Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 1022
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuinty View Post
Anyone but Jim Watt.... and Richie Woodhall.. he would be a disastor!
This thread is not about the analyst, Watt is a legend. There is no reason why Watt should not be doing his thing for Sky for the next decade minimum.
richard mossley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
I don't know the market well enough to say who should direct the flow but I'm sure there is someone out there who is a big fight fan and good at their job. Meanwhile it is time to look to a national treasure like Benn or Eubank. Someone who has seen it all but can talk so not Lewis, Calzaghe or other mind numbingly boring fighters. OR go to America and pick someone up. I enjoy Bernstein on C5 and Larry Merchant would be a huge signing.
It's funny that nearly all of your choices are the old guard, all above 40. It's back to the same old, same old. And good god, Benn and Eubank would be awful.

Even Bernstein and Merchant, jesus - the guys are ancient. We need young people who are passionate for the sport and haven't been jaded. Andy Kerr was a great host because he loved sport and he researched his stuff.

Get someone like him, who doesn't prattle complete shit, and then a slightly older colour-commentator who speaks their mind but isn't so cynical as to be pointless. And please don't make them follow a party line. Give them a voice (but not Johnny Nelson's!) and let them live and die by it.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard mossley View Post
This thread is not about the analyst, Watt is a legend. There is no reason why Watt should not be doing his thing for Sky for the next decade minimum.
Watt is spotty beyond belief. He either calls the fight spot on or gets locked into a specific point endlessly. He's ancient and adds very little to a broadcast. Where's the technical analysis he offered in the ITV days?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 1022
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Watt is spotty beyond belief. He either calls the fight spot on or gets locked into a specific point endlessly. He's ancient and adds very little to a broadcast. Where's the technical analysis he offered in the ITV days?
Oh stop being ageist. Watt allows me to mimic his accent throughout he fight and that is entertainment.
richard mossley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard mossley View Post
Oh stop being ageist. Watt allows me to mimic his accent throughout he fight and that is entertainment.


When you put it like that.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's funny that nearly all of your choices are the old guard, all above 40. It's back to the same old, same old. And good god, Benn and Eubank would be awful.

Even Bernstein and Merchant, jesus - the guys are ancient. We need young people who are passionate for the sport and haven't been jaded. Andy Kerr was a great host because he loved sport and he researched his stuff.

Get someone like him, who doesn't prattle complete shit, and then a slightly older colour-commentator who speaks their mind but isn't so cynical as to be pointless. And please don't make them follow a party line. Give them a voice (but not Johnny Nelson's!) and let them live and die by it.
As I stated "but they were never any good to begin with" and this is the problem. No one minds the old guard, especially in a sport so steeped with history.

The fact remain every time Benn and Eubank do an interview in any form of media, people take note because they are entertaining.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
As I stated "but they were never any good to begin with" and this is the problem. No one minds the old guard, especially in a sport so steeped with history.

The fact remain every time Benn and Eubank do an interview in any form of media, people take note because they are entertaining.
But they'd be awful co-commentators. Eubank could deliver a concise opinion if it was written down for him - he's also done the role before and was awful. Benn, he's a nice guy but I suspect he'd be like McCullough on the mic.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #38
T'ultimate
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

It's a shame that Audley is such a joke. He can talk as well as anybody in British boxing.
T'ultimate is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'ultimate View Post
It's a shame that Audley is such a joke. He can talk as well as anybody in British boxing.
He's fought as a professional at Euro level, and challenged for a world title also, so I think he's more than qualified. His standing as a fighter shouldn't really come into it anyway though. Only thing that matters is he can call a fight accurately and bring the fight to life. Audley as a commentator is ****in' "out there", man. Never really considered it, but you know what? It could be a genius idea. I can imagine him going absolutely mental when something good happens. **** it, give the guy a chance. Let him wear that puffy jacket and hold an axe in his hand while he's commentating, waving it around as he gets excited, the ****in' looney.

Seriously though, he might not be a bad choice at all.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #40
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 507
vCash: 1673
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Has Hopkins done anymore commentating since cotto trout on boxnation?

someone should sign him up ASAP...best commentator EVER!!!

I think David Haye would make an excellent fight pundit aswell...he always makes a great analysis of fights he is watching
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StWerburghs View Post
Has Hopkins done anymore commentating since cotto trout on boxnation?

someone should sign him up ASAP...best commentator EVER!!!

I think David Haye would make an excellent fight pundit aswell...he always makes a great analysis of fights he is watching
and he has style along with substance also. He's a good talker is Haye.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 960
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Give Moore a chance in a co-commentator role, insightful and likeable.
Marlow is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #43
Championship
Linear
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 289
vCash: 213
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Mike Costello - the master of adding passion into a commentary and an obsessive of the sport.
Championship is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #44
robster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 245
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Give Moore a chance in a co-commentator role, insightful and likeable.

He's now the resident on Loaded TV boxing, should be on this Friday night for Dickinson v Dolan
robster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #45
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: Who Should Be Sky's Main Commentator?

I don't see why Boxnation couldn't give Audley a shot on one of their cards.

I think he'd be great. He only really talks shite when he's promoting his fights.

ESB loves a good commentator thread!
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013