Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #31
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

i'm avoiding other posts until i post mine:

1) Roy Jones-nothing about roy jones on the surface should make him my favourite. But i simply adore watching him work. Fluid and nearly superhuman at his best, he looks like a video game version of boxing put to real life. Good on the mic to and tremendous analyst

2)Roberto Duran-for the leonard fight, for the moore fight, and personally for the 2nd round of the hearns fight...he's everything a fighter should be and should aspire to. Pure machismo with the skill and balls to back it up. He had the courage to walk right into a near certain knockout against Tommy, grinning all the way. Love him or hate him, he demands respect

3)Micky Ward-was #1, he's pushed down over the years. The first fight with gatti got me into boxing and I've never looked back...I consider his career nearly as much a highlight reel as Arturo's. Gatti, neary, augustus he never had a bad fight. The moment that exemplifies him the most is in the 2nd gatti fight when, seeing 3 gatti in the ring following a knockdown and shattered eardrum, he waves gatti him for more. He had no quit in him. Not a ****ing ounce.

4) Joe Frazier-a train of destruction that gained momentum with every moment, he was the substance to ali's style. A fought balls to the wall, every time and not only said he was willing to die in the ring but nearly proved it in manilla. So much more than his famous left hook he was an honest man who a simple goal: grind you down and knock you out

5)Harry Greb-I struggled with this one because there is no footage of greb to be had. But no other fighter can move me to tears with his record alone. He fought everyone, at every weight in an era of grit and testicular fortitude. His name should stand above all others and yet he is largely forgotten. I cannot think of a fighter whose exploits I more enjoy hearing on the classic and as superhuman as Roy Jones looked, you can believe Greb was every bit as much in real life
Jorodz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

I honestly dont' get all the people picking Greb.. if you can't see a fighter (and part of why we like fighters personally is aesthetically) how can he be a top 5 choice? Anyways, I guess to each their own...

1. Duran
2. Whitaker
3. Jack Johnson
4. Walcott
5. Mosley/Langford
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

You could actually switch Ali with Mosley, even though he cheated on my #1
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #34
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali, Holyfield, Gatti, Robinson, Pacquiao, gutsy warriors who got into action fights and tested themselves. However, I'd probably like a bunch of older boxers more than I do if there were just more film of them.
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681

Floyd Mayweather Jr- The Master
Harry Greb- Dirty brawler even though no footage, what's not to like? Fought everyone at any weight class. GOAT
Pernell Whitaker- The Master
Aaron Pryor- Could hit you with both hands, kill you on the inside, Great boxing as well. Throws thousands of punches, unbeatable in his prime
Carlos Monzon- What's not to love?
MVC is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #36
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ezzard Charles

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Evander Holyfield

Sugar Ray Leonard

...but if you ask me next week I may have a different list... but Ezzard Charles would probably still be on it

Honorable mention-

Thomas Hearns, Mike McCallum, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Gene Tunney
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
How can Harry Greb be your favourite fighter, he isn't even on film (besides some stupid sparring)

......................Maybe because seeing what they look like on film might not be everyone's criteria for whom they pick as a favorite?

Rather silly question.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
i'm avoiding other posts until i post mine:

1) Roy Jones-nothing about roy jones on the surface should make him my favourite. But i simply adore watching him work. Fluid and nearly superhuman at his best, he looks like a video game version of boxing put to real life. Good on the mic to and tremendous analyst

2)Roberto Duran-for the leonard fight, for the moore fight, and personally for the 2nd round of the hearns fight...he's everything a fighter should be and should aspire to. Pure machismo with the skill and balls to back it up. He had the courage to walk right into a near certain knockout against Tommy, grinning all the way. Love him or hate him, he demands respect

3)Micky Ward-was #1, he's pushed down over the years. The first fight with gatti got me into boxing and I've never looked back...I consider his career nearly as much a highlight reel as Arturo's. Gatti, neary, augustus he never had a bad fight. The moment that exemplifies him the most is in the 2nd gatti fight when, seeing 3 gatti in the ring following a knockdown and shattered eardrum, he waves gatti him for more. He had no quit in him. Not a ****ing ounce.

4) Joe Frazier-a train of destruction that gained momentum with every moment, he was the substance to ali's style. A fought balls to the wall, every time and not only said he was willing to die in the ring but nearly proved it in manilla. So much more than his famous left hook he was an honest man who a simple goal: grind you down and knock you out

5)Harry Greb-I struggled with this one because there is no footage of greb to be had. But no other fighter can move me to tears with his record alone. He fought everyone, at every weight in an era of grit and testicular fortitude. His name should stand above all others and yet he is largely forgotten. I cannot think of a fighter whose exploits I more enjoy hearing on the classic and as superhuman as Roy Jones looked, you can believe Greb was every bit as much in real life

Nice to see Micky!...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #39
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Floyd Mayweather Jr- The Master
Harry Greb- Dirty brawler even though no footage, what's not to like? Fought everyone at any weight class. GOAT
Pernell Whitaker- The Master
Aaron Pryor- Could hit you with both hands, kill you on the inside, Great boxing as well. Throws thousands of punches, unbeatable in his prime
Carlos Monzon- What's not to love?
Mayweather!?....Master at what?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #40
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
I honestly dont' get all the people picking Greb.. if you can't see a fighter (and part of why we like fighters personally is aesthetically) how can he be a top 5 choice? Anyways, I guess to each their own...

1. Duran
2. Whitaker
3. Jack Johnson
4. Walcott
5. Mosley/Langford
true but if you're choosing on aesthetics, i certainly don't understand picking jack johnson...
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Mayweather!?....Master at what?
Defense, rap music, etc.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #42
scribbs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
How can Harry Greb be your favourite fighter, he isn't even on film (besides some stupid sparring)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
I honestly dont' get all the people picking Greb.. if you can't see a fighter (and part of why we like fighters personally is aesthetically) how can he be a top 5 choice? A
some of us can read for long time
scribbs is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
true but if you're choosing on aesthetics, i certainly don't understand picking jack johnson...
Nice little contradiction there
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #44
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I actually like Johnson in this regard. He was ahead of his time, and you can see this on film.. Plus, it requires a little bit of imagination.. the film isn't crisp, choppy, missing frames, and yet he still appears solid in many areas and above his peers.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Nice little contradiction there
err an actual contradiction would be picking somebody who also isn't on film... There is film of Johnson there supercharger.
KuRuPT is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum