Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

If he comes out of his locker room to watch the undercard, then yes, he'll see it twice. Escobedo vs. Cherry and Hopkins vs. Whittaker, most likely.

Bika vs. Sjekloca, not so much.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImElvis666 View Post
80/1 are odds for what exactly?
I don't know,I just read a previous post and saw 80/1. They mentioned some silly odds on sky after the Frampton fight as well but I don't remember what they were.
I can't see it being for a win. I'm guessing it's either for a ko win or a selected round. I'm thinking probably the ko. Will have a look later in the week and see who is giving best odds on a Rees win.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
HOF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Even if you strongly fancy Broner to win I don't understand the negativity around Rees sharing the same ring as him. Broner has looked the business but he hasn't been tested yet and Rees has looked good in his recent fights. Rees seems to have sorted his notorious fitness problems out which means he is now fighting at the weight he should've been at his whole career. I'd put my money on Broner but if Rees did do him then it wouldn't be the mega surprise a lot of people think it would be.
HOF is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
pikecubic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Would love it so much if Rees won this fight. Broner is good but not nearly as good as the fat sweaty yanks are making him out to be, and hes such a twat.
pikecubic is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Rees will be treated like a mug
lirva is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
HOF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a force 1989 View Post
Derry Matthews out boxed him for 'several rounds'. Really?

Watched it at the arena & out of the big group of us no one had Derry winning more than 2 rounds
Same here. Rees did a number on him. Altho if you just listened to Jim Watt's commentary without watching you'd think Matthews was dominating right up to the stoppage. One of those awful ones where he picks his man and watches with one eye until the end.
HOF is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

IMO Rees will take a lot of punishment in this fight. Broner will look huge compared to Rees. 2-3 weight classes above type-huge. A mismatch that shouldn't even be commissioned!

Rees will keep coming forward and keep taking shots. I see a late stoppage after a beating and a half.

I'll be surprised if he finishes 12 rounds, and credit to him if he does. They don't call him "The Rock" for nothing.

7 rounds? IMO this is where the stoppage will come, 6 rounds onward.

I reckon Broner wins by TKO in round 9. Either ref will step in, or Rees' corner will chuck it in and see no reason for Rees to keep taking punches.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #23
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think he'll last the 12.

Gavin is a good fighter. I don't think he'll win... but I think Gavin will put up a damn good showing. Broner is good... but he's vastly overated. Honestly I think if Broner went up against Burns he'd come unstuck. Burns could do him. Rees is sadly a step behind Burns but it'll be a closer fight than the arrogant yanks think.

I would love it if Rees does him though.
True_Hero is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I know boxrec rankings aren't always correct but Gavin Rees is 8th in the world so its not as if this is a total mismatch.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafflad26 View Post
I know boxrec rankings aren't always correct but Gavin Rees is 8th in the world so its not as if this is a total mismatch.
Physically it is though. Broner is a beast at the weight, to big for it even. he was to big for the last weight. How he is squeezing down to fight at these weights I'll never know. They'll be classing it as cheating soon. When you look at Broner's shoulders, they aint shoulders for this weight. Broner should be fighting at 154. But he is mopping up the divisions and slowly but surely coming up.

Rees is going to look like a hobbit against Broner. David and Golliath.

If Rees somehow beats Broner it will be on David and Golliath proportion thats for sure.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
deebest
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Broner will do what he always does start slow,tucked in behind his shoulder popping jabs. As son as he decides to throw a combination it's over, he is so accurate its scary. I like Rees but he is well and truly out of his dept here. Broners by KO inside 4. I'm looking foward to Broners ring walk they are usually very entertaining.
deebest is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Physically it is though. Broner is a beast at the weight, to big for it even. he was to big for the last weight. How he is squeezing down to fight at these weights I'll never know. They'll be classing it as cheating soon. When you look at Broner's shoulders, they aint shoulders for this weight. Broner should be fighting at 154. But he is mopping up the divisions and slowly but surely coming up.

If Rees somehow beats Broner it will be on David and Golliath proportion thats for sure.
more curry v honeyghan but not as big a shock as that. Curry was far more proven than broner.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
wallworkjake123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Matthews won 3 of the first 6 six rounds IMO, in the 3 rounds he won, he out-boxed Rees IMO. Rees out-fought Mathews to win the fight.
wallworkjake123 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
murphman22
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Yeah but Rees fought at 140 and while he was too small up there its not as if he is moving up in weight for the fight. Rees is better than DeMarco imo. I think Gavin has been pretty hard done by recently, after being catapulted into world title matches he basically moved down and beat everyone they put in front of him, avoiding no one (as is pretty evident by this weekend's match up) and has now been thrown in the lions den. Its a fight that if he wins he might not get the nod. Broner is still relatively untested and by all accounts a guy that got a dubious decision against Ponce De Leon. When he sees chunky little Gavin standing in front of him he probably won't think much of him and it will all add to Rees' advantage.

Shock is on the cards in my opinion.

One further point, this is a legitimate fight. Broner's team might be called for cherry picking (and maybe they were!) but they cherry picked the wrong dude because Rees is legit and will prove so come fight time!
murphman22 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
IMO Rees will take a lot of punishment in this fight. Broner will look huge compared to Rees. 2-3 weight classes above type-huge. A mismatch that shouldn't even be commissioned!

Rees will keep coming forward and keep taking shots. I see a late stoppage after a beating and a half.

I'll be surprised if he finishes 12 rounds, and credit to him if he does. They don't call him "The Rock" for nothing.

7 rounds? IMO this is where the stoppage will come, 6 rounds onward.

I reckon Broner wins by TKO in round 9. Either ref will step in, or Rees' corner will chuck it in and see no reason for Rees to keep taking punches.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
icemax is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum