Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
I actually like Johnson in this regard. He was ahead of his time, and you can see this on film.. Plus, it requires a little bit of imagination.. the film isn't crisp, choppy, missing frames, and yet he still appears solid in many areas and above his peers.
that's fair and he was certainly ahead of his time. i imagine though there are many other factors that place him so high on your list
Jorodz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #47
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
err an actual contradiction would be picking somebody who also isn't on film... There is film of Johnson there supercharger.
So those grainy films made him your #3 favourite ever?
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #48
Trail
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Corrales
Gatti
Hagler
Valero
Hatton
Trail is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #49
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
So those grainy films made him your #3 favourite ever?

I dont get it either..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #50
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

naz - because i was young and he was cool
pep and saddler - favourite film
charles - as much for marciano 1 as the rest of his incredible career
carl froch -
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #51
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Smile Re: The Forums personal top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
that's fair and he was certainly ahead of his time. i imagine though there are many other factors that place him so high on your list
Oh yeah there are certainly other factors
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #52
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

lol yeah not much on johnson or a big fan but i love what he stood for, an hes historic so i'm showing respect for him through black history month
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #53
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

This is a hard thread - but let's do this.

Joe Frazier - what a champion, heart, work rate, stamina, but above all, great dignity and a wonderful human being. Much underrated in my opinion. Spectacular fights.

Mike Tyson - Enigmatic bad boy figure of emmense, devastating early talent. So exploited. Like an old time fighter, a modern day Sonny Liston - used and abused. What might have been...

Ali - I just revere what he brought into boxing. Fresh air. So much talent. Beguiling, tongue in cheek personal charisma. He has a dark and complex side to him that doesn't get talked about, and he fought too long, but genuinely great.

Joe Calzaghe - a superb boxer. End of. Great technique.

Marco Antonio Barrera - special, what a warrior. Again, as someone else has said, the way he schooled the complacent Naseem Hamed, the performances against Eric Morales... Great.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Defense, rap music, etc.

You got that right turbo!!!...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #55
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail View Post
Corrales
Gatti
Hagler
Valero
Hatton

Nice to finally see Haglar!...Love the guy..
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #56
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanPhil View Post
This is a hard thread - but let's do this.

Joe Frazier - what a champion, heart, work rate, stamina, but above all, great dignity and a wonderful human being. Much underrated in my opinion. Spectacular fights.

Mike Tyson - Enigmatic bad boy figure of emmense, devastating early talent. So exploited. Like an old time fighter, a modern day Sonny Liston - used and abused. What might have been...

Ali - I just revere what he brought into boxing. Fresh air. So much talent. Beguiling, tongue in cheek personal charisma. He has a dark and complex side to him that doesn't get talked about, and he fought too long, but genuinely great.

Joe Calzaghe - a superb boxer. End of. Great technique.

Marco Antonio Barrera - special, what a warrior. Again, as someone else has said, the way he schooled the complacent Naseem Hamed, the performances against Eric Morales... Great.

Great list .....were pretty close
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #57
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I love Oscar and Whitaker its not a secret. I collect memorabiiia from both actually haha, guilty pleasure, but whatever, boxing stuff is cheap.
Here's one of my nice dual signed Oscar posters

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Uploaded with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #58
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760
Default Re: Top 5 favorite boxers and why. Any era , Any weight class..

Roy Jones Jr.. - I was young the first time I saw him fight, and i was in awe. I had never and still have never seen anything quite like it. It is what actually got me into boxing.

Marco Antonio Barrera.- I have always admired his heart and will to fight the best. He usually always made for an exciting fight.

Muhammad Ali.- Since gaining appreciation for the sport, I couldn't help but admire this man. Not only for his insane boxing ability, but the way he carried himself out of the ring as well.. Very controversial man, from what I have learned he was the kind of guy you could feel when he walked in a room, very smart, very witty, a boxing legend.

Lennox Lewis- I gotta say I have always liked Lennox, even before he was known as the man at HW, I knew it was only a matter of time. He also has a persona I admire, and at his best was an outright beast in the ring that I wouldn't pick anyone to beat with confidence.

Thomas Hearns- What is not to like about the Hitman? Powerful, tall, rangy fighter that outboxed one of the best fighters ever, knocked out one of the best fighters ever.. He really had it all, his stuff was legendary. The sport misses fighters like this.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #59
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Some unexpected names like Bruno, Turpin and Carnera - that's cool.

I've been following boxing for almost 10 years now. I still haven't decided who my favorite fighters really are. I do know what I prefer to see in a boxer. Maybe someone can help me.

whipping reach (for leverage)
good footwork
unorthodox moves
somewhat slick
fast, light feet
good technique
athletic
a bit clown
intense
don't neglect body punching
thinker
powerful
good jab
good combos
decent chin
use head, foot, upper body movement over blocking

Any ideas who would fit most of these criterias ? I need a couple fighters to dickride, I can't be a credible boxing forum poster if I don't.

Here are five I like without them being my favorite:

Moorer - good technician, very sneaky and smart, converted southpaw, powerful lead hand
Sanders - great athlete at his best, exciting, fast, powerful southpaw
Charles - PERFECTION (in my eyes anyway)
Toney - 160 to heavy, fears no one, great skillset
Holmes - complete fighter = skills, beard, smarts, jab, athleticism, determination
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #60
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Salvador Sanchez - He died the year before I got into boxing, and so I didn't see him fight until the late 90's when I saw some videotapes. I was a fan back in the 80's though. Always admired his cool, his great work ethic, and the fact that he was just very serious about his craft. I was always amazed to look at photos of him in action, and never once see one where he had his mouth open. I still haven't.

Bobby Chacon - Skill in and of itself is hopelessly boring. You add some vulnerability to the mix and a good backstory and you have Bobby Chacon. All the more interesting for his flaws. Plus, he had the heart of a lion.

Alexis Arguello - I firmly believe that one can be a stone killer in the ring and a complete gentleman outside the ring, and that there's nothing wrong with that. I really appreciate that, as a matter of fact. Never understood people's fascination with assholes. Besides, there aren't many more polished, complete fighters than Arguello. Flawless punching technique, terrific bodypuncher, expert at pacing, shocking power, warrior's heart...........he had it all, and was a good man to boot.

Marvin Hagler - My first boxing hero. He was the best in the world when I first got interested in the sport, and the toughest. He was such a throwback. I used to love the stories of him sequestering himself away in a jail cell in training.

Matthew Saad Muhammad - The kid who, at the age of three or so, was taken out into the neighborhood by his older brother, and when he got out far enough, did as he was instructed by his mother and took off running, leaving little Maxwell Loach alone and crying on a street corner, to be taken in by an orphanage. That little boy grew up to be the impossibly tough, super-courageous Matthew Saad Muhammad. That story alone is enough to make me a fan, but we've all seen him fight. You know.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum