until Aldo can fix his cardio problems I go with Jones. Aldo owned Edgar for the first two and a half rounds. Then he gassed. Aldo's seemingly bad cardio holds his greatness back. If he had good cardio, he would have handled Edgar the whole fight easily. Once he tires, his fights become more competitive. They wouldn't be if he had a full five round gas tank.
The Akbar One is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #34
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Let him do so for as long as Jose Aldo has, and post all the smileys you want. Like I said, Aldo's body of work cannot be ignored.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Let him do so for as long as Jose Aldo has, and post all the smileys you want. Like I said, Aldo's body of work cannot be ignored.
If you post shit like "he only looks more dominant because he finishes more," I'm going to post smileys in response.

If Jones were facing guys at the level of Aldo's opposition with the exception of Edgar, he'd be finishing them all in the first round.
Thom is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #36
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
If you post like "he only looks more dominant because he finishes more," I'm post smileys in response.

If Jones were facing guys at the level of Aldo's opposition with the exception of Edgar, he'd be finishing them all in the first round.
Fighters like Shogun and Rampage are nothing special in this era, and it's ignorant to picture JJ against this group of FW Contenders....

With that reach advantage, just the wrong idea my man.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #37
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

I'm not saying the FWs on Jose Aldo's resume are anymore special, but he's got two handfuls of victims whereas JJ has one.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #38
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

This is a good question. Aldo, Jones, and Edgar had been fighting for that number 3 spot (behind Silva and St. Pierre) for a whole now. Last night's fight obviously takes Edgar out of the discussion (for now).

So now Aldo and Jones must fight. I say 185lb catch weight...
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #39
benebox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
FW is an inferior division to LW that's largely populated with B-level fighters and guys who couldn't hack it at 155. My point is that given the way he handled Edgar and his documented history of weight struggles, he should move up.
Aldo, Edgar, Poirier, Mendes, Koch, Zombie, Guida, Swanson, Hioki and Pettis if he chooses to move down is hardly a division full of bums. Why rush moving up when there are plenty of challanges left in his division?
benebox is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #40
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Akbar One View Post
Until Aldo can fix his cardio problems I go with Jones. Aldo owned Edgar for the first two and a half rounds. Then he gassed. Aldo's seemingly bad cardio holds his greatness back. If he had good cardio, he would have handled Edgar the whole fight easily. Once he tires, his fights become more competitive. They wouldn't be if he had a full five round gas tank.
Fair enough, but I thought Jose Aldo won that last round. IMO, the cardio issues has more to do with making the FW limit than anything else. I've only seen this issue arise in two fights of his, but I'll admit that I haven't seen them all. But, like I say, winning is all that is asked of a competitor.

Good points, something to think about
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #41
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
This is a good question. Aldo, Jones, and Edgar had been fighting for that number 3 spot (behind Silva and St. Pierre) for a whole now. Last night's fight obviously takes Edgar out of the discussion (for now).

So now Aldo and Jones must fight. I say 185lb catch weight...
1) Anderson Silva
2) GSP
3) Jose Aldo
4) JJ
5) Ronda Rousey
6) Bendo
7) Brown Pride
Demetrious Johnson
9) JDS
10) Frankie Edgar

*Barao and Hendo are up there, Barao will fight for that #10 spot in a few weeks!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
1) Anderson Silva
2) GSP
3) Jose Aldo
4) JJ
5) Ronda Rousey
6) Bendo
7) Brown Pride
Demetrious Johnson
9) JDS
10) Frankie Edgar

*Barao and Hendo are up there, Barao will fight for that #10 spot in a few weeks!
Why is Hendo on there? A close decision over Shogun in 2011, when Hendo spent the last round facedown on the canvas half dead from exhaustion, is enough to keep a 42 year old in the p4p consideration in 2013?

He's a top-5 ATG for sure, but in Feb 2013 he hasn't done anything to warrant being placed anywhere near a p4p list.

When he fights Machida it'll be 15 months between trips to the cage, and that's too long to be confident in any sort of p4p-worthy performance IMO. Especially for a 42 year old.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #43
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

I think your list loses all of its credibility somewhere between No. 4 and No. 6.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #44
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

is that a girl fighter at #5? lol

Maybe p4p 500! I bet there are at least 499 male mma fighters her weight in the world that will beat her alone, and thats just at her weight
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #45
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Why is Hendo on there? A close decision over Shogun in 2011, when Hendo spent the last round facedown on the canvas half dead from exhaustion, is enough to keep a 42 year old in the p4p consideration in 2013?

He's a top-5 ATG for sure, but in Feb 2013 he hasn't done anything to warrant being placed anywhere near a p4p list.

When he fights Machida it'll be 15 months between trips to the cage, and that's too long to be confident in any sort of p4p-worthy performance IMO. Especially for a 42 year old.

B-E-N-D-O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I think your list loses all of its credibility somewhere between No. 4 and No. 6.
All of it's credibility?

No, just no. Don't be ***ist. Ronda Rousey is the Iron Mike of this era, and will continue to be. So long as there are female Contenders swimming in her waters does she deserve to be critiqued as everyone else in the World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 View Post
is that a girl fighter at #5? lol

Maybe p4p 500! I bet there are at least 499 male mma fighters her weight in the world that will beat her alone, and thats just at her weight

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum