boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Translation: Marquez breaks down his fight with Pacquiao, talks retirement, 5th fight

Enjoy.

Golpe A Golpe (Part 1)
BORKED

Golpe A Golpe (Part 2)
BORKED

Golpe A Golpe (Part 3)
BORKED

Golpe A Golpe (Part 4)
BORKED

------

Part 1

-Sanchez takes a moment to send condolences to the victims of the Conneticut school shooting

-They’re in JMM’s house, Sanchez thanks him for inviting them, comments on the recent shock from the knockout

-Sanchez asks about the week of anticipation in Las Vegas before the fight with a pro-Pacquiao atmosphere; Marquez talks about just being ready to get in the ring already, and how the media asks the same questions over and over

-Marquez touches on how weighing in 142,143 was the target so as to not come in slow; he was just a bit surprised to learn that Manny came in at 147 but was reassured by his doctor that the more muscle you have, the more oxygen you’ll burn; also mentions how he ate carbs and protein to gain a bit of quality weight after the weigh-in, no rehydration necessary

-Marquez says he never imagine fighting at welterweight, thinking Lightweight was the max he’d go; gives credit to his team for the great work his team and Angel have done

-They start talking about the Pacquiao fight; Marquez says a crucial point was the blows downstairs to the body, which hurt Pacquiao. He says Pacquiao knew he was getting close enough to hit him with those shots, and so he was taking advantage of his speed but keeping his distance more so.

-Sanchez asks if he was concerned about the referee calling him for a few low blows; Marquez recognizes he had a few, since the inertia of the punch changes when Manny moves and covers up, making the punch slip downwards, but mentions you can’t lose concentration. Also mentions that any time Manny motioned, the referee would chastise him, and comments that a referee should have their own criteria; “I asked myself, who is the referee here, Pacquiao or Bayless?” At a certain point he says he stopped paying attention because they weren’t low blows.

-Sanchez talks about how nobody, including himself and Nacho, expected him to get a one-punch KO, but also mentioned JMM’s number of knockouts that usually come by accumulation, unlike most of Manny’s; asks if Marquez ever imagined ending the fight like that. Marquez responds by saying you know I’ve never been a super hard puncher, but I chop them down round after round ; I was chopping Pacquiao down from the body, with shots up top, etc. But logically it was a clash of two bodies of mass, which made it a very strong impact.
-Sanchez mentions the sparring video in which he knocked down his sparring partner with the same shot, both comment how this wasn’t a “lucky” shot as some are purporting, and that that type of thing rarely happens in boxing.

-JMM mentions he didn’t have his arm fully extended, but he had full support of his foot and rotation of the shoulders and that gave him the torque necessary.

Part 2

-The run the sports-science bit which talks a bunch of statistics; apparently Manny’s head turned at 900 degrees in a second, almost double the speed at which an eye can move; apparently, the potassium spilling out of certain brain cells as others suddenly absorb calcium is what causes a sort-circuit in the brain.

-JMM says he felt the impact on his two knuckles, and it’s a shot they worked on in the gym; says the impact he felt in the gym was the same he felt on his hand in the fight. They became swollen during the fight. Says you can really feel the impact; it’s always better to land right on the knuckles because they’re bone. Talks about how landing on the wrong knuckles can give you a fracture, but it’s best that all 4 land, though it’s hard to land it in such a way. He also likens to fighting with gloves to being bare-handed or wearing a cast.

-Says he was worried about Manny on the floor after he wasn’t getting up. He first went to the neutral corner as the rules say, despite knowing he wasn’t going to get up, as Bayless was counting, which Marquez thinks was an error given how he fell. Says he was relieved to see he was alright once he got up and composed himself.

-Sanchez comments how Mexicans by nature like to make jokes out of everything and anything, but how Marquez wanted to maintain a level of order and respect, and that Pacquiao always had a kind word for the Mexican people. Marquez responds by saying that Pacquiao deserves respect, since that can happen to anyone in a ring, that he was filled with anger when social media was sharing those jokes, but that he can’t tell anyone what to do or not to do, he was just personally annoyed, but that’s how Mexicans are.

Part 3

- On round 1: “The first round was a round where I studied, watching to see what Pacquiao was going to bring, if he was really going to come out as he said he was, if he was going to pressure round after round. So we came out jabbing, and Pacquiao would suddenly throw those fast punches, so we were using lateral steps, jabs, hooks downstairs, and it looked like Manny was going for everything in that first round.”

Sanchez: “They gave the first round to Pacquiao. Do you agree?”

JMM: “I’m not in agreement. I put in good enough work to win the round, why? Because I landed the better punches. If we look at the round, Manny Pacquiao landed one or two punches on me. I landed the harder punches to the body, but it’s almost like amateur boxing where shots to the body don’t count.

-On round 2: “In the second round, what we were thinking of was throwing combinations, and not to abandon the center of the ring, which was an important part; to keep using lateral steps, combining lateral steps with combinations so as to not facilitate Manny Pacquiao throwing his own speedy combinations . That was the goal of round 2; to box, to keep jabbing, throwing hooks upstairs, to keep fainting, because the feints are important. And in the 2nd round I remember well throwing a right hook (overhand right) that connected very well. I feinted the jab downstairs and I landed the right upstairs. And I’ll tell you again Jorge, not abandoning the center, which is such an important point when you fight a southpaw, and even more so for the style of Manny Pacquiao.”

“We knew that working the body was going to be an important point. We were training with Nacho Beristain, who’s completely involved in what you have to do, was working on right-uppercut, left-uppercut, left hook upstairs, left hook downstairs. We were working on more consistent and powerful shots to the body.”

Sanchez: “How does one not become afraid of saying ‘I’m going to go downstairs’ against a beast like Manny Pacquiao who might catch you? Because he who goes downstairs takes a risk, Juan.”

JMM: "That’s the risk, the risk we were aware and prepared for. What we did was connect with speed, and after move the waist, so that Manny Pacquiao couldn’t connect. So we’d land the left hook downstairs, and either move the waist or take a lateral step. For example, after landing the left hook, what you need to do is move your waist towards the right; why? So you don’t leave the door open for Manny to counter-punch you. “

-On the 3rd round: “That punch we’ve been throwing since 2004, and we worked on it in the gym. But that’s a product of constantly working, working downstairs, so suddenly, you feint, and you change it to a blow upstairs, and that blow onto a southpaw is really formidable, because he’s in this position (mimics southpaw position), so you feint downstairs, and he brings down his (left) elbow, along with his hand, and he leaves his chin open for that shot. And we were working that shot a lot, and in the other fights he never went down, I didn’t land in such a strong manner as in this fight, where I landed it directly on the chin, very strong, and in the other fights there was a bit more distance. What I did was bend my waist, feint as if to throw the left downstairs, and I came up at the perfect distance to connect that right hand shot, which was so powerful.”

Sanchez: “How much space do you need to land a shot like that, Juan? Because it seems like you made a couple of advances with your left leg before throwing it.”

JMM. “Yes, what you have to do is measure the distance more or less necessary for the blow to land, but to measure that distance, you need to come in moving your waist, not showing an open target, because Manny Pacquiao takes advantage of those situations. Or he’ll move and take away the distance you need for the shot. So what you have to do is move your waist, and when you think you’re ready to throw that shot, that’s the opportune moment, the precise moment, because you’ve already then opened the guard and closed the distance needed for the punch, and so our experience, 20 years of a career, allows us to say ‘that’s the moment to throw.’”

“Experience told us to stay calm, because Manny Pacquiao, and not just him but other fighters with the characteristics of Manny Pacquiao, are more dangerous when they’re hurt. Because those hurt fighters throw punches like crazy, and what happens if one of those connects? You can go to the canvas, and that could have been me.”

“He recovered, and that round was one where we were going to be chopping away. Like I said at the start, I’m not a fighter with a huge punch, I go chopping round after round, and in that round we were landing hard and clean punches.”
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Translation: Marquez breaks down his fight with Pacquiao, talks retirement, 5th f

Part 4

-On round 5: “The 5th round was a phenomenal round of give-and-take; Manny Pacquiao was looking for the knockout as he’d said he would, after landing a right hook that he threw really well. He threw a straight left, and finished with a right hook that hit me exactly on the bridge of the nose. After I made some sort of side-step, I don’t remember what I did, to back off, since it was right on the bridge. It was very hard, it hurt me. But I came in great shape, we were really focused on the fight, and we were ultimately able to achieve what we were aspiring to do.”

“The hook moves you, it takes you out of his range, due to the intensity and the force, so it moves me a little bit, but Manny goes in one direction, and I go the other, so that takes away his opportunity to land another hook, or to finish with a straight.”

-On the last seconds, after Sanchez comments on the worry of people watching JMM get cornered as Manny threw while giving no response.

“There was some response; minimal response, but forceful response, where Manny Pacquiao hesitated to come in. We saw when I go to the ropes, since Manny is coming in throwing his fast combinations, I take advantage by ducking down to feint low, and maybe throw an overhand right, or a left hook-right hand, and Manny Pacquiao felt the shots solidly, and didn’t keep pursuing his attack.”

“In 2004, I went to the floor and everybody thought I was finished, and in this case it was the same. I came in great shape, and I don’t think the point of my nose was going to be important in terms of getting my out of the fight, and much less to take away my will to win, or to beat this heart that was so determined to get this triumph.”

“Nacho concentrated more on the cut on the top of the nose. That’s why he didn’t really tend to the nostrils.”

-On round 6: “I wasn't suffering in the fight (at that point). You saw what happened in the first two rounds, then I dropped him in the 3rd, I dominated in the 4th, in the 5th Pacquiao comes out with lots of fast punches, but after in the sixth, Manny Pacquiao wanted to take advantage of my bleeding, but I also had an answer to the things he wanted to do. Answers that landed really hard anytime we exchanged. That’s why Pacquiao decided not to keep advancing all the time in the fight, because he also faced the risk of going to the canvas, and the knockdown of the 3rd round didn’t allow him all of the confidence to keep going for the knockout.”

-Talks about meeting with the president and being happy to be received in the palace, dedicating the fight with him

-Sanchez asks what he says to the people who are very upset with his public support for the president; Marquez says he doesn’t want to tell people what to think, and equates dedicating the fight to the president with dedicating the fight to all of Mexico; says that he’s not married to any party but supports change within the country to do better.

-On a 5th fight, Marquez says what his family says and is team says is important, but above all what his heart says. He’s going to talk with his kids and his wife, because even though he’s with them, for 4 and a half months, it’s as if he wasn’t there due to the focus on training. Marquez thanks the Mexican fans for their support, and says that once he makes a decision, it’s going to be definite.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Translation: Marquez breaks down his fight with Pacquiao, talks retirement, 5th f

Good work Bogo.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

I hope they don't fight again. It's a natural, but both fighters are getting on in age. It would be great for both fighters to retire.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Changfoo
Titanium
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 891

Great translation. Thanks G!
Changfoo is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
ko00
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

thanks for the post much appreciated

JMM is a real old school fighter and he shows such great composure under pressure, it was a great win against a manny that was clearly on form

I dont want to see a 5th fight and even though marquez got whitewashed by mayweather if a rematch ever happened I would love to see if JMM could come up with a solution to match floyds skills (although its unlikely) if not he should retire a legend
ko00 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276

Thankyou, my brother. Always appreciate the translations.

Quote:
JMM mentions he didn't have his arm fully extended, but he had full support of his foot and rotation of the shoulders and that gave him the torque necessary.
Exactly what I've been pointing out over the past week or two.

Quote:
..but after in the sixth, Manny Pacquiao wanted to take advantage of my bleeding, but I also had an answer to the things he wanted to do. Answers that landed really hard anytime we exchanged
This is G.

Quote:
Marquez responds by saying that Pacquiao deserves respect, since that can happen to anyone in a ring, that he was filled with
anger when social media was sharing those jokes, but that he can't tell anyone what to do or not to do, he was just personally annoyed, but that's how mexicans are.
This is class.

Respect the Juan.

Last edited by Smokin' Joe; 12-23-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Did he just say he dominated the 4th round?

Chopping Pacquiao up??

Marquez must be thinking of a different fight. He doesn't seem to want to give Pacquiao much credit for anything, as most believe he was beating Marquez before the end.

But that's fighters and ego for ya.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 10918

Bogotazo, thanks man for the translation.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Thanks for the translation.

Quote:
Manny’s head turned at 900 degrees in a second
his head spun in circles ala exorcist?
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 696

Quote:
-On the 3rd round: “That punch we’ve been throwing since 2004, and we worked on it in the gym. But that’s a product of constantly working, working downstairs, so suddenly, you feint, and you change it to a blow upstairs, and that blow onto a southpaw is really formidable, because he’s in this position (mimics southpaw position), so you feint downstairs, and he brings down his (left) elbow, along with his hand, and he leaves his chin open for that shot. And we were working that shot a lot, and in the other fights he never went down, I didn’t land in such a strong manner as in this fight, where I landed it directly on the chin, very strong, and in the other fights there was a bit more distance. What I did was bend my waist, feint as if to throw the left downstairs, and I came up at the perfect distance to connect that right hand shot, which was so powerful.”
good stuff. I wish this gif had the whole sequence. He came with the jab upstairs first b4 the feint downstairs

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Thanks, Bogo, this is fantastic !

Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
ajillusions
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 891

Really appreciate the time it took to do this Bog. This is what this forum should be about… great threads that provide knowledge and insight, not fanboyism and petty arguments.

Thanks again bro.
ajillusions is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
good stuff. I wish this gif had the whole sequence. He came with the jab upstairs first b4 the feint downstairs
I don't think the jab had as much to do with it as the direction juans eyes were looking. You can tell pac noticed Juan was going wide when he flinches (a lil late, due to the misdirection)
megavolt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum