Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who Wins?
Tyson by brutal KO 19 33.93%
Tyson by dec. 4 7.14%
Foreman by KO 32 57.14%
Foreman by dec ( which is not likely. hes not makin it 12 rounds with Tyson. 1 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What do you guys think was the real reason Tyson wouldnt fight Foreman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Those were tune ups after he was in prison, pre-prison he cleaned out the top10 pretty much, bar a name or 2
most of his post prison run was guys who were tune up fights (or meant to be) Bruno? Seldon? Bruno was at least basically legit, as he had beaten McCall..Seldon? but in position by King....Holyfield...everyone thought he was totally shot and due to have a heart attack in the ring.

I will consed that Tyson more or less fought everyone he could before prison (other than holy and foreman of course..but at least holy they were trying to make the fight...) But Foreman would have still been a reasonable fight..and it would have been big money...
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
sean1982
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: What do you guys think was the real reason Tyson wouldnt fight Foreman?

Foreman was offered to fight tyson 3 times i believe, and each time he turned turned down, so i just dont get where the "tyson wouldnt fight foreman" comes from.
sean1982 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
most of his post prison run was guys who were tune up fights (or meant to be) Bruno? Seldon? Bruno was at least basically legit, as he had beaten McCall..Seldon? but in position by King....Holyfield...everyone thought he was totally shot and due to have a heart attack in the ring.

I will consed that Tyson more or less fought everyone he could before prison (other than holy and foreman of course..but at least holy they were trying to make the fight...) But Foreman would have still been a reasonable fight..and it would have been big money...
Yea post prison they were cherry picking generally, Seldon and Bruno were WBA and WBC champs but very weak. Tyson's management probably ducked Lewis

The big fight pre-prison was Holyfield, Foreman would have been a decent moneymaker I suppose.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

You already did a thread on this exact issue.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Foreman Moore took place November 5, 1994 Tyson got out of prison a little later and fought McNeeley on August 19, 1995. So yes Foreman was in prison..but prison isn't like the chamber the villains were kept in in Superman III. I mean...they could have still had talks about Tyson fighting one of them. But regardless of whether or not talks were underway than, the truth is that Foreman fought Bruno in March of 96 and Seldon in September of 96....during that time Foreman was fighting (not allot, but the fight could have been made). Beyond that Tyson could have fought him before Prison...of course he would have gotten more flak for a fight at that point, However, it would have still been a reasonable fight.
I have done threads about this before, both Bill Cayton and Don King had Foreman pencilled in as a future Tyson opponent, however they both had also stated that fighting (and beating) Holyfield was the priority, Foreman was next after Holyfield on Bill Caytons fight plan. Tyson basically lost to Holyfield twice and after that gave up on his career and just collected paydays, until he was plucked for a Lewis fight.

Around the time he could have fought Foreman (pre prison), he was warring with Ruddock and it was Holyfield who fought Foreman. had Tyson not gone to prison, he wuld have fought Holyfield and then Foreman.

If Holyfield had decided to face Ruddock instead, we would have been left with Tyson/Foreman.

When Tyson was released, i doubt he had Foreman on the mind, when there was unifying the belts,. Holyfield, Bowe and Lewis fights available.

Ill post the threads later regarding both Cayton and Kings fight plan for tyson
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

I wrote....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
Because Tyson remembered what Cus told him before he died, that fighters like Foreman would be the worst type of opponent for Tyson, unless he wanted to do a Joe frazier impersonation.

When Foreman came back and King tried to make the match, Tyson screamed 'you fight him'...

George was talking about fighting and calling out Tyson from about '88, although no-one took him seriously till he took Holyfield the distance in '91.

So boiling it down...why didn't Tyson fight the most popular Heavyweight (and when Tyson got out of prison in '95, the linear and unified Hvy champion) for probably one of the biggest Hvy purses ever- because Tyson did not want to.

So you wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Foreman was never the unified champion when Tyson came out. Tyson went after the belts and he got them from Seldon and Bruno and Moorers IBF title was next, but Holyfield ruined the plans.
Well, its true Foreman didn't have a unified title, only the WBA/IBF but he hadsomething much better- the Linear title.
But my point remains, the very day that Tyson walked out of prison (beong march, 1995), George Foreman had already beaten Hvy champ Michael Moorer (on November, 1994) and was considered the Worlds Hvy Champion. Therefore, instead of chasing McNealy, Mathis Jr and waiting for the title to fracture due to alphabet politics, Tyson could/should have signed for a title shot with George Foreman. Who knows, Don Kings pull with J. Suliaman probably would have gained a vacant WBC interim title as well as the straps Foreman held, but of course the real prestige is and always will be for the Linear title...like when Tyson fought and beat Spinks.

Quote:
Holyfield was more of a prioirty fight, legacy and financial wise.
Why?? No-one was talking about Holyfield when Tyson got out...Bowe, Formeman, Moorer, even Lewis made more sense. Holyfield was seen as shopworn and coming to the end of the road at the time (time would tell we were wrong). Everyone was saying this fight would have been competitive 5-6 years earlier, but not know with all of Holyfield's wear and tear.

Quote:
You need to catch up on your facts
I get the feeling you were in nappies when this was happening...I sense some vicarious butt-hurt for Tyson's reputiopn on your part. Anyway, all you post-hoc internet reading won't catch up for being around at the time as a mature, adult observer.

Quote:
Instead of calling Tyson out (a guy just released from prison) Why didnt Foreman call out Bowe or Lewis...or even Holmes?
If boxing is a business, why not match the World's Hvy champion and most popular Hvy fighter of the 90's in Foreman with the 'Baddest man on the Planet' just out of prison- Mike Tyson, for all the cookies in the jar. It would have been huge...up there in terms of events with Louis-Schmelling, Superfight, Rumble and Thrilla. And it would have been more competitive than many suspect.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

High risk little reward. Foreman had a mean streak in the ring,
As solid as Mikes chin was coming forward against Foreman
is dangerous. I think Tyson would have TkOed him and worked
the body.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
Jear
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Foreman still had massive power so the risk was there. Tyson was a massive draw himself so could make a ton of $$$ without the risk. It was a lose lose situation for Mike. If as I suspect he won he would get few accolades, but should George have got the upset Mikes aura and credibility may never have recovered.
People forget Moorer was only the 2nd LHW champ to claim the HW title, the first southpaw to do so or the fact he beat a bloody good champ in Holyfield to win the title, or that he was boxing Georges ears off for the best part of 10 rounds.
I doubt Tyson would still be making big bucks on the speaking circuit now if he had suffered a loss to George nearly 20 years ago.

A calculated decision. Tysons legacy doesnt suffer by not having Foreman on his resume, nor do I think it would be enhanced much with it
Jear is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #24
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 783
Default Re: Holyfield vs. Tyson!...Clah of the warriors...

One of the stipulations in the contract for the 1991 Holyfield v Tyson match was for the winner to make best efforts to defend against Foreman next. The stipulation was added at Holyfields behest.

I've no doubt that if Tyson had beaten Holyfield in 1991 he would've fought Foreman at some point. There was just too much money to be made from the fight.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
I wrote....
Well, its true Foreman didn't have a unified title, only the WBA/IBF but he hadsomething much better- the Linear title.
But my point remains, the very day that Tyson walked out of prison (beong march, 1995), George Foreman had already beaten Hvy champ Michael Moorer (on November, 1994) and was considered the Worlds Hvy Champion. Therefore, instead of chasing McNealy, Mathis Jr and waiting for the title to fracture due to alphabet politics, Tyson could/should have signed for a title shot with George Foreman. Who knows, Don Kings pull with J. Suliaman probably would have gained a vacant WBC interim title as well as the straps Foreman held, but of course the real prestige is and always will be for the Linear title...like when Tyson fought and beat Spinks.
Right, so Tyson should forget the titles and go for the invisible linear title which Foreman holds. Tysons just supposed to come out of prison and jump straight in with Foreman? I think he did the right thing and went after the belts.

Quote:
Why?? No-one was talking about Holyfield when Tyson got out...Bowe, Formeman, Moorer, even Lewis made more sense. Holyfield was seen as shopworn and coming to the end of the road at the time (time would tell we were wrong). Everyone was saying this fight would have been competitive 5-6 years earlier, but not know with all of Holyfield's wear and tear.
Tyson and Holyfield had unfinished business which had to be sorted. Hence why there fight was called 'Finally' it was a fight people wanted to see, just like Mayweather/Pacqiauo.

Quote:
I get the feeling you were in nappies when this was happening...I sense some vicarious butt-hurt for Tyson's reputiopn on your part. Anyway, all you post-hoc internet reading won't catch up for being around at the time as a mature, adult observer.
I explained why Tyson didnt face Foreman and you simply cant take it so you have to resort to childish 'butthurt' comments. Tyson didnt need Foreman, he never did.

Quote:
If boxing is a business, why not match the World's Hvy champion and most popular Hvy fighter of the 90's in Foreman with the 'Baddest man on the Planet' just out of prison- Mike Tyson, for all the cookies in the jar. It would have been huge...up there in terms of events with Louis-Schmelling, Superfight, Rumble and Thrilla. And it would have been more competitive than many suspect.
Yes it would hsve been huge, but Tyson had other priorities, like getting his belts back and defeating Holyfield who he was scheduled to fight 6 years prior , Foreman simply wasnt as important. And it was Foreman himself, who has admitted, he didnt sign on the line because he was scared of Don King. If Tyson can be accused of duckign Foreman, than Foreman is equally guilty of ducking Holmes, Bowe and Lewis. He ahd ample time to face them.
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #26
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What the **** is going in with this thread Southpaw
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
What the **** is going in with this thread Southpaw
He reminds me of that other Tyson/Foreman fanatic 'Foremans Hook'
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Taken from Tysons Biography by Peter Heller

Chapter 16: To Russia....With Love?, page 295

"With Tyson willing and anxious to fight, Bill Cayton outlined a plan for him that in the space of twelve months would earn him $50 million gross. It would start in December with the scaled down (due to the move indoors) purse of $6 million against Bruno in London. In Rio, during Carnival in February, there would be $9 million for an easy defence against Brazils Adilson Rodriguez, in April, $5-6 million for a mandatory defence in the United States against number one IBF challenger Carl Williams, followed by a bout for perhaps $10 million in Milans soccer stadium against Italian challenger Francesco Damiani in June. Then would come the big one, the next 'super fight', late in the year, a closed circuit and pay per view $20 million payday for Tyson against undefeated World Cruiserweight Champion Evander Holyfield. Tyson would then finish the year in Japan, which desperately wanted him for another performance, against 41 year old former heavyweight champion George Foreman. The only thing Bill Cayton had not taken into consideration, the one thing that would rend all these plans asunder, was the sudden re-entry into Mike Tysons life of Don King'

End Chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 19: Defeat! page 337

"Following his victory over Frank Bruno came an offer for Tyson to defend his crown in, of all places, China. The Chinese government agreed to back the fight with $25million, with a target date of November. The opponent was to be former champion, George Foreman, now making a comeback. Estranged manager Cayton said Tysons share would be $20million. But shortly afterwards came the student rebellion and in the wake of the Chinese governments brutal oppression of the pro democracy demonstrators, the fight deal dissolved

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #29
sauhund II
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Holyfield vs. Tyson!...Clash of the warriors...

LOL, Foreman..........goes live and death with two ham and eggers aka Stewart/Savereasy...guys a washed up Tyson waxed in ONE round COMBINED.....gets boxed silly by glasschin Moorer and clowned by borderline yourneyman Kraut Schultz....Foreman in his second career faced only two legitmate fighters, Holyfield and Moorer and the rest were handpicked never beens, even with a gun out to his head he would never ever face a Ike, Tua, Bruno, Mercer, Bowe, Tyson, Lewis, McCall, Tucker , Ruddock etc etc etc...........and as far as standing in front of Foreman or trading with him, lol, most of the above mentioned C levels did and made it thru the fight and one could say Foreman got gift decsions when the going got tough.
sauhund II is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Holyfield vs. Tyson!...Clash of the warriors...

Stewart, Savarese, Schultz, Crawford Grimsley...yeah, they could all stand in front of Foreman for 12 rounds but Tyson can't?
Sangria is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum