Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt his.

Ali hung around for a few beatings, but is still the top gun as far as fans and present day champions are concerned.
Now people seem to dwell on Roys opponets being subpar instead of ****ing good he really was.
I don't recall champs pitching so many shutouts with 120 score in 12 rounders. Not Duran, not hearns, not Ali, Not SRR, not SRL. Even when they were fighting 'easy' fights. Ali vs Wepner for instance.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,206
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

The problem with this comparison is their relative competition whilst they were active.

Ali fought better HW's than anyone.

Jones hasn't fought better competition than anyone at any weight.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Hanging around too long shouldn't hurt a fighter's historical standing.

Roy Jones Jr. was one of the best fighters ever.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
The problem with this comparison is their relative competition whilst they were active.

Ali fought better HW's than anyone.

Jones hasn't fought better competition than anyone at any weight.
omg, never mind
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,726
vCash: 66874
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Thought this thread was about how he and Steve Collins are finally gonna meet

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
KOTF is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Synthetic Decay
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

It shouldn't affect his standing to a huge degree, he was obviously a great fighter.

The difference is that Ali was tanking damage well past prime albeit looking bad in the process, where as Roy is getting knocked the **** out regularly.
Synthetic Decay is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Hanging around too long shouldn't hurt a fighter's historical standing.

Roy Jones Jr. was one of the best fighters ever.
Shouldn't perhaps. But the reality is it does.

If Roy hangs around long enough, and the signs are he will, he'll succeed in destroying his record, his legacy and himself.

Sadly, boxing's next tragedy is already in its advanced stages.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic Decay View Post
It shouldn't affect his standing to a huge degree, he was obviously a great fighter.

The difference is that Ali was tanking damage well past prime albeit looking bad in the process, where as Roy is getting knocked the **** out regularly.
I don't recall someone so dominant turning so jello jawed as Roy. One has to wonder if Tarver didn't ruin him in their 2nd fight.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

It does help that Ali spent his whole career fighting guys weve actually heard of!, cant say the same for Roy. As soon as he got into the ring with an actual contender he got his ass handed to him so I really dont give a shit about Jones Jr's legacy Im just glad I dont have to look at him anymore.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

If not already, Roy will probably be ****ed up. He wanted to get out while young because he saw his friend and fellow dominant champ gerald mcclellan get knocked retarded by Benn. It looks like Roys career plan has veered off course.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
If not already, Roy will probably be ****ed up. He wanted to get out while young because he saw his friend and fellow dominant champ gerald mcclellan get knocked retarded by Benn. It looks like Roys career plan has veered off course.
The money running out was the 'inspiration' behind the career re-think.

Tragically, Roy will be a babbling mess inside 10 years. Probably a lot sooner.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
The money running out was the 'inspiration' behind the career re-think.

Tragically, Roy will be a babbling mess inside 10 years. Probably a lot sooner.
That fellow has made more do-ra-me than I can possibly imagine. Seriously how addicted are some people to material status symbols?
make a million and spend like you made a billion, crazy.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
That fellow has made more do-ra-me than I can possibly imagine. Seriously how addicted are some people to material status symbols?
make a million and spend like you made a billion, crazy.
I think Roy wasted most of his money 'investing' in music.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
That fellow has made more do-ra-me than I can possibly imagine. Seriously how addicted are some people to material status symbols?
make a million and spend like you made a billion, crazy.
Hes a ****in idiot!..And am I missin something here? please tell me Roy isnt comin back!!..And doesnt HBO pay his ass?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Hes a ****in idiot!..And am I missin something here? please tell me Roy isnt comin back!!..And doesnt HBO pay his ass?
did he announce he's quitting?
MMJoe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013