Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Best boxing gym in london??

Hey a few months ago i injured myself and doctor said i should be good to resume training at the start of next month. Im located in london and decided that my gym isnt best for me and was wondering what gyms you guys recommend?
I've heard good stuff about dale youth, repton and finchley but im sure they packed with a lot of people due to their rep
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Hey a few months ago i injured myself and doctor said i should be good to resume training at the start of next month. Im located in london and decided that my gym isnt best for me and was wondering what gyms you guys recommend?
I've heard good stuff about dale youth, repton and finchley but im sure they packed with a lot of people due to their rep
It's about finding the best gym for YOU in London - not the "best" gym per se.

Repton and West Ham are probably the most successful gyms in the country however many of the boxers start out at other clubs and move there after having success with their original clubs.

Lots of great clubs worth taking a look at:

Earlsfield (3 home grown senior ABA champs last year).
Fitzroy Lodge.
Lynn AC.
Finchley.
Dale Youth.
Islington.
Fisher ABC (smaller club with some very good boxers).

Etc etc etc.
RichC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Not worried about the reputation im looking for mainly a gym where the trainers have experience and will nurture my abilities and halp me improve as apose to concentrating on the good guys and just using me to make up the numbers on shows
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Where do you work/live?

Getting to and from the gym is as big a factor as any.

I trained at Fisher for a while, great coaching/fboxers, but it was out of the way for me.

Now I'm at Double Jab in New Cross. It had a bad rep, but the club has been under new management for a while and things are really on the up.

It doesn't have the history of a club like Fisher or the name like Dale or Repton, however the coaches will invest time in you if show them commitment and there are plenty of hungry young fighters if you want to test yourself in sparring.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Located near tottenham
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

I don't know that area of London well, but you're not too far from Finchley.

Perhaps some of the other posters can help you out, but I would advise you to go to a few of the gyms in your area and find the one that suits you.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

I was going to say, London is fuarking huge. It may be worth giving Spencer Fearon a message on Facebook, tell him your experience, location etc and see if he can help you out.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
curly
Fastest hands in the West
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Where I lay my hat's my home, I'm a rolling stone
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 660
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Located near tottenham
Haringey Police ABC is in Tottenham, Flinchley is around an hour away on public transport. Islington isn't too far away either.
curly is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
superman1692
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
I was going to say, London is fuarking huge. It may be worth giving Spencer Fearon a message on Facebook, tell him your experience, location etc and see if he can help you out.
Spencer? As in Spencer from Islington boxing club (aka The Real Fight Club)? I used to go there. Am thinking of going back, really enjoyed it.
superman1692 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

What's the Real Fight Club like on a Saturday morning?

My own gym is only open Mon-Fri and would love to do a bit of training and maybe get a few rounds in on a Saturday morning?
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
superman1692
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
What's the Real Fight Club like on a Saturday morning?

My own gym is only open Mon-Fri and would love to do a bit of training and maybe get a few rounds in on a Saturday morning?
It's good man. They do the usual stuff they do on the weekdays. the good thing about Saturdays is that they're usually a lot quieter and has less people, which is better in my opinion
superman1692 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1692 View Post
Spencer? As in Spencer from Islington boxing club (aka The Real Fight Club)? I used to go there. Am thinking of going back, really enjoyed it.
I don't live in London, but I believe Spencer was/is affiliated with The Real Fight Club. I know that some of his pros train at Rooney's Gym London Bridge (I really enjoyed sparring there).
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1692 View Post
It's good man. They do the usual stuff they do on the weekdays. the good thing about Saturdays is that they're usually a lot quieter and has less people, which is better in my opinion
Sounds good.

Is there much sparring? What's the best time to get there for sparring? And, how much for a single session?

Cheers mate. Love getting a few rounds done in a Saturday morning, but it's been a while.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
superman1692
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
Sounds good.

Is there much sparring? What's the best time to get there for sparring? And, how much for a single session?

Cheers mate. Love getting a few rounds done in a Saturday morning, but it's been a while.
yea man they spar all the time, so there's no particular time slot. It's up to whenever you wanna get to the gym basically. Sparring itself is free. You have to pay extra to do a one on one padwork session though.
superman1692 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Best boxing gym in london??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman1692 View Post
yea man they spar all the time, so there's no particular time slot. It's up to whenever you wanna get to the gym basically. Sparring itself is free. You have to pay extra to do a one on one padwork session though.
Sorry, I meant entry fee.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013