His best bet is taking Holmes early.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Larry Holmes

This match-up has been done alot...Holmes is usually a close winner by consensus...He is on my card as well.

Holmes 9-6
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #19
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Holmes by about 3 rounds
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Another vote for old Peanut Head.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
For what it's worth: Holmes's opinion of Lennox in "Against the Odds":

"(Lennox Lewis) is a joke--a big, athletic guy who's strictly a front runner. Put him in against a fighter who stands up to him--like, say, Ray Mercer, did--and Lewis is exposed as a man who doesn't like a real fight. Lennox Lewis is just a heavyweight wanna-be.

Hell, he stopped by to see me in Easton once and, when I asked him why he wouldn't fight me, he said: 'I can't give you a fight. You got too good a jab. Teach me the jab.' 'I don't wanna teach you,' I told him. 'I wanna fight you.' 'Nah,' he said. 'I don't wanna mess with that jab.' If the roles had been reversed...if I were the young kid and he were the old champ challenging me, I'd have told him: 'Bring me the money and I'll kick your ass.'"
Holmes always such a classy guy. I love how he's always eager to bestow praise upon other fighters.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
I've always seen this as a tough fight for Lewis. While Holmes lacks the power to KO Lewis like McCall and Rahman did, he does possess the jab and the durability to give Lewis problems.

How would Lewis deal with being out jabbed? When he has been matched or beaten with the jab previously against Bruno, Mercer and Vitali he became the aggressor and was forced to fight and try and over power his oppoent.

I see Holmes winning the early rounds by being quicker and more consistent with the jab and Lewis finishing strong maybe even flooring or at the very least hurting Holmes late. But Lewis tires down the stretch and Holmes to win a close decision.
Holmes was good at outjabbing shorter fighters. Lewis is 2" taller and has a longer reach. Holmes' jab may not be as big a factor as you think. Lewis' power would always be a constant threat.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Holmes could hang tough with Lewis but not so much power to hold him off and Lennox had the right hand kryptonite and a good follow up but if Holmes is still in it after 8 rounds he may finish stronger than Lennox
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Holmes would outbox him for periods and Lennox would punch the mother**** out of Holmes for periods, close decision either way or Lennox decapititates Holmes, not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
For what it's worth: Holmes's opinion of Lennox in "Against the Odds":

"(Lennox Lewis) is a joke--a big, athletic guy who's strictly a front runner. Put him in against a fighter who stands up to him--like, say, Ray Mercer, did--and Lewis is exposed as a man who doesn't like a real fight. Lennox Lewis is just a heavyweight wanna-be.

Hell, he stopped by to see me in Easton once and, when I asked him why he wouldn't fight me, he said: 'I can't give you a fight. You got too good a jab. Teach me the jab.' 'I don't wanna teach you,' I told him. 'I wanna fight you.' 'Nah,' he said. 'I don't wanna mess with that jab.' If the roles had been reversed...if I were the young kid and he were the old champ challenging me, I'd have told him: 'Bring me the money and I'll kick your ass.'"
This needs an asterix: 'Remember Holmes is a bitch ass'. Lennox took out most of the division, he wasn't running from Holmes. Prime Holmes didn't take on all comers like Lennox did for the most part
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Larry was just bitter. He's the same way about Foreman for not getting the fight with him.
As a great boxer, Larry was like many a great beer, very bitter. Still Foreman deserves criticism for allot of smoke and mirrors, Lennox doesn't
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Holmes would outbox him for periods and Lennox would punch the mother**** out of Holmes for periods, close decision either way or Lennox decapititates Holmes, not sure

This needs an asterix: 'Remember Holmes is a bitch ass'. Lennox took out most of the division, he wasn't running from Holmes. Prime Holmes didn't take on all comers like Lennox did for the most part
Exactly. To hear Holmes tell it, he cleaned out the entire heavyweight division and beat every guy worth fighting during his 7 1/2 year reign. But we all know that's BS.
Holmes always comes across as so bitter and jealous; almost like it pains him to praise any other fighter for fear that said praise will detract from his legacy or something.
Very strange.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Fighting a prime Larry Holmes and comfortable anything don't belong in the same sentence. Assuming this is a prime for prime match and nothing else.
Unless we're throwing in Ali and Frazier as his opponents then I'd tend to agree. This is as about as close to a 50-50 fantasy fight you can get if you ask me, purely because both have the same kind of weapons. Larry's jab is better than Lennox's. Not by much, but the speed gives him the edge, whereas Lewis has the better straight right. Lewis has that monster uppercut and Larry's isn't to bad itself so we could expect some big bombs to be landed within the clinches.

I think the deciding factor comes to who is more willing to box on the front foot rather than on the back. Now i'd say Holmes boxes better coming forward, however neither man is going to beat the other when fighting the others fight. Expect a fairly dull fight for the most parts, both men pawing out a lot of range finding jabs and feints, but when they do exchange the action would be heated. Gun to my head I'd probably take Lewis, just because he has beaten an ATG that is also a H2H force, nearer to his prime. Holmes on the other hand is the exact opposite. Oh and the fact I like Lennox a tad more probably played into his hands to
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'd slightly favour Holmes by decision in an extremely rough contest between the two. But I wouldn't be surprised if a decision went the other way. 15 rounds instead of 12 favours Holmes, I feel, considering we actually got to see him overcome in them and Lewis didn't display the late round stoppage up his sleeve over 12 makes me lean that way as much as anything
Really B? I mean if you look at the evidence, you'd have to be incredibly short sighted to come up with a point like that, especially since we're talking prime for prime here. Look at who he fought while and after he'd reached the peak of his abilities. Holyfield x2, Mavrovic, Tua and Vitali. All 4 have absaloutley iron chins, and arguably the 4 best of Lennox's generation. Look at the shots he was hitting the bread hustler with right up to the final bell. Only a select few chins in the history of boxing could of survived the bombs Lennox hit him with that night.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
TheVrominator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Prime Larry had a very good chin and could've handled Lennox's power. I would also see him outworking Lennox, Holmes was just a busier fighter and was extremely accurate with his shots. Lennox had a bad habit of stepping off the gas and laying back sometimes in rounds and this would put him behind on the cards. I also think Larry had the superior technique and speed. Larry by decision or late stoppage.
TheVrominator is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #30
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrominator View Post
Prime Larry had a very good chin and could've handled Lennox's power. I would also see him outworking Lennox, Holmes was just a busier fighter and was extremely accurate with his shots. Lennox had a bad habit of stepping off the gas and laying back sometimes in rounds and this would put him behind on the cards. I also think Larry had the superior technique and speed. Larry by decision or late stoppage.
Holmes could possibliy win, but no way can he be taking clean shots from Lewis, so I don't agree "he could have handled his power" avoided it, perhaps but not handled it. I'm a huge Holmes fan and if the fight goes to a decision, he's probably win, but Lewis has the power to end it if he hits Holmes clean with that bazooka of a right.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum