Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: The greater fighter...
Jose Aldo 15 51.72%
Jon Jones 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #61
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who do you consider greater at this point: Jose Aldo or Jon Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I ask again. Who besides Edgar on Aldo's resume is better than anybody that Jones has beaten? Faber? Mike Brown? Florian, who looked like he trained for the fight in a concentration camp? Manny Gamburyan?

I'll also point out again that Aldo looked like he was a weight class larger than the guy from the higher division.
You're making the mistake of automatically thinking that a bigger name equals a tougher opponent.

Yes, Bones has beaten Shogun Rua and Rampage Jackson, but those guys in the states they were in at the time Jones beat them were not better lightheavyweights than Urijah Faber or Chad Mendes were as featherweights at the times that Aldo fought them.

The only wins of Jones's that I really rated were Machida and Rashad, because Vitor is a middleweight now (who'd already been wrecked by Anderson and who is so prone to flopping in his big fights) and Bader is C-class at best (Tito's bitch - "nuff said").

But now when I think about it, Rashad has sucked as a fighter ever since Machida shattered his jaw and his ego in '09. Since then Rashad has been a tepid, boring, safety-first wrestler with poor punch resistance. Machida is the sole win on Jones's resume just now that actually means something, and I think Aldo has more than one significant victory on his ledger.

Aldo's win over Edgar > Jones's win over Machida
Aldo's strength in depth of resume > Jones's

So, for now at least, I go with Aldo.
Manila is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #62
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
If you're going to post silly shit then play dumb about it, I'm not going to bother with you.
You accuse me of playing dumb while continuously playing the fool.

I never once said that a victory over a fighter in their 30's can't be considered a legitimate win. I even referred to Edgar as being in his prime when Aldo faced him in an earlier post.

What I made was a general comment about the age of Jones' opponents. Jones has wins over a lot of big names that are past their peaks. You go off blathering a bunch of shit, arguing against points that I didn't make.

I haven't even commented on who I think is currently the better fighter.

The point I made still remains valid. Aldo was put in a situation the other night that Jones has never been in. The opportunity has yet to present itself. It might even be a situation that is never presented to Jones. How many of the top heavyweights can make 205? JDS? No. Cain? Doubtful. A fight with Cormier, at 205, would currently be the closest thing in this regard.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #63
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila View Post
You're making the mistake of automatically thinking that a bigger name equals a tougher opponent.

Yes, Bones has beaten Shogun Rua and Rampage Jackson, but those guys in the states they were in at the time Jones beat them were not better lightheavyweights than Urijah Faber or Chad Mendes were as featherweights at the times that Aldo fought them.

The only wins of Jones's that I really rated were Machida and Rashad, because Vitor is a middleweight now (who'd already been wrecked by Anderson and who is so prone to flopping in his big fights) and Bader is C-class at best (Tito's bitch - "nuff said").

But now when I think about it, Rashad has sucked as a fighter ever since Machida shattered his jaw and his ego in '09. Since then Rashad has been a tepid, boring, safety-first wrestler with poor punch resistance. Machida is the sole win on Jones's resume just now that actually means something, and I think Aldo has more than one significant victory on his ledger.

Aldo's win over Edgar > Jones's win over Machida
Aldo's strength in depth of resume > Jones's

So, for now at least, I go with Aldo.
I should say though, I think Jones is probably the slightly more effective, more rounded, more difficult-to-beat fighter of the two, I just think Aldo's body of work is a bit better up to this point, as he has beaten more prime guys.
Manila is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #64
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 View Post
So you honestly believe there isn't over 500 men on this planet that can beat her in an MMA fight? Seriously? She's not even close to the top 500 HUMAN in her weight class, let alone p4p.

She is one of the best fighting WOMEN, NOT men. P4P deals with all humans based on your comments. Nope, she's not a top 500 P4P fighter in the world. She probably is top 1 or 2 p4p women fighters though.

Christine Sinclair is an amazing soccer player. Do you really think she'd make a Premier League or even a second division club team in England, or wherever? Nope.
I don't think you understand what p4p means.... The term was created about a hundred years ago when Great prizefighters were found up and down the weigh scale.

Sure, we can rank her #1 amongst other women, but I choose not to. That's a no brainer, I'd rather let the internet know where she really stands in this World. Winning is all that is asked of a competitor, and she has steamrolled the competition. Finishing her opponents in minutes. There is no reason not to believe she is the best Women Mixed Martial Artist in the World... "#1 or #2 Women in the World" is a #ing joke, Ronda Rousey is the best! So good you don't even know it. I find your response to be quite unreasonable and ***ist.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #65
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

I just love how those thread are getting hijack by people that don't even know how to read...
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #66
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I voted for Aldo.
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #67
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Is there an option for Frankie Edgar for winning the lightweight and featherweight titles back to back?
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Quote:
Originally Posted by macp1 View Post
I say P4P top in UFC would have to be
1)Spider
2)GSP
3)Aldo
4)Jones
5)Cain/Mighty Mouse

Cain would kick mini mouse's little ass so he wins the spot!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #69
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Jon Jones is hands down the P4P best in the sport right now! Only his haters say otherwise.. It's as clear as day!
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #70
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Aldo all day, Jones got the frame of a HW and every match up he got a inzane reach and height advantage which he is using to the max.
Aldo is not the bigger fighter every match, and uses more skill then just relying on reach advantage.
If jones had any balls he would go up to HW
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #71
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTINDAFACE View Post
Aldo all day, Jones got the frame of a HW and every match up he got a inzane reach and height advantage which he is using to the max.
Aldo is not the bigger fighter every match, and uses more skill then just relying on reach advantage.
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #72
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTINDAFACE View Post
The use of ones reach knowledge is a skill in itself
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #73
Beouche
Dinamita
East Side Guru

Poll is 14-14

Now that's a match up
Beouche is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #74
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post
Fair enough, but I thought Jose Aldo won that last round. IMO, the cardio issues has more to do with making the FW limit than anything else. I've only seen this issue arise in two fights of his, but I'll admit that I haven't seen them all. But, like I say, winning is all that is asked of a competitor.

Good points, something to think about
I favored him in the last round also, and agree it probably is the weight cut, or him not training seriously, as he allegedly alluded to. Either way the lack of cardio definitely stops him from being as devestating as he could be. If the fight makes it out the first two rounds, it will go the distance. If he had five round cardio I don't think Edgar finishes the fight. I still have Silva and Jones ahead of him right now. He has A level talent, paired with a C level gas tank.
The Akbar One is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #75
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

1.Anderson Silva
2.Georges St Pierre
3.Jose Aldo
4.Jon Jones
5.Benson Henderson
6.Cain Velasquez
7.Demetrious Johnson
8.Renan Barao
9.Junior dos Santos
10.Johny Hendricks/Joseph Benavidez

*Frankie Edgar would obviously be in there on ability, but I draw the line at a guy 0-3 in his last 3 being in the p4p top 10, no matter what the circumstances

*Dominick Cruz would obviously be in there on ability, but his inactivity is now too great
Manila is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum