Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #31
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs Gene Tunney

Runney can only move for so long before Rocky catches on up to force those brutal exchanges and force the fight time and again
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Runney can only move for so long before Rocky catches on up to force those brutal exchanges and force the fight time and again
Surf-Bat is online now  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #33
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Has the following ever been seriously considered in this fight:

1. Rocky will be the smaller man. Not just in reach which is important, but also in weight, where he can expect to be outweighed by at least 5 or more pounds.

2. Unlike when Rocky fought Walcott, Charles, and Moore - he will be facing a fighter who has never been stopped. In fact, it is a fighter who had only once been on the floor and that was by an all time great punching great in Jack Dempsey. Arguably (and possibly) a better hitter than Rocky. Is it really safe to assume that Rocky will produce the KO in these circumstances.

3. This is maybe one of the very few times when a fighters work ethic may just match the rock. IN fact, there is no guarantee that Rocky will be the stronger and fitter fighter in the later rounds, as he always was in his own fights.

I think Tunney has a far better chance than he is usually given.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Has the following ever been seriously considered in this fight:

1. Rocky will be the smaller man. Not just in reach which is important, but also in weight, where he can expect to be outweighed by at least 5 or more pounds.

2. Unlike when Rocky fought Walcott, Charles, and Moore - he will be facing a fighter who has never been stopped. In fact, it is a fighter who had only once been on the floor and that was by an all time great punching great in Jack Dempsey. Arguably (and possibly) a better hitter than Rocky. Is it really safe to assume that Rocky will produce the KO in these circumstances.

3. This is maybe one of the very few times when a fighters work ethic may just match the rock. IN fact, there is no guarantee that Rocky will be the stronger and fitter fighter in the later rounds, as he always was in his own fights.

I think Tunney has a far better chance than he is usually given.
The weight is negligible - Infact based on Tunney really being a guy who naturally was a light heavyweight who came up to fight Dempsey then wouldnt tou say Rock would be the natural heavyweight in there really?

By the same token Tunney would be facing someone who was NEVER beaten and who had as high a knockout ratio as anyone in history and he would be facing them in their peak - not like out boxing a rusty tired champion that Dempsey was by then - the slow as treacle Dempsey almost turned the trick himself?

I assume by work ethic you meant the disciplined training? He definately wouldn't match work rate in there that's for sure?
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #35
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

This fight could go either way but I actually lean toward Tunney by decision. Gene would be the most mobile opponent Rocky ever faced and combine that with a quick pair of hands and a good fighting brain as well as underrated toughness and Gene could certainly take this one. Rocky would have to pursue Gene all over the ring all night long as Tunney would rely on his legs to keep him out of danger. Rocky would have to take Gene's legs out from under him in order to slow him down enough to put some serious hurt on him. If he can do that his chances improve. If he can't then I see Tunney boxing his way to a decision in a tough fight.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #36
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
The weight is negligible - Infact based on Tunney really being a guy who naturally was a light heavyweight who came up to fight Dempsey then wouldnt tou say Rock would be the natural heavyweight in there really?
I would definitely think that Rocky would be the heavyweight for the reasons you said. But, as i was pointing out, Tunney will be the bigger man in this fight. Something which i am sure most people wont imagine when thinking about this. Is it really fair to think about Tunney as the smaller fighter when his best fighting weight is more than Rockys, just because Rocky started fighting later adn never really had the career at the lighter weight. I am not saying it makes much of a difference just pointing out that Tunney is not just some little guy hoping to run and dance his way to victory.

Quote:

By the same token Tunney would be facing someone who was NEVER beaten and who had as high a knockout ratio as anyone in history and he would be facing them in their peak - not like out boxing a rusty tired champion that Dempsey was by then - the slow as treacle Dempsey almost turned the trick himself?
Marciano definitely poses challenges for Tunney. I am just pointing out that the common idea that Tunney has to run for 12 rounds and it is only a matter time before he is caught and it is finished may not be as simple as it seems. Tunney was never stopped and even when he danced, like ali, he still did plenty of damage. If Rocky does win this he will need to dig deep to do so. As you point out, Rocky is no easy mark in his own right.

Quote:

I assume by work ethic you meant the disciplined training? He definately wouldn't match work rate in there that's for sure?
Yes i did. My point being that Rocky's lengendary stamina is not the advantage it normally would be. Tunney may train just as hard, and there is no reason why he wont come on in the later rounds.

I havent made a pick and i see nothing wrong with picking Rocky Marciano. I was just pointing out that some of the conventiional reasons may not be as sound as consensus suggests.
Boilermaker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum