boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
Rajon Rondo
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: What does the Forum think on Marciano considering a comeback in 1959 to fight Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Who do you like between Patterson vs a prime Marciano?

Also Patterson vs Marciano 56?
He likes anyone over Marciano. He is the biggest Marciano critic on the whole forum.

He would pick Eddie Crumble over Marciano.
Rajon Rondo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #17
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: What does the Forum think on Marciano considering a comeback in 1959 to fight Flo

Quote:

The Rock destroys him!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129
Default Re: What is the Forums thoughts on Marciano considering a comeback in 59 to fight Flo

Quote:
Floyd was still too young, weak chinned, inexperienced to survive Marciano in 1956. I think by late 1957/early 58 I would definitely have favored Floyd over a past his prime Rocky.
I'm not sure if you're just agreeing with me or you misread my comment and think you're disagreeing with me. It's hard telling sometimes.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #19
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: What is the Forums thoughts on Marciano considering a comeback in 59 to fight Flo

Quote:
Floyd was still too young, weak chinned, inexperienced to survive Marciano in 1956. I think by late 1957/early 58 I would definitely have favored Floyd over a past his prime Rocky.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #20
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

The Rock was thinking of coming back in 1959 to fight Ingo...who had just KO'd Floyd for the title in June...not Patterson...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I like Marciano versus Patterson prime for prime. I like prime Marciano versus just about any sub 200 pounder ever. Sometimes, I vacillate on this to a degree but not by much.

1956? I don't know how much Marciano had left in the tank. The ****ell fight doesn't give one much confidence. Moore put some hurt on him and we all know what Patterson did to Moore. I think Marciano still pulls this one out but gets off the canvas a couple times and is down on the cards when he stops Floyd. By 1959, though, no way.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajon Rondo View Post
He likes anyone over Marciano. He is the biggest Marciano critic on the whole forum.

He would pick Eddie Crumble over Marciano.
See above. It has been consistent with my statements regarding Marciano over the past few years.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajon Rondo View Post
He is the biggest Marciano critic on the whole forum
I thought he was the biggest Dempsey critic on the whole forum??? Perhaps he has the market cornered?
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I like Marciano versus Patterson prime for prime. I like prime Marciano versus just about any sub 200 pounder ever. Sometimes, I vacillate on this to a degree but not by much.

1956? I don't know how much Marciano had left in the tank. The ****ell fight doesn't give one much confidence. Moore put some hurt on him and we all know what Patterson did to Moore. I think Marciano still pulls this one out but gets off the canvas a couple times and is down on the cards when he stops Floyd. By 1959, though, no way.
I would agree w/ this.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #25
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I thought he was the biggest Dempsey critic on the whole forum??? Perhaps he has the market cornered?
I am the staunchest critic of Marciano because I don't think he has much of a chance versus a guy 60 pounds heavier, 8 inches taller with a 14" reach advantage who has made a specialty of fighting in a low risk style wherein he perfectly utilizes his physical assets and great footwork... oh, and it's a formula that has been successful at the very top of the division for a period longer than Marciano's entire career.

Other than that, and I repeat this, I have Marciano as about the best head to head threat in terms of all sub 200 pound fighters in history.

A harsh critic I am.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #26
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

unless Marciano came back at 60-70 % of himself I don't see how any version of Floyd or Ingo can survive him. I dont think Ingo survives Charles of Marciano 1 or Walcott or Moore for that matter but all 3 of those men were not the same after the beatings they took in fight 1 with Marciano but replace Patterson with Marciano and I see a loss for Floyd, even Archie post Marciano was still battle-worn. If Marciano is in top condition his work-rate, unorthodox punching and relentless power would too much for either man but I think he said he lost his drive and that alone is a good reason to stay retired if you care about your legacy.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

Quote:
I am the staunchest critic of Marciano because I don't think he has much of a chance versus a guy 60 pounds heavier, 8 inches taller with a 14" reach advantage who has made a specialty of fighting in a low risk style wherein he perfectly utilizes his physical assets and great footwork... oh, and it's a formula that has been successful at the very top of the division for a period longer than Marciano's entire career.

Other than that, and I repeat this, I have Marciano as about the best head to head threat in terms of all sub 200 pound fighters in history.

A harsh critic I am.
14 inch reach advantage is only an advantage at long range. At close range its as good as tits on a bull.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
14 inch reach advantage is only an advantage at long range. At close range its as good as tits on a bull.
I am glad you have found a tree that fascinates you.

Try looking at the forest sometime.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #29
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

Quote:
I am glad you have found a tree that fascinates you.

Try looking at the forest sometime.
Calm down Jooster, keep it boxing releated.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Calm down Jooster, keep it boxing releated.
My point being that it is not just his reach, height, strength and footwork. It is all those combined with the style that Manny imposed on him. It's a hard composite to break as has been proven over the past 7 years.

But let's keep this to Patterson-Marciano. I think I recall another thread that involves the Ukrainian.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum