Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #46
MrPR
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bronx
Posts: 5,018
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo9100 View Post
147 Pwill whoops Floyds ass. 147 Pwill was not wreckless. And pressured behind his jab. People are really showing their ignorance in this thread. The shoulder roll doesnt work against southpdaws. Especialy one that throws 100 punches a round. Who's 6'2, with an 82 inch reach. If you think Floyd didnt like Oscars jab, putting his lead hand down against Pwill is suicide. Floyd would have no choice but to high guard and actualy fight Pwill. And Floyd didnt have the power to make Paul flinch. We all know Paul is an animal. He's not going to stop coming unless you knock him out. To the guy that said Floyd would use the stick jab to the stomach against Paul, LMAO!!! So he's going to jump in face first on a guy with an 82 inch reach? Not to mention the guy is a southpaw. So your jumping in on his power hand. Floyd tried that with Judah and got dropped. lol
Pretty Good argument .
MrPR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
Txomo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 894
vCash: 1507
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

I was going to say that the fight would go differently, with PWilliams all fight on his "bike", Floyd not being able to take his legs off, lower body shots having not effect on PW, etc... It would make me have a guilty conscience, so I won't make any joke about this
Txomo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #48
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 35,114
vCash: 138
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl12 View Post
I see something similar to this playing out tbh. People underestimate Floyd's ability to drastically alter opponent's game plans. Floyd somehow gets his opponents to reduce their workrate to his workrate... 30-40 punches a round.
Exactly he's the master at this. Anyone who thinks Williams would be throwing 100 punches a round against PBF is crazy and doesn't fully understand the sport.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #49
melo9100
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 440
vCash: 2165
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

NO, You dont understand. If you think Floyds style would decrease Pwills workrate. Thats just stupid. If anything Floyds style would increase it.
melo9100 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #50
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In the ring with you impossible to drop
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

After watching him versus Ishida? I think Paul gives any low output fighter issues at WW. He is so long that his arms gum up offense. Also, Paul had a motor on him. His length would make him pretty tough to keep outside to be taken out with pot-shotting. Paul's hope would be volume and fatigue, but that falls right into Paul's sweet spot.

Tough fight to call, but if FMJ is fighting to win (Cotto) think it would lean slightly Williams for every reason OTHER than Boxing skill. I would not put it past FMJ to make it look Baldomir-ish level easy. I do think Paul had a little better foot and hand speed and a better motor though.

Paul by a MD or FMJ by WIDE UD.

Last edited by bald_head_slick; 02-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #51
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In the ring with you impossible to drop
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo9100 View Post
NO, You dont understand. If you think Floyds style would decrease Pwills workrate. Thats just stupid. If anything Floyds style would increase it.
I agree. Unlike most other fighters FMJ has fought, Paul would be perfectly happy to beat all over FMJ's arms and back if FMJ let him. To stop this FMJ would have to constantly load up on shots and force Paul to stop punching. Meaning Paul will be perfectly fine tapping on FMJ's arms unless the return shot from FMJ is 100% effective. Or FMJ will be forced to cover and reset in hope of another chance to crack Paul.

Basically FMJ would fight that entire fight 10-9 winning rounds back. It would be an ugly fight for FMJ.

Last edited by bald_head_slick; 02-14-2013 at 09:50 PM.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #52
Concrete
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Movement, angles and counter punching will give Williams a lot of fits. Williams size and chin and work rate would give Mayweather a lot of fits.

I think Mayweather's IQ would be the difference though. I can see Mayweather developing a blue print through out the fight to limit Williams and Williams isn't dominant enough in what he does vs elite fighters to flat out overwhelm Mayweather with his skill set.
Concrete is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #53
melo9100
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 440
vCash: 2165
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Really? look what Paul did to martinez! Cant move much better than he does. Movement is not a problem for Pwill. Its the southpaw stance. The straight left is Pauls demon. I dont know why he kept fighting so many southpaws. And i think he would have beaten Canelo based on what he did to Margo. Paul ate Margo's BRICKED body shots. That had Cotto on the edge of death. lol
melo9100 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #54
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divi253 View Post
I think now that Floyd is fighting a bit more stationary Paul would pose more problems.. A few years ago when Floyd was moving around more I see Paul chasing and getting tagged coming in, since he doesn't use his height properly. This would eventually lower his output.. Floyd would have to slip and block a lot more now, giving Paul more chances to land and more influence on the judges who score for 'aggression'. Floyd would have to clearly land the better counters, while showing he's effectively blocking/avoiding majority of Paul's 'punishment'.

Paul was a special case with his size and activity, sad what happened to him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
...Oh my God...I have never seen that before ever in a fight...

Also, good breakdown.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #55
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,295
vCash: 107
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Yea I agrer. Williams is a stylistic nightmare for Floyd at any weight. Quintana took more risks opening up than Floyd would ever take so I don't agree because El Indio did it so would Floyd. Quintana tried doing it again, but people forget pretty quickly what Pwilly did to him in the rematch. Williams on his best night beats the best version of Floyd even wins the event, but samething would happen to Williams what happened to Marquez and get robbed.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #56
MoJoGoodie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 75
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo9100 View Post
147 Pwill whoops Floyds ass. 147 Pwill was not wreckless. And pressured behind his jab. People are really showing their ignorance in this thread. The shoulder roll doesnt work against southpdaws. Especialy one that throws 100 punches a round. Who's 6'2, with an 82 inch reach. If you think Floyd didnt like Oscars jab, putting his lead hand down against Pwill is suicide. Floyd would have no choice but to high guard and actualy fight Pwill. And Floyd didnt have the power to make Paul flinch. We all know Paul is an animal. He's not going to stop coming unless you knock him out. To the guy that said Floyd would use the stick jab to the stomach against Paul, LMAO!!! So he's going to jump in face first on a guy with an 82 inch reach? Not to mention the guy is a southpaw. So your jumping in on his power hand. Floyd tried that with Judah and got dropped. lol

P.Williams was not some power puncher either at 147 nor did he have the reflexes/speed or countering ability of a Judah.

P. Will was good yes but he was sloppy with his punches also while throwing those 100 shots a round you love so much and he also through a lot of them slappingly or no bad intentions on them.

Also he is 6'2 Floyd throws the jab to the midsection pretty quick and low...it would be very hard to catch Floyd at 6'2 with anything serious considering the puncher Paul was.

Maybe he is your favorite fighter i dont know...Paul would be a very good fight but a fight that is very winnable for Floyd...ESPECIALLY seeing as PW ALWAYS gave up his height and reach in fights....willingly.

His defense was mediocre at best.

Anyways...PW would have been a great fight to see....but he was very beatable....especially by Floyd.
MoJoGoodie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #57
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In the ring with you impossible to drop
Posts: 13,748
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoGoodie View Post
P.Williams was not some power puncher either at 147 nor did he have the reflexes/speed or countering ability of a Judah.

P. Will was good yes but he was sloppy with his punches also while throwing those 100 shots a round you love so much and he also through a lot of them slappingly or no bad intentions on them.

Also he is 6'2 Floyd throws the jab to the midsection pretty quick and low...it would be very hard to catch Floyd at 6'2 with anything serious considering the puncher Paul was.

Maybe he is your favorite fighter i dont know...Paul would be a very good fight but a fight that is very winnable for Floyd...ESPECIALLY seeing as PW ALWAYS gave up his height and reach in fights....willingly.

His defense was mediocre at best.

Anyways...PW would have been a great fight to see....but he was very beatable....especially by Floyd.
Speed and countering? Why would he counter? He would lead the entire fight.

At 6'2 79" reach you can be sloppy. And at 100 punches per round you are basically winning rounds back from him as he will get rounds on pure aggression, pressure, and ring generalship. You have to STOP him from fighting his fight.

Hard to envision a jab to the midsection on a guy with Williams' reach and volume. Serious or not, Williams would be content to lay on FMJ and tap him all round forcing FMJ to $hit or get off the pot, i.e., hit Williams hard enough to stop the rain of punches or move and reset which may be interpreted as "running".

His defense was offense. His problem was his coaching team not realizing he was up at a weight where guys could crack. Does FMJ have the one shot power of Martinez a legit 160 pounder? Doubtful.

Very beatable, but a stylistic nightmare due to physical attributes for ANY 147 pounder who was not a natural 147 pounder.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #58
MoJoGoodie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 75
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Speed and countering? Why would he counter? He would lead the entire fight.

At 6'2 79" reach you can be sloppy. And at 100 punches per round you are basically winning rounds back from him as he will get rounds on pure aggression, pressure, and ring generalship. You have to STOP him from fighting his fight.

Hard to envision a jab to the midsection on a guy with Williams' reach and volume. Serious or not, Williams would be content to lay on FMJ and tap him all round forcing FMJ to $hit or get off the pot, i.e., hit Williams hard enough to stop the rain of punches or move and reset which may be interpreted as "running".

His defense was offense. His problem was his coaching team not realizing he was up at a weight where guys could crack. Does FMJ have the one shot power of Martinez a legit 160 pounder? Doubtful.

Very beatable, but a stylistic nightmare due to physical attributes for ANY 147 pounder who was not a natural 147 pounder.
Speed and Counering was how Zab caught him when going for the jab to the midsection...was referring to the other guys stance and comparison...things Paul wouldnt do.

Again PW flicks his jab and alot of his punches the reason why he can throw so many....Floyd would not be bothered by jabs of that sort and he still had the reflexes and speed coupled with timing to dart in a some jabs to the midsection...PW was not this amazing boxer some of you are making him to be. Its not hard to envision a jab to the midsection a punch Floyd throws very well on a guy who midsection is given up by his height and the fact that he let defense go to the wayside.

Again Floyd would not land brusing punches but they would garner respect..he would have to start to think about the jabs to the gut and Floyd would start to pick him apart...top and bottom

At the time Floyd still moved very well and would not stay in range to allow him to use this 100 punches a round output...yes PWill will come forward but he would be following....and again he would get picked apart by single shots. Floyd can pot shot to a UD we all know this...stamina has never been an issue.

Another Tactic Floyd employs and would work...is that he does stand his ground with his shoulder out front allows the fighter to throw he ducks and comes up in they're chest a place where he would eat Paul alive at, in fighting. Paul again all to willingly gives up his height and reach. Floyd is wayyyy better and craftier on the inside than paul could ever dream of...plus its a disadvantage for him and his freakish arms.

Body work gets underraed by Floyd but im willing to bet he does a number on Paul there as well.
MoJoGoodie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #59
MrPR
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bronx
Posts: 5,018
vCash: 1000
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

Like i recently stated , i can envision Floyd winning on points . But it would not be a wide decision . I have an extremely hard time seeing Floyd "Easily" beating Williams . Im looking at the fight in my head and i just cant see that . Mayweather size/lack of activity could be his downfall in this fight . Hes not going to be able to potshot Paul all night , Williams would bring the fight to him "ALL 12 RNDS" . Floyd would have face a massive workrate hes never faced before . Williams is not known for his power , so therefore i believe his punching power gets underrated . When he sits down on his punches , He has enough pop to make it an early night for any opponent . (Quintana rematch as an example, He carried his power up to 160 and KOed middleweight Andy Kolle in just 1 rnd) Williams can really bang when he has that killer instinct . Btw Floyd doesnt like to get hit , thats just not his style . Hes not going to risk getting caught so he can land his punches like Quintana fearlessly did . Thats just not the Floyd Mayweather we know . If anyone gets dominated in this fight , unfortunately its going to be floyd , Not the other way around . Williams is just way too busy for that to happen .

I only see 3 differents results to this matchup . Mayweather 115-113 . Williams 117-111
.Williams TKO
MrPR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #60
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: A hypothetical fight. Floyd Mayweather vs. Paul Williams

You'd have to have judges not swayed by aggression to give Floyd a wide decision. Paul would not land as clean or effective, but he'd be too damn active. Floyd wins a razor close one on the cards.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013