Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Short guy vs Tall guy light sparring suggestions

I'm 5'6, 170 pds. I've been in boxing in one form or another for probably 6 years. For my size I got quick hands, decent foot movement, athletism, etc. Most of my size is muscle from lifting, and not much fat. I basically been training by myself for the last couple of years (no sparring). Got invited to a gym and sparred a couple rounds. I did alright, but not used to 3 minute rounds, and fought guys much taller than me.
Realized again how hard it is to get to somebody with skills and much longer reach. Fortunately I been training this boy who is about 6 foot, 180 pds for the last few weeks. I want him to get better on the bag, mits, knowing how to punch, etc before I spar with him. He's naturally pretty good. Good pop, I'm teaching him mainly how to fight tall (1-2), not let anybody inside, not by any means perfect but some of the best movement I've seen from somebody starting out. Going to shape up to be a perfect training partner for me I think.

So, I realize I need to get better at getting in to him (i'm basically teaching him how to beat me), and of course need to show him things to keep me off him. In a few weeks I want to do some light sparring drills to make us both better. I've been working much more lately like a Tyson... Shell defense, my head always moving, working more on my left jab, focusing on getting inside, need to work more on my body work, etc.
I have some ideas of light sparring drills, but wondered if anybody else could give me some good tips.
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing