Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Marciano considering a comeback in 1959 to fight Floyd?

This was a comeback that would have happened in 1959, And Marciano admitted in another thread interview that when he returned to the gym he judt couldnt do it...didnt have the Heart or the hunger for it ( Those are his Words )..But had he felt different made it through training camp and fought Patterson in 1959-1960, What do you guys think what woulda/coulda happened?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Default Re: What is the Forums thoughts on Marciano considering a comeback in 59 to fight Flo

50-0, 44 KOs
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: What is the Forums thoughts on Marciano considering a comeback in 59 to fight Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
50-0, 44 KOs
Enough said right!!....Did you see the Marciano Interview thread that on here from 1966...Its great!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
50-0, 44 KOs
And im pretty sure Floyd would have had that in the back of his mind..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
50-0, 44 KOs
My thoughts exactly, athough I thought he wanted to fight Ingo not Floyd?
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Enough said right!!....Did you see the Marciano Interview thread that on here from 1966...Its great!
I haven't... I'll try to take a look at it
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Your right he did mention both Ingo and Patterson..
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What does the Forum think on Marciano considering a comeback in 1959 to fight Flo

He'd have more of a punchers chance against Patterson than Ingo, but Ingo was easier to hit and more flawed.

Assuming he did come through and fight either Ingo or Patterson, I'd give him like a 55% chance of beating them if he showed up 70% of what he was in his prime.

I figure he was at about 85%-90% against Moore, but his body was also faltering under his training regimes and hard fighting style. A break may have helped his body out a little, but father time also would have hindered him.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: What does the Forum think on Marciano considering a comeback in 1959 to fight Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
He'd have more of a punchers chance against Patterson than Ingo, but Ingo was easier to hit and more flawed.

Assuming he did come through and fight either Ingo or Patterson, I'd give him like a 55% chance of beating them if he showed up 70% of what he was in his prime.

I figure he was at about 85%-90% against Moore, but his body was also faltering under his training regimes and hard fighting style. A break may have helped his body out a little, but father time also would have hindered him.

But in 1959 The Rock would have to come into the ring the best version of himself he had to offer..I still believe Rock beats him , and I agree with you about Ingo....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

I think he'd beat them both if he found that desire he said wasnt there
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I think if he'd stuck around and fought Floyd next, say, long enough to see an eliminator take place where Floyd takes apart Moore, there'd have been huge demand for the fight and Marciano would get a great fighter in his prime on his list of wins. But, I think coming back years later, with the way Marciano fought, well, he knew better. He stayed gone for a reason. You don't tend to do anything when you fight like that and decide to come out of years of retirement. It requires too much of you, and in too many ways. He'd still have a puncher's chance but I doubt he'd be anything other than a shadow of himself from just a few years before. I'm sure he stayed away because it was not in his personality to take a fight that he didn't feel 100% confident in giving 100% and having it be enough to overcome all, no matter what. If he didn't feel that way, he wasn't Marciano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Yeah, that's all I remembered too.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post

While Marciano wasn't at his physical peak against Moore (He may have had a bit more speed earlier in this career), I think he was at his most complete in the Moore fight. He was technically never really better, and Goldman viewed it as Marciano's best fight. His body would've begun to start wearing down but I think Marciano's mentality was beginning to falter more than his mind. I know his body couldn't keep up that intensity for so much longer but I think he really just lost the fervor. Nobody trained harder than Rocky and it was becoming a grind.

For the Moore fight Marciano actually had a much shorter camp and said he felt much fresher because of it.

I think Marciano saw something against Ingo and knew he could take him. Patterson probably would've had too much speed at that point for Marciano. It depends how much he had left, though. A one fight Ingo comeback would've been epic. Even if Marciano get some magic back it couldn't happen. Cus had a rematch clause.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Patterson would have battered him at this point. Marciano, in his career, found a vulnerable point for the division and exploited it. That window was closing quickly so he retired. Great career management in terms of legacy.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I think if he'd stuck around and fought Floyd next, say, long enough to see an eliminator take place where Floyd takes apart Moore, there'd have been huge demand for the fight and Marciano would get a great fighter in his prime on his list of wins. But, I think coming back years later, with the way Marciano fought, well, he knew better. He stayed gone for a reason. You don't tend to do anything when you fight like that and decide to come out of years of retirement. It requires too much of you, and in too many ways. He'd still have a puncher's chance but I doubt he'd be anything other than a shadow of himself from just a few years before. I'm sure he stayed away because it was not in his personality to take a fight that he didn't feel 100% confident in giving 100% and having it be enough to overcome all, no matter what. If he didn't feel that way, he wasn't Marciano.

Yeah, that's all I remembered too.
Floyd was still too young, weak chinned, inexperienced to survive Marciano in 1956. I think by late 1957/early 58 I would definitely have favored Floyd over a past his prime Rocky.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I think Patterson would have battered him at this point. Marciano, in his career, found a vulnerable point for the division and exploited it. That window was closing quickly so he retired. Great career management in terms of legacy.
Who do you like between Patterson vs a prime Marciano?

Also Patterson vs Marciano 56?
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum