Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #61
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
We can shit on any fighters opposition. How many people on this site thought he would dominate DeMarco as easily as he did? I doubt many did. But after the fight DeMarco is shit and was lucky against Linares and got hammered by Valero. That will go on and on with whoever he faces.
I'm not shitting on his opposition, but Broner has been very carefully matched. No denying it.

Anyway, DeMarco isn't some hack fighter, but the last two points you made are true. He WAS lucky against Linares and he DID get hammered by Valero.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #62
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I'm not shitting on his opposition, but Broner has been very carefully matched. No denying it.

Anyway, DeMarco isn't some hack fighter, but the last two points you made are true. He WAS lucky against Linares and he DID get hammered by Valero.
He wasn't lucky at all. Linares threw everything at him and couldn't end him. DeMarco then ended him. It was a great win for him. Broner won't get credit because of his personality which makes a lot of fans dislike him. You say he's been carefully matched but he demolished DeMarco who many thought would give him problems and has been avoided by Burns how many times now? He will also beat Ricky if they ever decide to take the fight and that win won't receive any credit.
bam bam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #63
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
He wasn't lucky at all. Linares threw everything at him and couldn't end him. DeMarco then ended him. It was a great win for him. Broner won't get credit because of his personality which makes a lot of fans dislike him. You say he's been carefully matched but he demolished DeMarco who many thought would give him problems and has been avoided by Burns how many times now? He will also beat Ricky if they ever decide to take the fight and that win won't receive any credit.
You made so many good points until you said that!
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #64
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

I've got 200 @12/1 for a Rees victory way overpriced,Gavin will suprise him with is speed and Gavin also uses his lack of height to his advantage,I just think its a great value bet!
billy nelson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #65
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard mossley View Post
you say cut him some slack and then predict he will be stopped 2 rds later than rd 7!

He was referring to bookies having him 80/1. I think.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #66
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
You made so many good points until you said that!
I like Ricky. I don't actually think he avoided Broner. He would take the fight in a second. It's the guys around him. Morrison and *****. I don't think they want the fight. Morrison is already trying to make a Burns/Harrison fight for June
We have to be honest, if Broner had vacated to avoid Burns and then turned the fight down again because he wasn't ready a year later we would be trashing him.
bam bam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #67
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 1022
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
I've got 200 @12/1 for a Rees victory way overpriced,Gavin will suprise him with is speed and Gavin also uses his lack of height to his advantage,I just think its a great value bet!
Ricky Burns is paying you well.
richard mossley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #68
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

He wont see the final bell anyway.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #69
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Rees is a good domestic lightweight. His lack of height has often been used to an advantage. His speed, combinations and durability and ringcraft should enable him to last a few rounds against Broner. Quick flurries in the opening rounds, a low stance and standing out of range may pose Broner a bit of a problem at the start. You have got to expect Broner to eventually warm to the task and stop Gavin with flashy and accurate punches somewhere between rounds 3-8. I cannot see Rees knocking Broner out, I can see him outworking him perhaps, whilst trying to avoid taking anything big back in return. That's his best chance. I'd love to see Rees give his all, but Broner may well be something special.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #70
Jay23
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: England
Posts: 923
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Some seriously low definitions of "special" in here. What about him getting out-boxed by Daniel Ponce De Leon - did that not make you consider that you'd perhaps made a mistake?
Come on.. Ponce de leon wasn't his finest hour but even the greatest fighters have their off nights and its pretty clear hes improved alot since then as you'd expectwith a young fighter..Other than that I think it's fair to say he's looked pretty spectacular.

People can discredit his resume as you can with anyone's but sometimes it is possible to see a fighter never minding who he has or hasn't fought and know he's something out of the ordinary.

I love nothing more than calling out a yank hype job but on this occasion I know I can't do that..

My prediction is Broner TKO 6
Jay23 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #71
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

I think Rees is gonna shock a lot of people. I've put a fiver on him to win He's a very underated fighter and Broner is very overrated.

I do think Broner IS better. But I can see Broner going into this as if the fights a sure thing when it's not. Broner will underestimate Rees. Rees will win.
True_Hero is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #72
Clark81
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Some seriously low definitions of "special" in here. What about him getting out-boxed by Daniel Ponce De Leon - did that not make you consider that you'd perhaps made a mistake?
He's not gonna walk every fight. Do you think Mayweather looked special vs Castillo?

You can't say he wasn#t special vs DeMarco, a fight many believed he'd lose vs another southpaw like DeLeon.
Clark81 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #73
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark81 View Post
He's not gonna walk every fight. Do you think Mayweather looked special vs Castillo?

You can't say he wasn#t special vs DeMarco, a fight many believed he'd lose vs another southpaw like DeLeon.
I can, I did, I have. DeMarco's limitations were abundantly clear - the only chance he had was if he could impose his size on Broner.

At what point was Broner not the favourite in that fight?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #74
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
Come on.. Ponce de leon wasn't his finest hour but even the greatest fighters have their off nights and its pretty clear hes improved alot since then as you'd expectwith a young fighter..Other than that I think it's fair to say he's looked pretty spectacular.

People can discredit his resume as you can with anyone's but sometimes it is possible to see a fighter never minding who he has or hasn't fought and know he's something out of the ordinary.

I love nothing more than calling out a yank hype job but on this occasion I know I can't do that..

My prediction is Broner TKO 6
There is no evidence of this improvement whatsoever. Who has he beaten that offered the same look and problems that Ponce, no one's idea of a stick and move boxer, gave him?

No one. He's been well matched since then to avoid any fighter that exposes his poor footwork.

Your second point is bullshit. You can't say anyone is special until they've proven it against the best. Broner lost that fight with Ponce, pretty clearly if you score on the usual boxing criteria. The guy is a hype-job.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #75
Bellewlovechild
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 446
vCash: 75
Default Re: Will Gavin Rees see round 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
I've got 200 @12/1 for a Rees victory way overpriced,Gavin will suprise him with is speed and Gavin also uses his lack of height to his advantage,I just think its a great value bet!
facking hell 200 live like a king for a year in scotland
Bellewlovechild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013