Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Jordan_Davies
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 12201
Default Roy Jones Jr in talks with Steve Collins

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Roy Jones is apparently setting up a fight with former super middkeweight champion Steve Collins who has been retired since vacating his title in 1997

Dont know how true this is, I mean the BBC have reported Tyson-Holyfied 3 and Bowe-Golota cage match before this
Jordan_Davies is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr in talks with Steve Collins

Sad isn't it
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Bit late with the news pal.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

time to retire when this sort of fight is happening.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
1_man_army
The Knockout King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1883

Hopefully bull****
1_man_army is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Davies View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Roy Jones is apparently setting up a fight with former super middkeweight champion Steve Collins who has been retired since vacating his title in 1997

Dont know how true this is, I mean the BBC have reported Tyson-Holyfied 3 and Bowe-Golota cage match before this
Apparently, Steve's having various medicals this week, including a brain scan.

If he's passed fit, serious negotiations will then begin.
Loudon is online now  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

What do you make of it Loudon? Do you wish Roy would retire?

I think he does a great job when hes on the sky sports panel and its probably where he should stay.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
What do you make of it Loudon? Do you wish Roy would retire?

I think he does a great job when hes on the sky sports panel and its probably where he should stay.
It's really hard for me mate, because I'm such a huge fan.

I know that he's got to retire, and I'd hate to see him suffer permanent damage. That would be heartbreaking.

But at the same time, I'd love him to fight another 20 times. I know he can't and that's ridiculous, but I'll miss him that much when he finally calls it a day.

He's been my hero for years, since I used to order VHS tapes of him from he back of boxing magazines.

I love it when a fight is signed, and I can see all of his inteviews and watch him train etc, aswell as the fight itself.

But he looked awful against Glazewski, with no balance.

So I do want him to quit, but I'd love to see him fight again, against absolutely anyone.

If the fight with Collins comes off, I will probably be he only person in the world who is genuinely excited. I know it's sad, but it's he truth.

I personally think that he'll fight another three times for definite.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 527

It will be strange if it does come off but definitely intriguing. I think for Collins at 48 is pushing it and he cant have that much to offer. It would be nice to see Roy fight one last time on HBO , but its probably not likely that fight will be.
At least when Roy does retire he'll still be around with the HBO crew. Id like for Collins to be on the panel more for Sky, i think he's a good ****yst like Roy.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

we all know roys not gonna quit. if he wants to eat through a straw thats his choice
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
shadow111
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
It's really hard for me mate, because I'm such a huge fan.

I know that he's got to retire, and I'd hate to see him suffer permanent damage. That would be heartbreaking.

But at the same time, I'd love him to fight another 20 times. I know he can't and that's ridiculous, but I'll miss him that much when he finally calls it a day.

He's been my hero for years, since I used to order VHS tapes of him from he back of boxing magazines.

I love it when a fight is signed, and I can see all of his inteviews and watch him train etc, aswell as the fight itself.

But he looked awful against Glazewski, with no balance.

So I do want him to quit, but I'd love to see him fight again, against absolutely anyone.

If the fight with Collins comes off, I will probably be he only person in the world who is genuinely excited. I know it's sad, but it's he truth.

I personally think that he'll fight another three times for definite.
I agree with you Loudon. He did look awful against Glazewski. Something wasn't right in his preparation to the fight. he looked exhausted as he entered the ring. however, the Roy Jones that fight Bernard Hopkins in 2010, despite losing the decision, in that fight Roy still had it.

that was at Light Heavyweight, but after that Roy gained weight and moved up to cruiser weight and hasn't been the same since. He looked okay against Lebedev until the very end, but didn't have the same footspeed he had against Hopkins. I think Roy is doing too much promtion and not dedicating himself to his craft. he's getting too involved in the media side of boxing. Roy is great as a commentator, but he can't do all that and still train properly at his age.

Roy did so good against Hopkins because he was motivated to take Hopkins seriously and tried to pick his spots. he lost the decision although I thought it was very close. Roy started landing on Hopkins late in that fight, despite dirty fighting from Hopkins all night.

for the last 2 years, Roy has been saying he wants to get one of the sanctioned cruiserweight belts, but i think due to his recent performance is having trouble getting title fights. at this point, i think that's not due to whether he wins or loses, but how he looks.

Do i want Roy to keep fighting? i did in 2010. i felt like an improved version of the LW 2010 Roy could still turn back the clock and pull an upset or two with the right matchmaking. But now i'm not sure sure. now Roy seems to have aged a lot in the last two years. The Collins fight is interesting but Collins has been retired for 15 years. But I'm a die hard Roy fan, and whatever he decides to do, I'll watch Roy go blow by blow with whoever to the bitter end no matter what.
shadow111 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
vast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Collins begged to fight jones in 97 but roy refused. now roy wants to fight.....joke.
vast is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
Collins begged to fight jones in 97 but roy refused. now roy wants to fight.....joke.
It's not as straight forward as that.

Look where both fighters were at in 97 and 99, when Collins got in the ring with him.

I have a huge amount of respect for Collins, the way he chased Roy, but boxing is a business. Roy did mess him around a little, but Lou de Bella of HBO didn't want to make a fight with Roy and Collins, because it wouldn't have made anything.

Roy was trying to unify at 175, and Collins had been retired, and he'd never fought there. HBO wanted to match Collins and Calzaghe together, with the winner potentially facing Roy, after he'd fought Reggie Johnson to unify.

But Collins retired while training.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
It will be strange if it does come off but definitely intriguing. I think for Collins at 48 is pushing it and he cant have that much to offer. It would be nice to see Roy fight one last time on HBO , but its probably not likely that fight will be.
At least when Roy does retire he'll still be around with the HBO crew. Id like for Collins to be on the panel more for Sky, i think he's a good ****yst like Roy.
Roy look awful in his last fight, but at least he's training everyday and in some sort of shape.

But Collins would be a lot more determined, and anything can happen with Roy at this stage. I'm glad he didn't fight Kimbo Slice.

I don't think Roy will ever fight live on HBO again.

I don't think I've heard Collins as an ****yst.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

2 of my childhood heroes reduced to this circus act.

Makes me want to cry!
irishny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum