red boy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #62
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Rumors that C5 might be pulling out of boxing

Surely there is a ceiling to how much cash channel 5 will put up, it was ok before but now fury is getting towards the big leagues they are gonna need to put up a hell of alot of cash to get the names over here.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 02-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #63
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
Surely there is a ceiling to how much cash channel 5 will put up, it was ok before but now fury is getting towards the big leagues they are gonna need to put up a hell of alot of cash to get the names over here.
I would imagine Sky Sport pay more for a card than ITV/Channel 5 were. But when you add the additional advertising revenue from being on regular TV, your looking at a simular income. But PPV trumps everything so its withon a promoters interest to be with a network who offer a PPV platform.

Hearn said in an interview with BN that theres no inbetween level. The jump from regular Sky to PPV is huge in terms of revenue. This implies you dont even need to get a high PPV figure for it to make significantly more.

If Channel 5 do stick with Hennesey and he gets a Klitscko fight, don't be shocked to see it placed on Primetime.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #64
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
Look at the last two promoters to have terrestrial TV deals. Frank & Hennesey. Both of them ditched ITV when bigger fights came along for there fighters for Sateltie TV.
From what I remember, ITV ditched F.W., or half ditched him, (Amir Khan stayed on ITV for a year) in favour of football. They also then later ditched Hennessy when they (ITV) were in financial meltdown.
Black_Rainbows is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #65
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApatheticLeader View Post
Silliest post in a mostly excellent thread.

so you think an excellent thread is one that revolves around a tv company, viewing figures and boxing politics .....................typical
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #66
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
I would imagine Sky Sport pay more for a card than ITV/Channel 5 were. But when you add the additional advertising revenue from being on regular TV, your looking at a simular income. But PPV trumps everything so its withon a promoters interest to be with a network who offer a PPV platform.

Hearn said in an interview with BN that theres no inbetween level. The jump from regular Sky to PPV is huge in terms of revenue. This implies you dont even need to get a high PPV figure for it to make significantly more.

If Channel 5 do stick with Hennesey and he gets a Klitscko fight, don't be shocked to see it placed on Primetime.
I guess that's the problem with boxing as an industry - it doesn't generate significant secondary revnues in the way that football does. Merchandising, mainstream endorsements, new kits, souveneir booklets, regular TV money for bulk deals, and so on.

A fighter's career lasts for ten years roughly, then he's done. Very few cross over into celebrity or genuine fame like Ray Leonard did and maintain it. Frank Bruno and Barry McGuigan are still probably more famous than any active UK fighter. And even they don't really have sponsorship or merchandise, just Barry and his various media turns.

Even if they had those things, none of it goes to the TV networks or the promoters - at least not directly. And that makes Hearn's point a bit depressing. My main issue with PPV is that it locks the biggest fights, ones that could genuinely help grow the sport, on a restricted platform.

Yes, it makes more money temporarily, but it doesn't really do anyone any favours in the long run. That's a failing of Box Nation too, incidentally - although it does at least serve a purpose for the international fights.

The biggest issue is that fighters are often paid a lot more than they're worth.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #67
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shot JR View Post
The problem for the BBC is that one of their weekend nights is taken up by Match of the Day and that isn't going to change any time soon.
To me, it looks like the BBC are paying millions for the privilege of advertising Sky Sports who have the real sport.

"The BBC have purchased the rights to televise highlights of Premier League matches. In 2012 the BBC signed a three-year extension to their agreement which expires in 2015/16 season at a cost of 179.7m. BBC director of sport Barbara Slater said that "The new contract will see MOTD celebrate its 50th birthday"."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #68
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
I agree that boxing fans are judged unfairly, there are a lot of middle and upper class fans of the sport too believe it or not. Also, a lot of public boarding schools in particular still encourage boxing and make it a part of their curriculum. Obviously it retains its working class roots as well but people don't dwell on the good that the sport and the gyms do for their communities, they focus on the negatives most of the time.

However, when you attend the live shows it does tend to attract a certain type of punter and usually that punter is a white, middle aged, slightly over weight man with a sovereign ring on at least one finger, usually drunk and often found sniffing beak in the toilets. Whilst that is horrible generalisation it is also true of the majority of shows that I have attended and while it is like that it puts off the general public. We've been discussing the BBC, I remember the Harrison fight with Matthew Ellis, after a very dull one sided fight there was an enormous riot in the arena, the BBC doesn't want anything to do with that!

Any sane, non violent person wouldn't have attended a football match in the 80's either because of the crowd and the hooligan problem and it pretty much tool the Hillsborough disaster to get the clubs and authorities to sort it out. Boxing is less accessible to the general public if they're scared to attend shows and it's not exactly a family atmosphere most of the time. It would be nice to think that boxing fans are less tribal then football fans but that doesn't seem to be the case so much, incidents of crowd trouble maybe fairly rare in reality but they'll be highlighted by the people with a negative attitude towards the sport anyway. We need to try and get the old ladies, the mums and dads, the young kids, back into the sport and move away from these images of thuggish, aggressive fans if the sport is going to grow.
****ing crap post given the underlined lines.
Trail is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #69
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Rainbows View Post
To me, it looks like the BBC are paying millions for the privilege of advertising Sky Sports who have the real sport.

"The BBC have purchased the rights to televise highlights of Premier League matches. In 2012 the BBC signed a three-year extension to their agreement which expires in 2015/16 season at a cost of 179.7m. BBC director of sport Barbara Slater said that "The new contract will see MOTD celebrate its 50th birthday"."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
MOTD gets like 6-7million viewers...
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #70
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
****ing crap post given the underlined lines.
You say that after a weekend in which we've had several threads about how needlessly disrespectful the British fans were in booing the american national anthem on ESB. There's also another post from someone saying that the atmosphere was horrendous and intimidating and it's why he can't take his sons to the boxing when they're huge fans.

Of course, my post was ridiculous, boxing matches aren't full of thuggish people that go there to get drunk and shout abuse, no one ever takes coke in the toilets and it's a real family day out. Long may that continue, how insane of me to suggest the sport might benefit in a culture change that makes it more accessible to the masses. What was I thinking?

BTW I have no problem with anyone getting off their faces on booze or drugs whatsoever and am not in any way judging anyone who does so (just trust me!) but I just don't understand why they feel the need to do it at a sports event. Afterwards do what you like but whenever I've attended shows it's because I want to watch the fight and hopefully remember it, not so I can get pissed and act like an angry teenager.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #71
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
MOTD gets like 6-7million viewers...
What ratings could you get for UFC if they had it on BBC1? A few million maybe? A couple million? And that would be the proper sport, not highlights.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
From what I remember, ITV ditched F.W., or half ditched him, (Amir Khan stayed on ITV for a year) in favour of football. They also then later ditched Hennessy when they (ITV) were in financial meltdown.
Frank walked away to Setanta. Hennesey put Froch on Primetime.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #73
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
What ratings could you get for UFC if they had it on BBC1? A few million maybe? A couple million? And that would be the proper sport, not highlights.
UFC's popularity is still very limited.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #74
Black_Rainbows
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Frank walked away to Setanta. Hennesey put Froch on Primetime.

But why did they do that? If Frank went to Setanta because ITV cut their support for boxing to show football instead, then it's hardly the fault of Frank.

Quote:
UFC's popularity is still very limited.
Sure, but show it on BBC and give it proper exposure, no reason why it couldn't do OK.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #75
ArseBandit
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2688

Quote:
But why did they do that? If Frank went to Setanta because ITV cut their support for boxing to show football instead, then it's hardly the fault of Frank.

Sure, but show it on BBC and give it proper exposure, no reason why it couldn't do OK.
They could just cut out the middle man and show hardcore gay butt ***.

UFC will never have a good audience, not because it ain't broadcast, but because it's shit.
ArseBandit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum