Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #16
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Four fighter's are from USA but I'm a Brit

Harry Greb - GOAT, no question for me
Evander Holyfield - The only one of three fighters I have truly supported in my life time & what an exciting, brave fighter.
Iran Barkley - The 2nd fighter I supported was a raw but brutal fighter.
Dennis Andries - The 3rd I supported. Achieved a good deal with limited skill but utter determination.
Matty Matthews - Former Welterweight Champ, I have collected material of this fighter for 2 years now. Somewhat of an over-achiever but was rugged.
scribbs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

At the moment

Tyson
Hamed
Jones
Pea
Holyfield
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Bruno

Noone else contends really. I love the underdog though.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Mike Tyson - undersized, blended speed, technique and ferocity to achieve emphatic results.
Harry Greb - His record reads like science fiction. Beat so many HOF fighters and so many bigger fighters that parallels to modern exponents are impossible.
Sam Langford - a fighter, through and though. power, fearlessness, results.
Joe Louis - the prettiest combo puncher the division, and perhaps the sport, has seen. a cold blooded assassin
Roberto Duran - next level skills mixed with ferocity, moved seamlessly between offense and defense.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

Bobby Chacon
Roberto Duran
Jack Dempsey
Wilfredo Gomez
Nigel Benn

ALL provided fireworks
You know when u watch these theres gonna be entertainment
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Éder Jofre - I love his skills and he is the first old fighter I watched...
Joe Louis - Again, love his skills too much..
Sugar Ray Leonard - Same thing, I can watch the guy everyday...
Juan Manuel Marquez - Very nice guy, I love his interviews, his show on ESPN Golpe a Golpe is class and after his last win I started to really support the guy, hard working man!
Primo Carnera - I´m not sure why I like him so much, probably because he is a bit disrespected by some fans, and also he was a winner in life, a champion who never had the right recognition.

I love too many fighters, probably I forgot someone...

edit- I knew it, Victor GAlindez !! I would take Marquez out and put Galindez in there !
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Pernell Whitaker-Ridiculous talent
Jersey Joe walcott-smooth as ice
James Toney- Fought everyone, just stood there an made people miss effortlessly
Mike Tyson- Action an skill, undersized but pulled off a great career
Roberto Duran- Crazy longevity, great an just fun to watch
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Marco Antonio Barrera
Watching this guy get his ass whooped on Eurosport in 03 pretty much got me hooked on Boxing. I don't know why I warmed to him seeing as he wasn't looking to good against Manny Pacquiao, but maybe it was because I wanted to see his star rise again. I was aware he was the heavy favourite and among the sport's elite at the time given the publicity his fight with Hamed had gotten in the UK a few years prior. As I became a bigger fan of the sport, it soon became apparent that MAB had a style quite pleasing on the eye. Calculated, well-schooled, super smooth, and he'd contested in some of the greatest fights of the last 25 years. What's not to like? He'll always be my favourite.

Myung Woo Yuh
Yuh looked classy in beating Tokushima, which was the first bit of footage I ever saw of the Korean Light Flyweight. The more I watched of him, the more I liked him. He reminded me a bit of Chavez the way he would go to the body and throw his right hand. I now own over 20 fights of this guy and he's such a well rounded machine. As tough as the come, as durable as they come, and yet he combined these intangibles with good technical ability. He's not too dissimilar to MAB in that respect. Good pair of trunks, too.

Gerry Penalosa

A tremendously talented fighter at his peak. I feel he could have done so much more at Super Flyweight if he applied himself just that little bit more. Super smooth combination puncher, I just love watching him putting them together against the likes of Rojas and and Young-Joo Cho. Tough as **** taking those shots late in his career against JML and the one punch stoppage over Johnny Gonzalez was stunning. But it's really during the late 90s, early 00s that you really looked at Penalosa and thought you were watching a special fighter.

I admire a lot of fighters so it's difficult to narrow it down to just five, but if I was pushed then the next two names would probably be Michael Spinks and Sumbu Kalambay. Sumbu is a fighter I've recently watched a lot of and he's one of the classiest operators I've ever seen. I'd struggle to name a better performance than the one he put on against McCallum in their first fight, and I thought he looked a comfortable level above Graham in their first fight too. Spinks? He looked awkward in the ring, but he also threw punches with a lot of commitment and showed throughout his career as a LHW that he could cater to any style. He seemed very likable in interviews too.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Jack Dempsey - Rugged fast handed brawler, always exiting
Tony Zale - Best body puncher in history and tough as nails
Joe Louis - The greatest Heavyweight Champion (not heavyweight but heavyweight champion)
Jersey Joe Walcott - How can you not like the Wallcott shuffle and all of his moves
Sonny Liston - The long jab hard straight right and amazing left hook, always fun to watch

Maybe Roberto Duran at 5 not sure though
Tony Zale!...good call!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
El Bujia
Champion
East Side Guru

Don't know if I can do just 5.

Gomez
Whitaker
Duran
Conteh
Saad

Maybe something like that.
El Bujia is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbs View Post
Four fighter's are from USA but I'm a Brit

Harry Greb - GOAT, no question for me
Evander Holyfield - The only one of three fighters I have truly supported in my life time & what an exciting, brave fighter.
Iran Barkley - The 2nd fighter I supported was a raw but brutal fighter.
Dennis Andries - The 3rd I supported. Achieved a good deal with limited skill but utter determination.
Matty Matthews - Former Welterweight Champ, I have collected material of this fighter for 2 years now. Somewhat of an over-achiever but was rugged.

Barkley!..You dont see that everyday, but im a fan!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bujia View Post
Don't know if I can do just 5.

Gomez
Whitaker
Duran
Conteh
Saad

Maybe something like that.
I know 5 is hard...its good to see Saad on a list though!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnxhands View Post
Pernell Whitaker-Ridiculous talent
Jersey Joe walcott-smooth as ice
James Toney- Fought everyone, just stood there an made people miss effortlessly
Mike Tyson- Action an skill, undersized but pulled off a great career
Roberto Duran- Crazy longevity, great an just fun to watch
Great list Brnx!!...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Does anyone collect stuff? Boxing is ridicuously cheap aside from HW things.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

How can Harry Greb be your favourite fighter, he isn't even on film (besides some stupid sparring)
dyna is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum