Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Knee Injury/ Strength training

I injured my knee a couple of weeks ago. The doc suspects it's a tear of the meniscus however won't know for sure until I have my MRI scan. I don't expect to box until beginning of summer at the earliest.

Iíve been thinking about using this time to try out a weights routine for strength (was thinking of the routine in Aplin's S&C guide but cannot see the thread anymore...) but excluding leg exercises. Of course Iíll need to check with my doc if Iíll be OK to do this. With that in mind is there any point in following one if I canít do Squats & Deadlifts? From what IĎve read here and other sites these are two of the best weight exercises and help a lot with your overall strength.

Also, as Iím looking to get stronger, not bigger, do I need to eat loads of food or will I be able to get stronger with my usual amount of calories?

Finally has anyone else had the same or a similar knee injury? If so how long was your recovery, did it require surgery, how long before back in sports etc

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
masterold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Knee Injury/ Strength training

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterold View Post
I injured my knee a couple of weeks ago. The doc suspects it's a tear of the meniscus however won't know for sure until I have my MRI scan. I don't expect to box until beginning of summer at the earliest.

Iíve been thinking about using this time to try out a weights routine for strength (was thinking of the routine in Aplin's S&C guide but cannot see the thread anymore...) but excluding leg exercises. Of course Iíll need to check with my doc if Iíll be OK to do this. With that in mind is there any point in following one if I canít do Squats & Deadlifts? From what IĎve read here and other sites these are two of the best weight exercises and help a lot with your overall strength.

Also, as Iím looking to get stronger, not bigger, do I need to eat loads of food or will I be able to get stronger with my usual amount of calories?

Finally has anyone else had the same or a similar knee injury? If so how long was your recovery, did it require surgery, how long before back in sports etc

Cheers
Where are you based
scrap is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:

Cheers
what did you do to injure your knee?

strength training can also be mainly for injury prevention and rehab, the routines will differ as will the exercises

I'd see how you go with the same calories, as you will not be training boxing as you normally would be with those calories
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Scrap - South west... I'm skeptical of putting the specific city, there's a lot of weirdo's on this forum...

Small - It was at boxing. Was on a heavy bag and as I was moving around someone on another bag knocked into me while in mid punch, i stopped myself fallig over and the knee twisted funny. I've dislocated both knee caps in the past playing football and it felt similar just not as painful.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Scrap - South west... I'm skeptical of putting the specific city, there's a lot of weirdo's on this forum...

Small - It was at boxing. Was on a heavy bag and as I was moving around someone on another bag knocked into me while in mid punch, i stopped myself fallig over and the knee twisted funny. I've dislocated both knee caps in the past playing football and it felt similar just not as painful.
If near Oxford PM me.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
masterold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Scrap - I'm not but thanks for the offer for help. Appreciate it.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing