boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Nel has heart
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 860
Default Prime Duran vs Prime Ray Robinson.

Nel has heart is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248
Default Re: Prime Duran vs Prime Ray Robinson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel has heart View Post
Don't get me wrong, Duran would any fighter in HISTORY problems at LW. This fight however would have to take place at 147, 154, or 160 in which case SRR wins a close decision.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I like SRR by knockout. Duran is not going to stick and move or fight to survive, and Robinson is an extremely hard hitter who was even able to stop durable middleweights. I don't think it will be as one-sided as Duran vs Hearns, but i do think Robinson finds the stoppage before the 12th or wins a convincing decision including a knockdown. Too big, too talented.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Ray Robinson at any weight,135 and up would beat any version of Roberto Duran.In his prime Robinson had to fight the best of a vast pool of great contenders,and because he was 5ft,11inches would give Robinson an advantage over the great Robert that Duran could'nt surmount...At 21 years old and 135-138 lbs he was thrown in with a Sammy 'THE CLUTCH"Angott,and won over Angott, who I believe because of his difficult style would have given Duran a tussle...Robinson,by far the best fighter I saw,followed by Pep,Ike Williams,Duran ,among the smaller guys...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

One more point...One of my best fantasy match,would be Roberto Duran against a YOUNG BEAU JACK, who I saw many times in his prime..Beau Jack would match Duran in strengh and volume of punches Duran never faced before,and Beau Jack never quit,EVER..DREAM MATCH, YESSIR...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Nel has heart
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 860

Yep, I agree. Robinson too good for anyone. Also had a granite, rock solid chin. I think the only time he got stopped was through heat exhaustion.
Nel has heart is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Let's not forget that Ray Leonard could hardly lay a glove on Duran in Montreal. Most of his work consisted of flurries from the inside, which isn't exactly home run territory for Robinson (or anybody for that matter). Hearns isn't that relevant, since he has the height and reach that SRR quite simply doesn't, and was much harder for a much worse version of Duran to get inside on. Something to think about.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Ray Robinson at any weight,135 and up would beat any version of Roberto Duran.In his prime Robinson had to fight the best of a vast pool of great contenders,and because he was 5ft,11inches would give Robinson an advantage over the great Robert that Duran could'nt surmount.
Yeah, because Duran could never beat anyone taller than him...

Robinson is only an inch taller than SRL and actually has shorter arms.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Burt, great reads as usual. You are already established in my book as an invaluable resource on ESB Classic.

Montreal Duran would pose problems for even the best WW Robinson. Robinson is simply unlikely to stop that version.

Let me interrupt this post for a pontification: Sometimes it seems that the formidable Chris Pontius and many other Duran-doubters confuse what others see as the inconsistency of Duran with "excuses." Duran looked quite bummish, quite often after June 1980, but when he was on, he was among the best fighting machines in history.

His detractors don't seem to be willing to recognize that. They do ***** math and average out the version that beat Leonard with the version that quit. They average out the version that was very competetive against Hagler with the version that came in soft against Hearns... and fail to realize what Duran was capable of. It's a shame really.

Duran's inconsistency occurred
after he had over 70 fights
after he was looking at his prime in the rear-view mirror, and
after he was regularly and inevitably looking up at his opponents.

But his unwillingness to train properly and find motivation cost him dearly in terms of legacy. That's just a damn fact.

Anyway, Duran would lose to Robinson, but not by much. I think that he would be the boss inside, just like he was against Leonard, I'd argue that he had more defensive skill, and would be more elusive to get inside. Leonard could punch, but Duran accepted it in Montreal and it did not disrupt his raging, ultimate objective -to beat hell out of Leonard. But Robinson's power would disrupt Duran. Duran respected power and Robinson's power would be quick enough to land on Duran's elusive whiskers... and it would be forceful enough to give even a raging Duran pause.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Robinson KO before the 6th round
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Let's not forget that Ray Leonard could hardly lay a glove on Duran in Montreal. Most of his work consisted of flurries from the inside, which isn't exactly home run territory for Robinson (or anybody for that matter). Hearns isn't that relevant, since he has the height and reach that SRR quite simply doesn't, and was much harder for a much worse version of Duran to get inside on. Something to think about.
Even if Duran manages to get Robinson into a dogfight, robinson is far better than Leonard on the inside/mid range and a better fighter
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran took Leonard to school the first time around fighting on the inside. Leonard (and Dundee) found out and planned differently in the rematch. I suscribed to Stonehands' ****ogy that Leonard and Dundee planned to fight the Montreal fight exctly how it happened. Dundee always said prior that if you went backward with Duran, that's how he gained momentum. What alot of people don't take into consideration with Ray Robinson is how rough he was on the inside compared to a Leonard. Watch the fight with LaMotta, Ray will often use the top of his head to deter LaMotta from charging in. Standing at 5'11" he will get under the shorter LaMotta and drive his shoulder either into Jake's body or face. Hopkins is considered slick at this stuff...Robinson ain't no slouch either...watch it. Duran would find Robinson rough on the outside and the inside. Much more experienced than a Ray Leonard at fighting that way. School would not be in session for Robinson, he has seen it, and done it.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Even if Duran manages to get Robinson into a dogfight, robinson is far better than Leonard on the inside/mid range and a better fighter
Beat me to it.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
I like SRR by knockout. Duran is not going to stick and move or fight to survive, and Robinson is an extremely hard hitter who was even able to stop durable middleweights. I don't think it will be as one-sided as Duran vs Hearns, but i do think Robinson finds the stoppage before the 12th or wins a convincing decision including a knockdown. Too big, too talented.

I see it this way
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Well, obviously, Sugar Ray Robinson could hold his own inside, but posters claiming that he'd just walk in there and blow Duran away are clearly ignoring how elusive Duran was. Like I say, he was incredibly hard to hit from the outside and would most likely be able to take large portions of the fight up close where it becomes a home fixture.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum