Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Strange how different boxers at different ages are classed as old!

The whole Froch v Kessler talk has got me thinking about why certain boxers are classed as old when they aren't and other boxers who are older are classed as in their prime.

Kessler is 33 and people are saying he is over the hill/past his best whereas Froch is 35 but still in his prime.

Mayweather is 35 but still seems fresh and young but a 31/32 year old Ricky Hatton was like an old man.

Would you say that this happens more in boxing than any other sport? I suppoese it all depends on how old they were when they turned pro, their fighting style and how they treat their body.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Strange how different boxers at different ages are classed as old!

It's all about the wars they've had, how their body reacts to those wars, injuries, their lifestyle outside the ring, how well their style lends itself to longevity (in Hatton's case not that long really) and also the kind of rests they've had in between fights.

Kessler may be younger but he has had injuries, although I think he'll be fresher than people think, he had a nice 18 months off from the sport.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

Can someone clarify this for me, I keep saying it on here like its verbatim, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it for a while. Hasn't Kessler had issues with his eyes and sight? Or have I just made this up....
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
weegriffin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bowen View Post
Can someone clarify this for me, I keep saying it on here like its verbatim, but I haven't seen anyone confirm it for a while. Hasn't Kessler had issues with his eyes and sight? Or have I just made this up....
He pulled out of the Super Six because he was having problems with his eyes. I'm guessing they're fine now since he is fighting again but a war with Froch likely won't help.
weegriffin is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bowen View Post
That's why he pulled out the super 6 and was out the game for a year and a half, seems the injury has healed now though as he said he wouldnt risk fighting again if it didnt.

I also think Kessler still has alot in the tank.

Age is also down to your body maturing, I think prime for most athletic sports is or around late twenties.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

"What have you done for me lately"...

That's what it is based on, you have a biological age, and a chronic-logical age"...

Not all people are the same due to various factors.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

Cotto is a weird one too hes only 32 but people tellin him to retire, hes been in too many wars and doesnt look that good these days
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Wlad is 36 going on 37 and still looks young and as fresh as a daisy!
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
"What have you done for me lately"...

That's what it is based on, you have a biological age, and a chronic-logical age"...

Not all people are the same due to various factors.
Those chronic-logicals can be a real bastard
icemax is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafflad26 View Post
Wlad is 36 going on 37 and still looks young and as fresh as a daisy!
Wlad hasnt been in any wars that I remember and lives the lifestyle, he's what I would call a true professional!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

It depends on their fights in the ring, their life outside of the ring but generally perception too.

I noted a significant decline in Hopkins years ago but he has managed to still perform at a high level using his mind and good living despite the fact he has got slower and still struggles to keep up if you set a high tempo. Jones on the other hand got old and stayed old but got some wins as he dropped a level in competition. Toney got old but his defence and durability kept him going.

Every fighter is different though we all get old, there is no doubt about that. Speed, durability, stamina, power, all go. Training becomes harder, injuries become more frequent and our metabolism becomes slower as it becomes more difficult to make weight.

They say power is one of the last things to go but even that goes. Your hand to eye co-ordination, timing all slows and it effects your power. People love to use Foreman as an example of power remaining but he should be an example of power disappearing. Foreman landed round after round of right hands on Moorer and through accumulation got to him. Foreman landing the same right hands 20 years earlier closes the show in one.

Father time beats everybody eventually.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
outthebox
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's the same in all sports. It all depends on what sort of 'player/fighter' you are.

If you rely solely on your physical ability, then with most sports you will age quicker - Hatton.

If you are intelligent, use positional play and learn to adapt your game as you get older, you will last longer - Hopkins.

For football, see Giggs, Scholes etc. You won't see Aaron Lennon winning anything at 39.
outthebox is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthebox View Post
It's the same in all sports. It all depends on what sort of 'player/fighter' you are.

If you rely solely on your physical ability, then with most sports you will age quicker - Hatton.

If you are intelligent, use positional play and learn to adapt your game as you get older, you will last longer - Hopkins.

For football, see Giggs, Scholes etc. You won't see Aaron Lennon winning anything at 39.
I don't agree is the same for all sport and fighter can be still in prime years in late 30's and depends on physical ability.You are mentioning Hatton,and he was cocain and alcohol addicted.Cocain destroyed manny fighters like De La Hoya,Tyson,Chavez,Gerry Cooney...I've seen in the gym young fighters in early 20's and they was in terrible shape,they were training every day but partying on weekend.Also if fighter don't have hunger,motivation he is done.Sergio Martinez is perfect example of fighter who depends on his speed,reflexes,stamina,movement and he is 38.Did you watch fight between Arslan and Hook.Arslan outworked Hook in 12 rounds and he was robbed.He is 42 and Hook is 28.So whats the point:Motivation and discipline is more important for fighter than age.
lefe is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
outthebox
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefe View Post
I don't agree is the same for all sport and fighter can be still in prime years in late 30's and depends on physical ability.You are mentioning Hatton,and he was cocain and alcohol addicted.Cocain destroyed manny fighters like De La Hoya,Tyson,Chavez,Gerry Cooney...I've seen in the gym young fighters in early 20's and they was in terrible shape,they were training every day but partying on weekend.Also if fighter don't have hunger,motivation he is done.Sergio Martinez is perfect example of fighter who depends on his speed,reflexes,stamina,movement and he is 38.Did you watch fight between Arslan and Hook.Arslan outworked Hook in 12 rounds and he was robbed.He is 42 and Hook is 28.So whats the point:Motivation and discipline is more important for fighter than age.
I didn't mention age, I mentioned styles.

There's always going to be exceptions and I'd argue Martinez is one, bearing in mind he never laced a pair of gloves until he was 20 odd.

Compare this to a lot of hispanic fighters who age overnight when they hit the early 30's. These often turn pro at 17 and are the same fighters who are often tough warriors, involved in serious scraps. Again, there are exceptions (Marquez).

In most sports, if you look after yourself and adapt, you'll generally last longer.
outthebox is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
BeastsideBoxing
"The Thrill" Gavril
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It's more of wear and tear of the body then the age itself, Froch turned pro late, while Kessler turn pro very early. Hatton killed his body unlike Mayweather. Floyed is old to but that good that doesn't shows as much as in other cases.
BeastsideBoxing is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum