Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #46
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Ray Leonard: Best Fighter of the 80's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Tyson fans are crazy at times
Looney tunes crazy. Chip on their shoulder types. Slight napoleon complex.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #47
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I'm sure KO magazine ranked them like this.

1. Ray Leonard
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Michael Spinks
4. Thomas Hearns
5. Mike Tyson
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #48
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Leonard, yes. Tyson or Hagler at second.

1. Leonard
2. Tyson
3. Hagler
4. M Spinks
5. Hearns
6. Sanchez
7. Holmes
8. Chavez
9. Pryor
10. Galaxy(?)
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #49
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I'm sure KO magazine ranked them like this.

1. Ray Leonard
2. Marvin Hagler
3. Michael Spinks
4. Thomas Hearns
5. Mike Tyson
must've been retards doing these rankings
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #50
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
One could very well argue his victories over Duran, Hearns and Hagler can and should make him the consensus choice as best fighter of the decade.

Then again, those victories mark just about the only fights he had in the decade. More or less. It could then just as easily be argued that he couldn't possibly deserve such laurels given the dearth of total fights. One of his biggest and best victories (Benitez) didn't even occur during the 80's, further clouding the issue.

I leave it then to you..........does Ray Leonard deserve to be called the best fighter of the 1980's?
he was just on his wins, yet something about taking off most of the decade bothers me since his contempories who is he credited with beating Duran,Hearns,Hagler fought almost the whole decade, especially Hearns and Duran. Yet Tommy and Roberto cannot be considered best of the decade if they lost to Hagler and Leonard, and Duran to Hearns and Benitez also. And no one had the wins Ray had. Holmes does not deserve it, and Spinks lost to Tyson in one round in 1988.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #51
manex
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

All things considered (even though he's not my favorite fighter) I'd have to say yes.
manex is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

popularity has nothing to do with it. Britney Spears is popular. Is she any good? no. leonard didnt have enough going for him. in fact, his career was too short, certainly nothing compared with Napoles

Hagler did more, he was in there with better people. I give Hagler all kinds of credit for sticking with it in the Roldan fight. Leonard would have quit in a fight that tough. In fact, I think Roldan was better also

plus Sugar had all kinds of chances to fight Hagler and kept passing up the chance. Not enough balls, that was his problem

I dont believe a guy like that with no interest in meeting a particular fighter after 5 years suddenly gains an interest in the same fighter without good reason

and I dont care about his puny wins over a couple of name fighters. hearns wasnt even established yet. just a fledgling champ and another paper title

ducked pryor. ducked Nunn. he didnt even fight Curry. shit the dudes got nothing
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #53
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

who said Hagler wasnt on the downside when they met? that boy know nothing about boxing, let alone be pushing that ignorant shit here at ESB

why the hell he thinks they finally MET?
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #54
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
popularity has nothing to do with it. Britney Spears is popular. Is she any good? no. leonard didnt have enough going for him. in fact, his career was too short, certainly nothing compared with Napoles

Hagler did more, he was in there with better people. I give Hagler all kinds of credit for sticking with it in the Roldan fight. Leonard would have quit in a fight that tough. In fact, I think Roldan was better also

plus Sugar had all kinds of chances to fight Hagler and kept passing up the chance. Not enough balls, that was his problem

I dont believe a guy like that with no interest in meeting a particular fighter after 5 years suddenly gains an interest in the same fighter without good reason

and I dont care about his puny wins over a couple of name fighters. hearns wasnt even established yet. just a fledgling champ and another paper title

ducked pryor. ducked Nunn. he didnt even fight Curry. shit the dudes got nothing
About ****ing time you showed up!
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
This.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #56
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

For me Ray Leonard is/was exceptional. A very gifted fighters who worked tremendously hard to become as great as he did. My issue with him is that he wanted to win more than he wanted to fight. Like Mayweather today, who won't get in the ring with anyone he considers a risk, and if he does want to put big names on his sheet, he'll pick the best opportunity to beat them, at the best weight, and generally make sure it's stacked him his favour. I have more time for a fighter who wants to fight the best opponents and has the courage to do that when the opponent is at their best. This coming in and out of retirement stuff is a load of horseshit.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #57
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanPhil View Post
For me Ray Leonard is/was exceptional. A very gifted fighters who worked tremendously hard to become as great as he did. My issue with him is that he wanted to win more than he wanted to fight. Like Mayweather today, who won't get in the ring with anyone he considers a risk, and if he does want to put big names on his sheet, he'll pick the best opportunity to beat them, at the best weight, and generally make sure it's stacked him his favour. I have more time for a fighter who wants to fight the best opponents and has the courage to do that when the opponent is at their best. This coming in and out of retirement stuff is a load of horseshit.
Bit unfair that, he got in with peak, Hearns and a bigger Hearns second time, Duran x 2, Benitez, Kalule, Norris, he even fought top contenders on the way up.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Bit unfair that, he got in with peak, Hearns and a bigger Hearns second time, Duran x 2, Benitez, Kalule, Norris, he even fought top contenders on the way up.
He did really get beat by hearns the second time didn't he and he only rematched hearns because he thought hearns had lost nearly all his punch resistance
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
You're a little nut-hugging Tyson fan. Thats why.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #60
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
He did really get beat by hearns the second time didn't he and he only rematched hearns because he thought hearns had lost nearly all his punch resistance
Yes but he was always a dangerous opponent. Leonard would have to be stupid to think that it was going to be a walkover. Leonard himself had been put down in his previous fight.
Anyway all I'm saying is that it is unfair to say he wouldn't get in the ring with anyone he considered a risk.
He must of thought that all the other fighters I mentioned could be a risk, specially Norris when he'd been inactive himself.
AlFrancis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum