Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

This is not a ranking list , just wanna know your top 5 personal favs and why they are your personal favs.. Here's mine, debate it all you want guys.!

1. Frazier- Great heart!, Great determination, and that beautiful left hook.
2. Ali- Speaks for itself.
2. Marco Antonio Barrera- Hes my hero!..What he did to the Prince..Gold!..And he reminds me of a throwback..A true boxer-puncher.
3. DLH- He was the man!..Fought everyone, always put a great show and made his mark at both LW and WW ( which was his bread and butter.)
4. Holyfield- The real deal!..also speaks for itself. What could'nt Evander do?
5. Hearns- Just love the guy, also dug his style and in my opinion the hardest hitting WW of all time ( Im sure ill catch some shit for that.) Tommy was the total package.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Rocky Marciano - The most determined, dedicated, disciplined fighter that ever lived
Joe Frazier - Heart, grit, in-fighting, action fighter with great determination/skills
Ali - Spartan warrior in the ring with grace and speed. Great personality & wit outside of it.
Carmen Basilio - Tough SOB. No quit in him. Solid fighter.
Evander Holyfield - Crowd-pleasing, great skills, incredible will. Versatile fighter.

After the top 3 it cuts tougher for me. The last two can be interchanged for a host of many fighters I enjoy/like.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Rocky Marciano - The most determined, dedicated, disciplined fighter that ever lived
Joe Frazier - Heart, grit, in-fighting, action fighter with great determination/skills
Ali - Spartan warrior in the ring with grace and speed. Great personality & wit outside of it.
Carmen Basilio - Tough SOB. No quit in him. Solid fighter.
Evander Holyfield - Crowd-pleasing, great skills, incredible will. Versatile fighter.

After the top 3 it cuts tougher for me. The last two can be interchanged for a host of many fighters I enjoy/like.

Great list!!..Good call with Basilio...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Oscar
Pea
Jones
Greb
Ali

So many great skills amongst them. Ride or die baby.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Oscar
Pea
Jones
Greb
Ali

So many great skills amongst them. Ride or die baby.
Another good list Turbo..Good to see Pea and Greb in there..( Somehow I knew DLH would be at the top with you )...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #6
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Another good list Turbo..Good to see Pea and Greb in there..( Somehow I knew DLH would be at the top with you )...
I love Oscar and Whitaker its not a secret. I collect memorabiiia from both actually haha, guilty pleasure, but whatever, boxing stuff is cheap.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
I love Oscar and Whitaker its not a secret. I collect memorabiiia from both actually haha, guilty pleasure, but whatever, boxing stuff is cheap.
Hey, You could do alot worse but not much better with a DLH or a Pea!...Thats a fact. Oscars in my top 5!..
Old 02-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Hey, You could do alot worse but not much better with a DLH or a Pea!...Thats a fact. Oscars in my top 5!..
Good man. Oscar stuff is hard to come by (authentically) but Whitaker stuff is so cheap. as is Jones jr. I have a signed Pea card I got for like 40 bucks and a Jones sig'd card for 25 bucks. I'm fighting for a Pea Sports Illustrated signed right now actually for 80 bucks.

Oskee ****ing cost me my damned right buttocks for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Jack Dempsey - Rugged fast handed brawler, always exiting
Tony Zale - Best body puncher in history and tough as nails
Joe Louis - The greatest Heavyweight Champion (not heavyweight but heavyweight champion)
Jersey Joe Walcott - How can you not like the Wallcott shuffle and all of his moves
Sonny Liston - The long jab hard straight right and amazing left hook, always fun to watch

Maybe Roberto Duran at 5 not sure though
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Lotsa heavyweight love
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #11
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Lotsa heavyweight love
Some pretty good ones out there, Greb would be in my favourite but havn't seen him fight so yeah
Duran would probably replace Liston but i just prefer his fights with Williams so i have him there
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #12
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

randy turpin
ken buchanan
benny lynch
jack kid berg
nigel benn
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #13
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ali - incredible speed and cast iron chin never been a heavyweight like him also funny guy
liston - the epitomy of a badass
duran - greatest lightweight ever not only agressive but also very talented
frazier - never give up mentality
jack dempsey - incredible ferocious heavyweight with great speed and power
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

favourite americans
sonny liston
ezzard charles
joe louis
lew jenkins
ike williams

plus hundreds more
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #15
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jersey Joe Walcott
Ezzard Charles
Lloyd Marshall, all 3 skillfull clever class acts, among the best fighters in history and from the greatest era too.

Jock McAvoy & Bert Gilroy arguably Britain's greatest middleweights, also from the best era ever and for MW's, including the fact that your own weight was'nt enough but men were always fighting UP in those days and these two personified it more than any other British MW's.

Honorable mention to Robert Villemain, again from the best era, but this 'little' WW cum MW is whom I call "the Proof Fighter", Villemain IS PROOF that the TOP Foreign fighters were as good or better than their American rivals, just look who this 'little' MW fought, beat and gave hell too.
thistle1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum