Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829
Default Re: Just HOW GOOD is KEITH THURMAN??

Quote:
Originally Posted by |A|C|S| View Post
u really hate this guy lol
Just don't get the hype.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Just don't get the hype.
lol tbh he does look like a beast and hes young, he had Quintana runnin for his life, the guys a massive welterweight with probably the most power in the division plus he has a decent skillset and decent head movement
in a division with Ortiz, Berto, Lopez, Maidana Thurman could literally take them all out if he improves a bit,.
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Not too sold on his skills yet, but he comes to fight with good power. Entertaining for sure, we'll see how far he goes. He's fighting Zavek in March for a shot at Bradley right?
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Ultimately, closest to C I think, but he has some defensive holes to work on. Not that dissimilar from a right-handed Ortiz, but he fights a bit taller than Ortiz. I've heard stories about how he's a great technical boxer in the gym as well, but we have yet to see that in an actual fight because the guys he's faced so far have been well below his level.

Dan Birmingham (who has trained Winky Wright, Chad Dawson, Jeff Lacy, etc.) says he could become the best fighter he's ever trained.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
Not too sold on his skills yet, but he comes to fight with good power. Entertaining for sure, we'll see how far he goes. He's fighting Zavek in March for a shot at Bradley right?
Thurman is one of those unofficial GBP via Al Haymon guys (like Mayweather, Trout, Broner, etc.), so I suspect Bradley would sooner give up the belt than fight Thurman, simply because of the politics between Top Rank and Golden Boy.

In terms of power, he's above average, but not a massive puncher. More of a thudding puncher who accumulates damage along the lines of Cotto than a one-punch knockout guy. He can get very aggressive, although I've heard he's supposedly able to box from a distance as well. Mixes his punches well, like most Birmingham fighters he's good to the body. Size is well above average for a welter. Speed is a bit average and he telegraphs his punches a bit. Footwork and defense could use some serious work, and he's susceptible to a straight right hand. That said, he's one of those guys who's willing to take a punch to dish a punch, so a lot of how far he goes will ultimately ride on whether he has a good chin, which is just untested at this point. Seems to have solid heart and is a true gym rat. I wouldn't bet against him being able to improve on his shortcomings over time.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

swiss cheese defense. has good power. but he is aggressive and big for the weight so maybe the power is exaggerated especially against some of the competition.

and stopping quintana was a good fighter in his day. but he wasnt the most durable or solid opponant. especially at 36.

BUT at 147 he is a welcome addition.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
ButtBread
@bettingboxing
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2149

I'm high on the guy. I like his heavy power because, unlike a guy who is going for the explosive, 1 punch KO, it is inescapable. You could see how Quintana and that tough Mexican guy he fought were feeling a lot of pain and it was mentally and physically wearing them down. He has a decent work rate and just unloads the pain where ever there is an opening.

He's not a defensive wizard, but he can work well moving backwards and dish out plenty of punishment, which I think offsets that. I think he can adjust to another offensive fighter by moving back and making them walk through horrible punishment to get to him.

In a nutshell, he just adjusts, takes whatever is available to him and inflicts steady damage that is very tough to absorb. I think that's a great tactical presentation.

I admire him for pressing things with his career, but I wish he'd fight a few more average/past it guys so I could bet huge on him. He's the type of guy who is just never going to be upset by a lesser fighter who lacks one punch power.

We should all be rooting for him though. He can be a good star for the sport. Plus, if he does well, maybe others will copy his career path and "I'm not afraid to take a loss" attitude, which would be great for the sport.
ButtBread is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
Thurman is one of those unofficial GBP via Al Haymon guys (like Mayweather, Trout, Broner, etc.), so I suspect Bradley would sooner give up the belt than fight Thurman, simply because of the politics between Top Rank and Golden Boy.

In terms of power, he's above average, but not a massive puncher. More of a thudding puncher who accumulates damage along the lines of Cotto than a one-punch knockout guy. He can get very aggressive, although I've heard he's supposedly able to box from a distance as well. Mixes his punches well, like most Birmingham fighters he's good to the body. Size is well above average for a welter. Speed is a bit average and he telegraphs his punches a bit. Footwork and defense could use some serious work, and he's susceptible to a straight right hand. That said, he's one of those guys who's willing to take a punch to dish a punch, so a lot of how far he goes will ultimately ride on whether he has a good chin, which is just untested at this point. Seems to have solid heart and is a true gym rat. I wouldn't bet against him being able to improve on his shortcomings over time.
Ah, forgot he was with Haymon.

I haven't seen him box from a distance, would like to see that. Yes he's good to the body, and I think he'll eventually move up because of his size. I think he'll improve, but not to the truly elite level. I see us getting a lot of entertainment while he's around though, someone who's fights I will try not to miss.
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Just don't get the hype.
You don't? Really?

He's massively exciting to watch.
He has great power when he throws in bunches, which he does often.
He's as aggressive as a fighter can get.
He claims to want to fight anyone.
He has a great personality and can actually string whole sentences together.

So why not hype him up a little?

Sure, he's sloppier than a cheap whore at the end of a frat party, and his defense is about as effective as Iraq fending off the United Terrorist Forces of Bush, but he's a shot-in-the-arm for a sport that really needs it. Plus, you know, let the fans have some fun once in a while.
Cableaddict is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum