Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #61
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000
Default Re: I still want Pac vs Floyd over any other fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post
Pac and Floyd are both super elite, where styles can make fights again. Feliciano is not, nor is Dan, and barring a lucky punch, have no chance to compete on that elite level.

Corley shook both Floyd and Cotto - he's not on that level, but hey, he got lucky twice.
Mayweather is as clearly on a different level from Pac as either of them is from Feliciano or Dan, IMO.

If Pac is elite, Mayweather is super-elite.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #62
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I never bought into Mayweather/Pacquiao as competitive. Floyd is all wrong for him, given his speed, timing and ability to place counters with such precision. And Floyd being the naturally bigger man, too.

A far better fight would have been Mayweather vs. a prime Paul Williams. A huge welter with heart, chin, workrate, and just enough speed and power to keep it interesting. A 7-inch reach advantage is nothing to sneeze at, particularly given that Floyd has enjoyed that advantage throughout his career. (ODLH has equivalent reach, listed at 73 versus Floyd's 72 on BoxRec.)
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #63
Toker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramini View Post
Floyd says Aaron Pryor gives him the toughest fight in history near his size becuase of pressure work rate and unorthodoxy. The "outside the box" tests never came up before 2009 Pac.

There's something about Pac that Floyd doesn't like, and something about Floyd Arum doesn't like. Pac is dumb enough to fight a guy who has his number 4 to 27 times.
I actually think there's something (I wonder what?) about Arum Floyd doesn't like. I don't think he feels very threatened by Pac (ever) but it's a personal beef between Arum and Floyd. Notice Floyd hasn't fought any of Arum's fighters since they split. That right there tells you it has to do with Floyd, and Arum not Floyd and Pac.
Toker is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #64
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Mayweather is as clearly on a different level from Pac as either of them is from Feliciano or Dan, IMO.

If Pac is elite, Mayweather is super-elite.

you really do love yourself some floyd don't you.

The guy is great, but come on. The guy has gone his whole career without ever fighting a challenge against another ATG in there prime weight.

So i don't feel you can call him super elite.

Its missing that one standout victory that all "Super Elites" Have.

Pac would have been it!
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #65
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Yeah I've rewatched their last fights recently, and I still think Pacquiao gives him a tough fight. I'd pick Floyd now because Manny has lost a lot physically and he just isn't the machine he once was; but Floyd is also looking pretty old too. He genuinely had a really hard fight with a damaged / way over the hill Cotto and lost 4 rounds and really could have lost if Cotto had enough gas to keep the pace the full 12.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #66
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
you really do love yourself some floyd don't you.
Not really. Some just have a distorted view of Pacquiao, and of the distance between them being narrower than it is.

Quote:
The guy is great, but come on. The guy has gone his whole career without ever fighting a challenge against another ATG in there prime weight.
Pacquiao's prime weight was super feather, where he campaigned from 2005-2008. During that time Floyd was a light welterweight and then a welterweight...2-3 divisions north. So it wasn't quite realistic for them to ever meet at Pac's "prime weight", was it?

Quote:
So i don't feel you can call him super elite.

Its missing that one standout victory that all "Super Elites" Have.

Pac would have been it!
Pacquiao @ welterweight might have been a nice scalp - but it wouldn't have been the #1 career-definer for Mayweather, no.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #67
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Not really. Some just have a distorted view of Pacquiao, and of the distance between them being narrower than it is.

Your the one with the distorted view here dude. Who has the better resume? Pac. Who's greater ? Pac. You putting Floyd in another class then Pacquiao has no ground to support it.

Quote:
Pacquiao @ welterweight might have been a nice scalp - but it wouldn't have been the #1 career-definer for Mayweather, no.
It would have BY FAR been his career defining win . Your just talking out your ass.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #68
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Floyd is really and truly an underachiever, Pac an overachiever against everybody but JMM.

Floyd's fights with Judah, Corley, Augustus, Carlos Hernandez, Jesus Chavez, Castillo, Sosa, Oscar, Cotto, (Hatton early) and Reggie Sanders show a guy who has flaws. His perfect performances against Gatti, Marquez, Brusseles, Ndou, and Corrales are the exception.

Common opponents between these two super elites are all over the place.

Their accomplishments put them on the same level, though common sense and boxing savy will always pick Floyd, while Pac's unorthodox success looks flukish but just isn't. They should have fought.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #69
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

Floyd doesn't fight anyone coming off a loss which makes sense. Imagine Floyd beating Pac if they were to fight today. The critics would have a field day with lines like, "Cherry picking coward! He waited for Pac to be softened by others so he can swoop down on leftovers."

Pac needs to rematch Bradley. If he wins it would nicely set up a sensible fight with either Floyd or JMM. But hey, I'd be more than willing to watch Pac-Floyd in April or May if it happens. Not what I prefer but not something I'll complain about either.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #70
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander Tasco View Post
Your the one with the distorted view here dude. Who has the better resume? Pac. Who's greater ? Pac. You putting Floyd in another class then Pacquiao has no ground to support it.

It would have BY FAR been his career defining win . Your just talking out your ass.
I agree. No other win on Floyd's resume comes close to 2009 Pac. He had a chance to cement his greatness indisputably. He really really did, something fighters should live for. Those kinds of opponents are once in a lifetime.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #71
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Floyd vs Trout
Floyd vs Martinez

Both are more interesting fights. pacquiao would lunge his face into Floyd's check hook and right resulting in him being stopped through accumulation.
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #72
11player
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Agreed, Floyd vs Pac is still a big fight, one I'd love to see, but Floyd vs Canelo is bigger now.

Maybe Floyd vs JMM as well.
11player is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #73
p4p_kid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

i can only answer once i see manny's next fight. if he looks good, then bring on mayweather..
p4p_kid is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #74
Divi253
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 9062

More than any other fight, hell no. And discussions about these are always a headache, because people can't be real. Mayweather was, is and always will be a favorite over Pac. He has the size, skill and style to be a bad matchup for Pac.

How is Floyd vs Trout or Martinez worse than him vs Pac? How did Mayweather have a really hard fight with Cotto? How did Morales get a 'flukie' win over Pac? Really guys?
Divi253 is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #75
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I'm not one of those who never thought the fight would be competitive with a chance for a Pacquiao win, though I always favoured Mayweather. I know it's more fashionable to say Mayweather puts on a clinic at any time without question just because he's laughing last but no thanks. There was great intrigue there, to me. But I don't see a hint of intrigue in the match anymore. I think Margarito in 2010 was the last great performance of Manny's and Cotto in 2009 was the last time he was capable of an ATG accomplishment, by the looks of it. And that was a hard, taxing fight, regardless of getting easy down the stretch. Even Margarito was hard just for the disparity and took something out of him.

Yeah, he still looked good enough with Mosley to be a clear best fight at 147 with Mayweather but even then, his body wasn't cooperating. Hell, he looked fine with Marquez in three and four. But that's fine against an also slowed down fighter. It's really not just getting stopped viciously by JMM. It's the first time he didn't look in elite condition against Bradley (though I thought he clearly won) or to have elite stamina or to be using his full punch arsenal the way he was for Margarito, Cotto, Diaz.

It's all the leg problems. And, yeah, let's not doubt the leg cramps when he's got them preventing the walk to the ring in a fight he's strongly favoured in. He really doesn't have the support from his body he used to, and his style is a young man's style, unlike his nemesis and recent conqueror. In 2009-2010, while favouring Mayweather, I would have only been a little bit surprised if Pacquiao pulled it off by stoppage or decision. I'd be shocked by anything other than an utter fluke one-punch stoppage for Pacquiao if they fought now. Completely uninteresting, to me unless Pacquiao comes back in style, but I think the writing is on the wall.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum