Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
The Genius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rumors that C5 might be pulling out of boxing

It's true I'm afraid.

Big Brother winner Rylan Clark is bringing back Strike it Lucky.
The Genius is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
rezzer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Any bad news rumours regarding boxing always come true. The fact is the vast majority of terrestrial TV is primarily made for women and by association the gay community so the possibility of boxing surviving on BBC1 ITV1 C4 or C5 is zero.
rezzer is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Be a bit daft to pull out now when Fury is on the verge of a 'world' title shot.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What has Hennesey done with the dates. **** all. C5 gave the ball to the wrong guy!
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #20
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hennessey has a limited amount of TV dates per year with Channel 5 (I think six with options for two more). If there is a card in March then that's not too far away from where they should be in terms of frequency.

I think this is mischief making as all signs point to Channel 5 getting good ratings and Henessey being relatively sensible with his cash. It's not like he's signed no end of expensive flops- DeGale, Eubank, Fury and Galahad are doing well (ish) whilst being signed to good money if not great money.
I Shot JR is online now  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

DeGale will be on close to 100k per fight.

The viewing figures have not been amazing. Only the Fury vs Chisora fight did spectacular.

Boxing just doesnt work on terrestrial TV. I spoke yo someone at ITV about it and they told me they struggle to sell ad space for boxing and companies sont want to be associated with the sport.

Lets face it you only have to read this forum to know how cheap boxing fans are!
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
welsh_dragon83
Contender
ESB Senior Member

it would be a massive shame but you could see why they would, i mean who's the biggest star mick has got?

fury: i like him as a person & he is getting better but there's a'lot of better heavyweights out there.

degale: i also like him as a person but after the way a acted before the groves fight i think a'lot of people lost repect for him, now it don't look like he could sell out his own bathroom for a fight.

eubank jr: never going be anywhere near the level his dad was, as soon as he fights anyone decent hes going to get ktfo
welsh_dragon83 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #23
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

@ USA Rob

My missus works for ITV and I've met and discussed boxing with several of her senior colleagues and talked to them about it and they said much the same thing. It's a big shame as the Froch/Pascal fight that was last on ITV was a great fight but they just don't get advertising revenue to make it worthwhile.

Boxing is expensive and can be a big head ache for live TV especially with injuries and cards falling apart so often, it's far cheaper to send someone with a camera to a hair salon or a travellers site or Benidorm and just make a crappy Reality Tv show that will get the same amount of viewers with less than half the investment and effort.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
ashishwarrior
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima View Post
All I can say I don't remember the last tiem I've ever changed the channel to channel 5
and you follow boxing you would be spunking all over it if khan was on there
ashishwarrior is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #25
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Hoping this is bullshit, I for line believe yearns just telling fibs and thinking wishfully.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
What has Hennesey done with the dates. **** all. C5 gave the ball to the wrong guy!
Indeed, It's incredible how lucky this bloke is. I'm surprised he has lasted this long.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMACHOTIME View Post
probably gonna replace it with some dancing show , tv industry's crawling with fags these days..

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Manning is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227 View Post
**** me ppv back and now this.
Couldn't have put it better
Trail is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

What the **** is the problem with these people who run these broadcasting channels..? Seriously, boxing when put on terrestrial TV with half hearted promotion has always received good viewing figures.

What other sports are Channel 5 going to do..? a football highlight program..?

All the other sports are taken by the BBC & ITV, all the other sports that could get them decent viewing figures.

Like i stated before..

This is a class thing, the BBC is racist and discriminative against boxing, and by the looks of it so are all the other broadcasting organisations. Boxing is one of the last working class sports, football is billed as a working class sport..? But its anything but a working class sport at elite level.

Boxing came from the streets, and even at elite level, behind the scenes the underworld still has a big influence.

Maybe Channel 4 can step in.

Channel 5 wHERE half hearted and tacky and **** anyway! Missing ring-walks out during big fights, things like that are just pathetic.

Note: How many people are pissed off that they don't get to see, Chris Eubank Junior enter the ring to "Simply the Best" By Tuna Turner.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

@ PK

Although boxing gets decent viewing figures it costs a lot to put on and there is a lot that can go wrong. If someone pulls out with an injury 5 days before or fails to make weight the whole thing is down the pan.

It takes a brave person at a TV channel to make the decision to go back into live boxing (particularly with all the bad press it gets) when they can buy/make some shoddy program that costs less than a 5th of the boxing and is likely to pull in similar and often on a par viewing figures.

The BBC won't go back into boxing, they don't have the money to spare and after the Audley Harrison fiasco are too scared. Not to mention as you say, they are a left wing organisation and most of the pen pushers at the BBC probably hate boxing and think it is barbaric and violent. It makes no sense to US because we're all huge boxing fans and can't understand why none of them want to show it, because obviously we would all watch it, but if you put yourself in a TV execs shoes it's too big a risk. The staple viewers of ITV are women and young people that want to watch Celeb Diet shows and stuff like that, boxing doesn't really fit the bill for them any more and with freeview the make up of viewers for each channel is very fragmented anyway.

It's not going back in to the main stream anytime soon I'm afraid, it's definitely a niche market these days and if anything we're more likely to see MORE ppv happening rather than boxing going back on terrestrial TV.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum